Unt Vs. Louisiana - Monroe

Keith7

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ULM has only one senior on their roster (and he only played three minutes). They are predominately juniors and sophomores.

So, they may be pretty good next year, too.

As for the black jerseys...I hate them. I believe in traditions, and our school colors are green and white. Not black, or purple, or orange, or mauve or turquoise. Frickin' green and white.

See...that's the problem with the new lighter green. It isn't mean, and to make it look intimidating you have to put it on black. PLEASE bring back the forest green.

I like the brighter green. Several schools are now using black road uniforms on occasion, Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma St., etc. The photos on the ULM site look OK; they are not the cheap football uniforms to make-a-statement type. Click "Photo Gallery" next to box score link on this page: http://ulmathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-bask...021007aaa.html#

Edited by NT80

I don't understand why we made things so difficult on ourselves today. Of course, I only heard the game so I probably don't have the complete perspective. Nonetheless, here are some things I just don't understand about today's game: (1) why did we stop going to the post in the second half? (2) Why did Quincy end up with almost no points? (3) Why was Bell jacking up 3's all game, including a miss right at the end that cost us the lead and momentum (and probably the game) (4) Why was Watson sitting out so much when he was hot (5) why was KD in so much when he was ice cold (6) why did we make this game so difficult - this isn't rocket science: pass the ball to Williams and Wooden and let them battle inside, which gets us 2 points or to the free throw line (we went zero times in the first half!), which also opens up the guards to get clean shots - We have a big team - let's play like it. (6) why did we have a ton of time outs going into the final 2 minutes? I'm done ranting now.

I don't understand why we made things so difficult on ourselves today. Of course, I only heard the game so I probably don't have the complete perspective. Nonetheless, here are some things I just don't understand about today's game: (1) why did we stop going to the post in the second half? (2) Why did Quincy end up with almost no points? (3) Why was Bell jacking up 3's all game, including a miss right at the end that cost us the lead and momentum (and probably the game) (4) Why was Watson sitting out so much when he was hot (5) why was KD in so much when he was ice cold (6) why did we make this game so difficult - this isn't rocket science: pass the ball to Williams and Wooden and let them battle inside, which gets us 2 points or to the free throw line (we went zero times in the first half!), which also opens up the guards to get clean shots - We have a big team - let's play like it. (6) why did we have a ton of time outs going into the final 2 minutes? I'm done ranting now.

All of this = coaching decisions <_<

Yawn? Seems like a good point to me. Why is it taking JJ so long when others do it quicker?

What others? Name them. If you are going to do a count, you need to include all the D1 schools that have tried and failed to make their "quick turn around at the D1 level," which is basically every D1 school that had a losing season the year before. We've talked about this so many times in both the b-ball and f-ball forums. You can always find one Cinderella story here and there, but the vast majority of programs that haven't done well for many years (decades in this case) take years to turn a program around. And I really don't mind the "fire JJ" folks at all. I think it is a valid opinion based on an overall mediocre record for the past 6 years. But what I really don't care for is these folks like to visit the forum just to say "fire JJ" or to degrade those with anything positive to say. With a win, they just avoid the forum altogether or say "fire him anyway, that win wasn't good enough." They NEVER evaluate anything we are doing right in combination with criticisms of the coaching staff or players. Frankly, it gets really boring after a while. People don't want to hear the same lop-sided, completely biased view of anything, sports included. I can't recall if you are one of these folks or not that I described above, but your comments were something I've heard again and again, and hence my yawn comment. Relax. Enjoy the season. There will be plenty of time to fire him in the off season if that is what you really want. Meanwhile, enjoy our highly competitive team even in our loses.

Edited by chrisfisher

What others? Name them. If you are going to do a count, you need to include all the D1 schools that have tried and failed to make their "quick turn around at the D1 level," which is basically every D1 school that had a losing season the year before. We've talked about this so many times in both the b-ball and f-ball forums. You can always find one Cinderella story here and there, but the vast majority of programs that haven't done well for many years (decades in this case) take years to turn a program around. And I really don't mind the "fire JJ" folks at all. I think it is a valid opinion based on an overall mediocre record for the past 6 years. But what I really don't care for is these folks like to visit the forum just to say "fire JJ" or to degrade those with anything positive to say. With a win, they just avoid the forum altogether or say "fire him anyway, that win wasn't good enough." They NEVER evaluate anything we are doing right in combination with criticisms of the coaching staff or players. Frankly, it gets really boring after a while. People don't want to hear the same lop-sided, completely biased view of anything, sports included. I can't recall if you are one of these folks or not that I described above, but your comments were something I've heard again and again, and hence my yawn comment. Relax. Enjoy the season. There will be plenty of time to fire him in the off season if that is what you really want. Meanwhile, enjoy our highly competitive team even in our loses.

I couldn't agree with you more. Not that it is pleasant watching a more talented team throughout the roster than most of their competitors continue to lose close games, I just believe JJ is a salvageable commodity. Let's look at the positives. JJ has proven to be more than competent at evaluating and recruiting talented players. They play an entertaining style of basketball (meltdowns notwithstanding) :scared: I just think that with some proper "motivation" from the AD's office :whip::wub: and maybe some changes among the assistants, we could have the foundation for a long term sustained series of teams that can challenge for 'belt titles and other post season glories for years to come.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Bell is getting too many minutes. He plays more minutes that anyone on the team yet has worse overall numbers than any regular on the team. Roughly 40% from the field, 65% from the line, under 30% from three point land, and 3 assists per game just doesn't cut it for a point guard who plays more than 30 minutes per game. His steal to turnover ratio isn't anything to write home about either. I think it's time to give half of those minutes to Sturns or even Mangrum. This team has proven that it can only win by outscoring the opposition, and in my humble opinion Sturns could probably make up the difference in many of these close games if he is given a chance to play a full 30 minutes on a regular basis. I think Sturns' turnover tendencies are overrated, and we're likely going to need the guy to be our number one man next year so it's time for him to get some serious minutes. I doubt it'll happen due to his doghouse status, but I'm gonna vent anyway!

All of this = coaching decisions <_<

ya all those were because of JJ.. he was telling Bell to shoot stupid 3's, why'd he have faith in KD? I mean he has only hit ALL of our big shots! take him out in a close game JJ dang it!! and i'm sure he told williams to go on there and miss all of his shots.. damn JJ when will he learn?? North texas NEVER gets out played, they only lose because of their coaches! :rolleyes:

I think Sturns' turnover tendencies are overrated, and we're likely going to need the guy to be our number one man next year so it's time for him to get some serious minutes. I doubt it'll happen due to his doghouse status, but I'm gonna vent anyway!

ya u throw out all those stats but forget to mention that Sturn's turnovers OFF THE BENCH are almost twice as many as the person in 2nd with turnovers.. I like sturns and I think he will be a huge key to our success next season, but right now he should stay as he is, a spark off the bench..

Anyone who says Sturns' turnover tendencies are overrated doesnt watch many North Texas basketball games....he is doing better but he plays so out of control it isn't even funny

Agreed, this is why I couldn't believe he had the ball at the point with 2 seconds to play against USA (which was a turnover).

What others? Name them.

I could name 50....and you've probably never heard of any of them (even though many of them would be household names to most college basketball fans). After all, you had never even heard of Jimmy Gales.

Arguing basketball with you...makes about as much sense as getting into a political discussion with kids at Chuck E. Cheese.

p.s. If you really want me to name coaches who have turned programs around quickly...I will. Just make sure you're ready to go "Google" their names.

I could name 50....and you've probably never heard of any of them (even though many of them would be household names to most college basketball fans). After all, you had never even heard of Jimmy Gales.

Arguing basketball with you...makes about as much sense as getting into a political discussion with kids at Chuck E. Cheese.

p.s. If you really want me to name coaches who have turned programs around quickly...I will. Just make sure you're ready to go "Google" their names.

You old folks crack me up....funny post.. keep them coming... name them if you wish, but also name all the programs that tried and failed. Without even Googling (hehe), I guarantee the failed column would far exceed the Cinderella stories.