40 Minutes Left Before Dancing

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not offended at all.

The reason why I posted what I did is because it was so overwhelmingly obvious throughout the course of the game to me. I'm real giddy about the win and being 40 minutes from the tourney. However, I just couldn't get over how poorly NT played.

I spent like 10 minutes on my show last talking about NT being two wins away from the tourney and even discussed it with Mark Followill when I had him on. I'm real happy and you better believe if they make the tourney I'll be talking about them and we'll have JJ on. And of course, I'll ask him why the team sucks so bad and how did they manage to win 23 games and if he read my posts on GMG.COM! A little kidding there.

But, you guys are right, we should enjoy the win and I should have waited to probably post this until tomorrow. My bad, but my opinions still stand.

I'm happy that we get Dave Barnett tomorrow and not the spare that ALWAYS does Sunbelt sports. He's been getting names of North Texas athletes wrong for years. How many times did he say Woodsen!?

Fell free to rip me, but if today's game is representative of this team then they aren't that good, be realistic.

I mean come on, they have no real offense to speak of. It's pretty much one-on-one and hope somebody gets a shot. They force shots, they have poor spacing, they made a lot of questionable decisions. Those are things you can tell from one game and don't have to see them all season. Maybe today was an off game fine, but it's easy to tell they're not that good. And I don't care about winning 6 of 7, this league stinks.

MTSU is HORRIBLE yet they found a way to stay close throughout. It's ok to take off the green colored glasses every once in awhile.

HOWEVER, let it be known, NT making the tourney will be a close 2nd to the football team winning the New Orleans Bowl.

Ok, with just your last sentence I can summarily discount the entire rest of your post. You wanna talk about having to depend on the other team "stinking"? How about needing FIVE interceptions to beat Cincinnati in that game? This IS NOT a bad NT team. Let's run down the list of things they overcame to win by 7:

1)Leading scorer didn't even play due to illness

2)Howerton, Mangrum, Rich Young played significant minutes

3)Foul trouble kept Wooden and Williams off of the floor simultaneously for long stretches

4)3-ball wasn't falling

And none of this even takes into account the things they overcame to win the quarterfinal.

And don't tell me "they created some of their own problems" because, while you'd be right, it is insulting to not recognize that they rectified their mistakes and pulled through.

How in the hell can you decide a team is bad after 1 game? Just plain silly. In case you haven't noticed, we are 22-10, and have a consistently top ranked national offense (always top #30, sometimes in the teens) for most of the season.

Only an idiot who spends all of his time watching NBA ball would think we are hopelessly bad. We have a very talented college basketball team here, and I think you'll start to figure that out very soon. :)

Bad teams don't win 22 games.

They do when they count wins against teams like Jarvis Christian and Bellwhatever. Folks both of those teams counted our game with them as exhibitions, yet we count them as wins.

I'm not offended at all.

The reason why I posted what I did is because it was so overwhelmingly obvious throughout the course of the game to me. I'm real giddy about the win and being 40 minutes from the tourney. However, I just couldn't get over how poorly NT played.

I spent like 10 minutes on my show last talking about NT being two wins away from the tourney and even discussed it with Mark Followill when I had him on. I'm real happy and you better believe if they make the tourney I'll be talking about them and we'll have JJ on. And of course, I'll ask him why the team sucks so bad and how did they manage to win 23 games and if he read my posts on GMG.COM! A little kidding there.

But, you guys are right, we should enjoy the win and I should have waited to probably post this until tomorrow. My bad, but my opinions still stand.

I'm happy that we get Dave Barnett tomorrow and not the spare that ALWAYS does Sunbelt sports. He's been getting names of North Texas athletes wrong for years. How many times did he say Woodsen!?

No you are right on. This team is not very good. I believe Scottie on the Mean and Green board pointed out that UNT's strength of schedule is 274th in the country. Yes you read that right - 274!

Is nobody going to bring up the fact that we were without our biggest scoring threat tonight and that is one of the reasons why we had a poor offensive game? Hopefully KD will be over the flu by the Championship.

Go Mean Green!!

You mean our player that was clutch last game going 1 - 18 shooting? Is that who you are speaking of?

They do when they count wins against teams like Jarvis Christian and Bellwhatever. Folks both of those teams counted our game with them as exhibitions, yet we count them as wins.

Fine then...bad teams don't win 19 often do they? :P

No you are right on. This team is not very good. I believe Scottie on the Mean and Green board pointed out that UNT's strength of schedule is 274th in the country. Yes you read that right - 274!

I think Winthrop's SOS is pretty dang low too(it was in the 200's IIRC). They were speaking of that on ESPN on Saturday. You gonna tell me they can't play?

You mean our player that was clutch last game going 1 - 18 shooting? Is that who you are speaking of?

He has one bad game. He saved our bacon MANY times during the season...including on nights when he wasn't shooting well. He was absolutely LARGE in the clutch. Not to mention he opens up the floor just for being out there.

Jesus dude, enjoy the f'n win.

Only an idiot who spends all of his time watching NBA ball would think we are hopelessly bad. We have a very talented college basketball team here, and I think you'll start to figure that out very soon. :)

You are right, we are talented - probably the most in the entire league, but JJ is just not that good of a coach. Don't get me wrong, I am excited as all get out that we are in the position we are in, but to murder SouthBendGreen for stating his opinion is a little much. This team has underperfomed all year, beating teams barely that they should have blown out. Our non-conference schedule was weak sause, and our conference might just be worse in bball than they are in football. I hope we get to the tourney, but this team will get killed if we do.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

Yeah, the one who had the flu yesterday. He's also the one who had 24 in the first round. Why are you defending South Bend anyway, what are you, his mother?

Edited by Green Crazy

Yeah, the one who had the flu yesterday. He's also the one who had 24 in the first round. Why are you defending South Bend anyway, what are you, his mother?

Nope, don't even know the guy - however, I do know good basketball when I see it, and have yet to really see it out of any JJ coached team. Kendrick is a good leader for the team and I don't want to discount him and his contribution to the team, but he has had his share of poor performances for this team. 24 points in one game and 1-18 the very next game when your season is on the line, is not very clutch any way you look at it. It's just typical for this team.

Nope, don't even know the guy - however, I do know good basketball when I see it, and have yet to really see it out of any JJ coached team. Kendrick is a good leader for the team and I don't want to discount him and his contribution to the team, but he has had his share of poor performances for this team. 24 points in one game and 1-18 the very next game when your season is on the line, is not very clutch any way you look at it. It's just typical for this team.

I'm just going to play the devil's advocate to that bolded point and say that KD could have very well been very sick yesterday and out-of-sync. For all we know, he could have walked off the court after the victory and gone straight to the nearest toilet.

You are right, we are talented - probably the most in the entire league, but JJ is just not that good of a coach. Don't get me wrong, I am excited as all get out that we are in the position we are in, but to murder SouthBendGreen for stating his opinion is a little much. This team has underperfomed all year, beating teams barely that they should have blown out. Our non-conference schedule was weak sause, and our conference might just be worse in bball than they are in football. I hope we get to the tourney, but this team will get killed if we do.

Take a look at top ten Texas ATM's early schedule. They played ALL kinds of teams that wouldn't have a prayer in the SBC. Some people are just blind to the facts. We aren't the only D1 team that plays a couple of patsies. Everyone does!

No guarantee at all that we will "get killed" WHEN we get into the tourney. The fact is that we only have been "killed" this season in the first 10 minutes of the Nebraska game and also overall by Arky State in the first game. We have shown that we "potentially" have enough talent to play with VERY good basketball teams, and we won't know how good we are until we are actually matched against a 15th/14th seeded team in the BIG tourney. I just hope we get the opportunity.

Take a look at top ten Texas ATM's early schedule. They played ALL kinds of teams that wouldn't have a prayer in the SBC. Some people are just blind to the facts. We aren't the only D1 team that plays a couple of patsies. Everyone does!

Well I tried looking at the facts - our non-conf schedule was ranked 273 in the nation, and our conference strenght of schedule was 284th. So as week sause as we were in non-conf, it was WORSE for conference play.....yet look at how many close games we had this season. Yes, I am exited that they are one win away from the tourney, but no, this is NOT a good team......it appears to be good, because once again, our conference is just that bad.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

No guarantee at all that we will "get killed" WHEN we get into the tourney. The fact is that we only have been "killed" this season in the first 10 minutes of the Nebraska game and also overall by Arky State in the first game. We have shown that we "potentially" have enough talent to play with VERY good basketball teams, and we won't know how good we are until we are actually matched against a 15th/14th seeded team in the BIG tourney. I just hope we get the opportunity.

so you are projecting us as a 2 or a 3? :lol:

A & M played no NAIA or Division II teams. And, when they played them LSU and UCLA were ranked in the top 10 (UCLA was #1 at the time). We've not played anyone in the top 50 this year. At last count, the Aggies have played so far 6 teams ranked in the top 25. Not trying to get into an argument, just pointing out that A & M doesn't play nearly as "patsy" a schedule as we do.

Since we have not played a team this year with an RPI of better than 50, it is a safe assumption.

This team is not very good. I believe Scottie on the Mean and Green board pointed out that UNT's strength of schedule is 274th in the country. Yes you read that right - 274!

Oh, the same Scottie who suggested that instead of going to a NT home game this year, we stay home and watch TAMU-Kansas on TV for some real bball? Okay. Next.

As much as the 5-posts-a-day board is good for laughs, keep that stuff over there. This is the best BBall moment we've had in about 20 years. Period. No debates. Enjoy it. Smile, will ya?

Oh, the same Scottie who suggested that instead of going to a NT home game this year, we stay home and watch TAMU-Kansas on TV for some real bball? Okay. Next.

As much as the 5-posts-a-day board is good for laughs, keep that stuff over there. This is the best BBall moment we've had in about 20 years. Period. No debates. Enjoy it. Smile, will ya?

I think I'm on your team here, CG, but roasting a guy for posting a fact by showing an earlier opinion statement he made may not be the way to go.

Bad analogy, but if Hitler notices a building on fire and yells "fire," his being Hitler doesn't make it any less on fire.

Hitler and Katrina in under 30 minutes....check. I'm the new Family Guy.

Oh, and if we win tomorrow, and then lose a 2-15 game by 30 points, I'll still be happy as a pig in s. We're forty minutes away from the big-freakin-dance.

Do you realize your brackets could actually say "NORTH TEXAS" on them??

Do you realize we had basketball highlights (complete with new logos, i might add) on at LEAST 3 times so far on ESPN?

Do you realize we'll be on a nationally televised championship game on ESPN2 tomorrow night??

Yeah. I'm not too concerned about Jarhaven Christian School for the Blind and Narcoleptic. This is FUN. This is GOOD.

Here's the highly ranked Texas A&M schedule. Seems to me they played a few "Bellhaven's and Jarvis Christian's" themselves before their Big 12 schedule.

Since we have not played a team this year with an RPI of better than 50, it is a safe assumption.

11/1 Midwestern State X W 79-54

11/3 Lithuanian Academy X W 113-74

11/10 Prairie View A&M W 81-49

11/17 Lamar

Shelby Metcalf Classic W 94-60

11/18 Louisiana Tech

Shelby Metcalf Classic W 75-59

11/19 Saint Louis

Shelby Metcalf Classic W 69-33

11/25 Idaho State W 74-44

11/27 Arkansas-Little Rock W 75-35

12/2 Pacific W 74-62

12/5 @ LSU (9) L 52-64

12/9 vs UCLA (1)

John R. Wooden Classic L 62-65

12/12 Fordham W 84-61

12/16 Jacksonville W 97-58

12/22 @ Auburn W 87-58

12/28 Grambling State W 101-27

1/2 Winthrop W 71-51

1/6 Kansas State* W 69-65

1/9 @ Baylor* W 61-51

1/13 @ Colorado* W 87-69

1/20 Oklahoma State (12)* W 67-49

1/24 @ Texas Tech* L 68-70

1/27 Oklahoma* W 70-61

1/31 Iowa State* W 73-49

2/3 @ Kansas (6)* W 69-66

2/5 Texas (25)*

State Farm Lone Star Showdown W 100-82

2/10 @ Nebraska* W 66-55

2/13 Texas Tech* L 75-77

2/17 @ Oklahoma* W 56-49

2/21 @ Oklahoma State* W 66-46

2/24 Baylor* W 97-87

2/28 @ Texas (15)*

State Farm Lone Star Showdown L 96-98

I think I'm on your team here, CG, but roasting a guy for posting a fact by showing an earlier opinion statement he made may not be the way to go.

Bad analogy, but if Hitler notices a building on fire and yells "fire," his being Hitler doesn't make it any less on fire.

Hitler and Katrina in under 30 minutes....check. I'm the new Family Guy.

I think it was the two "well Scottie said!!!" moments within 2 posts that irritated me. You know, in the same way sheep skin can.

What's next, Quoner? AIDS? Columbine? Al Qaeda?

I said I was enjoying it. Keep what over there - solid stats that you don't like because it proves a point? If you want to make an argument for this being a good team - I am all for it - I just don't see it myself. But what do I know, I wanted to get rid of DD in year number 7 seeing that he wasn't the guy to take us to the next level, much like JJ, but hey, I guess I was wrong. Oh wait, no nevermind.