Mean Green Questions And Agendas

FirefightnRick

I got on the board late tonight and didn't get to post a comment about the negative press thread but I had some valid questions needing answered as well but later did a search and answered my questions.

Still, I want to point out to the 99% of those here on GMG.com that understand the enormous positives and new found energy that the hiring of TD has brought this university, that as best as I can guess there are around 5 to 10 individuals among us who absolutely HATE the fireing of The Double D and/or the hiring of Todd Dodge. Several of these individuals are great supportive alumni and fans of the Mean Green and they no doubt have valid concerns. But it simply does not matter what this new staff does, in their eyes it will never be right because we hired a coach who's previous stint was from a high school position and not Nebraska or LSU or tU etc...., and they cannot see past that fact. Possibly once TD and company gets some wins under their belts(but maybe not even then) will this staff be accepted by all.

Keep this in mind.

I want everyone to remember the agendas by the few in the past and how they have been used against this university. Remember that pristene and tranquil lanscape which was critically necessary to the natural habitat to millions of species of innocent animals that the Denia neighborhood association told the Texas TEA board down in Austin concerning it's destruction by the University of North Texas to simply promote such a worthless activity as "Athletics" which no one in Denton cares about? Remember how far Mattress Mac went out of his way to promote to the rest of the state that North Texas had fired the greatest thing since the Sofa Sleeper that this university ever had, in which it cold-heartedly turned it's back on the Double D, kicking him to the curb in his greatest time of need? :rolleyes:

Lastly, keep in mind that this is the internet. Remember the FUBAR over claims of who contacted who first at USM for our coaching vacancy? Know that the main administrator at BobCatFans.com still to this day believes and claims he knows first hand that Don Carthel at West Texas A&M FLAT OUT TURNED NORTH TEXAS DOWN TO BE HEAD COACH even though we have one email response and one phone call response back to two of our board members here from Coach Carthel himself stating that he was very interested in the job as late as middle December? With that said, I will never buy into the idea that TD knowingly turned his back on this kid after being contacted about the situation. Nor will I believe that this incident hurt his future chances to recruit the Abilene area. This idea that TD isn't welcome to that area was one journalists oppinion, not a coach or HS administrator. Considering the time constraints applied as to when TD was hired and started to work on putting his staff and class together, compared to when the dead period began and ended leads me to wonder if this entire thing could easily be due to a miscommunication?

It's All Good, and All Green!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Rick i think you just summed up the feelings of 95% percent of this board.

Thank You

Now i know i will be jumped on because i am agreeing with you here and be acused of being a "GMG crony" but i would just like to say to those people that there is no reason to restate something that was just perfectly stated above.

riiiight... and the same Insall situation, with Todd Graham, Mack Brown, or Darrell Dickey, and we just wouldn't believe that either, right???? We'd feel the same way, huh??

And Drew Pearson is the only REAL #88, right???

And no one is supposed to question the shallow, short-sighted, self-righteous BS, right????

That's what I thought.

riiiight... and the same Insall situation, with Todd Graham, Mack Brown, or Darrell Dickey, and we just wouldn't believe that either, right???? We'd feel the same way, huh??

And no one is supposed to question the shallow, short-sighted, self-righteous BS, right????

That's what I thought.

wtf? :unsure:

I also waited before responding to the initial report. The article presented one side of the story. which Buried in the above post is the info that Insall's father is a writer for that newspaper which should be noted.

I talked with an area newspaper sports writer before signing day asking him if he had heard anything about Insall. He said he had tried and tried to contact the kid and the coach and they never returned his calls.

Also buried in the post is the info that Insall accepted a ship at West Texas A&M...so he did not get left out in the cold. If he really believed he could play at a higher level he could have gone to a JC (Community College) and one year later if he had the grades or two years later have another shot at a higher level school.

I understand the pressure TD has been under since Dec 23rd...hiring a staff, behind in recruiting, the 30,000 something miles they put on in one month and what I believe is a great recruiting signings, especially considering his late start.

It is also a known fact that in coaching changes it works both ways.....many committed players sign with other schools and many ships are dropped by the new coach and school.

I certaintly would hope that one should at least reserve judgement instead of relying on one side of the story.

I think it's important to remember that there are a lot of people who post on this board who have no agenda other than seeing UNT succeed. Those same people might have a differing opinion about a particular situation than the guy next to them.

I think it's possible to be excited about the change in the coaching staff, the job RV is doing, and the positive things that TD has brought to the table, and still bitch around the water cooler about an article written in an Abilene paper that may be full of half-truths--and qualifying their posts with the understanding of same--without being labeled a heretic, shouted down, or called a bootlicker. That may remain to be seen, but that's what these boards are for. :lol:

I think that there's nothing really wrong with that, inasmuch as this is an internet message board, and not the Temple Mount.

I think that Todd Dodge is a big boy and doesn't need anyone to fight his battles for him--particularly battles waged on an internet message board populated by know-nothings. :lol:

I think that in the grand scheme of things, the article discussed yesterday will work itself out, and doesn't amount to a hill of beans, other than to sometimes put a stick in some asses, but then you've got you some pretty good free entertainment there! And again, that's what this board is for.

I think it's great that there has been this 'issue' to discuss regarding UNT football. It means the program is moving onward and upward, and the people in place are doing a great job. It also means the same for this board, because it means people are starting to care. That's nothing but a good thing.

I think it's time for another cup of coffee. :P

That's what I thought.

Que?

Rick i think you just summed up the feelings of 95% percent of this board.

Thank You

Now i know i will be jumped on because i am agreeing with you here and be acused of being a "GMG crony" but i would just like to say to those people that there is no reason to restate something that was just perfectly stated above.

Make that 96%, GreenN'walinsVet...BTW, congrats to your fellow Krum-ite and her American Idol success the other night.

Also...............great thread subject, FFR...

NOW CHASING THAT GREEN-TINTED RABBIT... :rolleyes:

Negative begats negative and I wholeheartedly fess' up to getting very negative the past 2 years; especially when I saw and heard very negative things being said by a handful of some pretty damn well paid UNT employees. I think we all want our alma mater's employees to say some very nice things about UNT (whether they mean it or not). BUT.........get negative about UNT with this NT(SU) grad and you've got a "Denton, we've got a problem!"situation on your hands. Most of us on this forum are not too shy to express how we feel and I feel sorry for those who never do (when I know they feel like many of us).

I've been in sales most my adult life (haven't we all to some extent?) and I can spot out a bullshitter pretty quick. I (like many of you) also know those 2-faced types at UNT who are nice to one group (for self gain and future promotion opportunities) yet are pretty damn un-nice to others (who did not one thing to merit it).

I think we would all hope that these kind of UNT employees become history sooner than later at our alma mater. With 15K per home game averages the last decade or so, I think we'd all agree "customer service" with some nice-a-ties thrown in should be at the top of the list of any UNT employee (expecially those on staff in the athletic dept who deal with more NT Exes on a regular basis than probably most any department on campus).

This green-tinted rabbit chase is now officially over... :rolleyes::clapping:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Coach Todd Dodge told the audience on that radio show in Beaumont that he was only going to sign one QB.

I'm not sure if Giovanni had committed to us by then or not.

But, once GV committed....Todd stayed committed to him. He didn't, as some desired, go after the Austin Westlake quarterback, because that would have been going back on his word to GV.

That to me, tells me all I need to know about Todd.

And personally, I don't give a rat's patoot, about how the Insall situation was handled. That kid, his dad and the high school coach blew this thing way out of proportion. I blame the h.s. coach for a lot of it. (Because he seemed to think that just because Art Briles held two schollies for two players at Houston, that that is the way it's done everywhere. It isn't).

Finally, I've very thankful that we have Coach Dodge...I think he's going to be a great coach for us.

GMG!

Edited by SUMG

I watched as many recruiting sites as I could. I never saw anything about this kid anywhere but here. It make sense to me that if this kid was really good TD would have known about him. Was the information passed on from the past administration or did they take all of the Ws off the computer keyboards? I can't believe that every other D1 coach that may have wanted him would back off because of some questionable comitment from UNT. Nothing is solid until signing day. If my son had some deal with a coach and I did not get a note, call, smoke signals or something I would be selling my goods to someone else. It's a dog eat dog or lion eat bear world out there, sit back and whine and you are going to get left behind. Sounds like sour grapes to me. If this kid ended up at WTAM, likely a ship could have been better used.

I watched as many recruiting sites as I could. I never saw anything about this kid anywhere but here. It make sense to me that if this kid was really good TD would have known about him. Was the information passed on from the past administration or did they take all of the Ws off the computer keyboards? I can't believe that every other D1 coach that may have wanted him would back off because of some questionable comitment from UNT. Nothing is solid until signing day. If my son had some deal with a coach and I did not get a note, call, smoke signals or something I would be selling my goods to someone else. It's a dog eat dog or lion eat bear world out there, sit back and whine and you are going to get left behind. Sounds like sour grapes to me. If this kid ended up at WTAM, likely a ship could have been better used.

This was going to be part of my question earlier in the original thread as I had forgotten about him telling the Abilene paper back in October that he had committed to NT, and that he claimed The Double D had offered him. Insal said he committed back in the summer while attending a camp here. It doesn't mean DD never did, but I don't recall NT ever offereing a ship that early to a recruit. Maybe someone here remembers and can answer that?

LONG JIM

I think it's important to remember that there are a lot of people who post on this board who have no agenda other than seeing UNT succeed. Those same people might have a differing opinion about a particular situation than the guy next to them.

I think it's possible to be excited about the change in the coaching staff, the job RV is doing, and the positive things that TD has brought to the table, and still bitch around the water cooler about an article written in an Abilene paper that may be full of half-truths--and qualifying their posts with the understanding of same--without being labeled a heretic, shouted down, or called a bootlicker. That may remain to be seen, but that's what these boards are for.

My notion concerning agenda's had more to do with those on the outside trying to hurt North Texas by taking their agenda's to the papers much like the Denia folks and Mattress Mac. I apologize if I didn't make that clear. And as to the labeling of others, I did state that those Mean Green supporters who dislike this hire have valid concerns and that they are some of our best supporters. I can't help it if someone feels like the keyboard is pointing right at them at times when it may not be.

My God Jim, I'm a FIREFIGHTER, not a THERAPIST!

Always wanted to type that.

Rick

I think it's possible to be excited about the change in the coaching staff, the job RV is doing, and the positive things that TD has brought to the table, and still bitch around the water cooler about an article written in an Abilene paper that may be full of half-truths--and qualifying their posts with the understanding of same--without being labeled a heretic, shouted down, or called a bootlicker. That may remain to be seen, but that's what these boards are for. :lol:

well said, thank you.

I also waited before responding to the initial report. The article presented one side of the story. which Buried in the above post is the info that Insall's father is a writer for that newspaper which should be noted.

Guys,

Why do you keep repeating this? Taylor Insall's dad does not work for the Abilene Reporter News. In fact, he doesn't live with his dad at all. His lives with his mother and step-dad, neither of whom work for the ARN. I know this because, instead of flying off the handle when the story broke, I e-mailed the reporter to get the facts straight - something easily done, but not a favorite thing to do of those of you who think they already know the story.

Anyway, continue to make up stuff in your head about the article, but quit posting things that are untrue about Taylor Insall's family. Pathetic.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

LONG JIM

My notion concerning agenda's had more to do with those on the outside trying to hurt North Texas by taking their agenda's to the papers much like the Denia folks and Mattress Mac. I apologize if I didn't make that clear. And as to the labeling of others, I did state that those Mean Green supporters who dislike this hire have valid concerns and that they are some of our best supporters.

Nah, I know where you were going with that. But I will say this about people that go to the media simply to do harm to the school and program: Piss on 'em. Build this program big enough and successful enough that they are nothing but a fly on a horse's ass. ;)

The alums/donors of UNT have that power, and need to take it. How long is it going to take until they do? I don't know.

I also agree that people (rightly so, I believe) should have concerns about the direction of the program--by that I mean that they should have a healthy concern, not necessarily a cynical one--because if people don't have it, complacency sets in--again. It's a sign of a program that's going places, and won't tolerate/allow losing to happen for long. I think PMG has been preaching "accountability up in Denton" forever. ;) No more back-slapping, right?

I also think that as RV and TD keep building this program, those people will get on board a little more, because they can actually SEE tangible stuff happening. Stagnation lifting. Seas parting, and all that. That's been a long time coming for UNT for a lot of folks.

I wanted to make the point though, that sometimes the current 'regime' is going to do things, misstep, or otherwise stub their toe. Hey, that's gonna happen. But making a comment or opinion about it is ok. Sure makes this board more interesting! B) It goes on at other message boards all the time, and frankly, it's a good sign to have some arguing, because it's a sign that people care about what's going on. Doesn't mean I agree with them every time.

I guess what I'm saying is, keep the expectations on TD/RV and the program HIGH. MASH THE GAS PEDAL TO THE FREAKING FLOOR!

The other thing is,

My God Jim, I'm a FIREFIGHTER, not a THERAPIST!

Exactly! Whose sig line is it? "Opinions...everybody DO have one!"

Guys,

Why do you keep repeating this? Taylor Insall's dad does not work for the Abilene Reporter News. In fact, he doesn't live with his dad at all. His lives with his mother and step-dad, neither of whom work for the ARN. I know this because, instead of flying off the handle when the story broke, I e-mailed the reporter to get the facts straight - something easily done, but not a favorite thing to do of those of you who think they already know the story.

Anyway, continue to make up stuff in your head about the article, but quit posting things that are untrue about Taylor Insall's family. Pathetic.

I changed this line here. I just can't find the "Sarcasm Alert" icon.

Not only does his dad work for them, his mom is the current spell checker/proof reader for final editing and grandma hitches the horses out back for the delivery route to get out on time each morning :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

That boolicker part just doesn't sit well with you at all, does it 55?

I almost regret calling you that last year... :D Just kidding! I do regret it. I regret it very much.

Rick

No worries, the boot licker part annoyed me, but I never really felt I had to validate my enthusiasm for my alma mater on an (somewhat) anonymous message board :D . those that know me will tell you I am as much a die hard a fan NT as anyone (and if they don't, my girlfriend who thinks I am a total dork/insane certainly will :P ). They also know that I make no apologies for having the "other" team I favor be UT. For me, it has absolutely nothing to do with their recent success. I had several family members who graduated from Texas, played basketball and baseball there, so it would follow that I grow up rooting for that particular team. Had that team been Northwestern Idaho State U A&T at Kellogg, my conviction would have been the same. However, I chose to go to NT- not UT (or NWISUATK). My time, my money, and my dedication are all colored Green (well I guess my money is now Kelly green... but you get the point).

I don't understand why people get called apologists or DD-lovers because they make one point that is contrary to the "board-think". This is a medium for the exchange of information and ideas. And I love argue a good debate or argument (another quality/defect my lady will confirm). I was a somewhat vocal skeptic of TD when the name was being thrown around, mostly because there were so many other good candidates being discussed (notably Fisher and Harbaugh). I was fully aware of what he did in the HS ranks and aware of the name he carried, i just had my own reservations. It's an unorthodox move, pulling in a HS coach, but I am now on board 100%.

I think the Insall deal could have been handled better IF everything is as it was printed in that article. I think that is the sentiment of many on this board. We were given a list of "facts" and we were going off that. I have no idea why it spiraled into people ganging up on others saying people are against Todd Dodge and DD-lovers. That's an illogical deduction(digression?), in my opinion. You can't very well crucify the poster of that article for sharing the info because you didn't like the info (and I mean 'you' in that non-specific general sense). I think its good to hear all sides of the story. Personally, I don't think the guy had what it takes to play D1 ball and certainly not the kind we aspire to play. But in any event, a phone call would have been nice.

Regarding his deity status, I don't know if Todd Dodge can walk on water... we'll have to wait til we get to Norman for that.

B)

I changed this line here. I just can't find the "Sarcasm Alert" icon.

Not only does his dad work for them, his mom is the current spell checker/proof reader for final editing and grandma hitches the horses out back for the delivery route to get out on time each morning :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rick

Next time just have me post it...

OK....first let me say that I am absolutely delighted that we have pulled the coups we have in hiring Todd Dodge. I think he is the absolute best thing that could happen to UNT football. To suggest that I am unhappy about anything is poppycock...I am as happy as a clam. That said, the fact remains that the university (and, yes...that is the university not DD) made a commitment to Taylor Insall and we should have kept that commitment. It is unfortunate that Taylor was caught in a coaching change. It is unfortunate that honoring that commitment could possibly have left us with one less scholarship to offer to another player we wanted/needed. The fact is that this is a coach who is committed to instilling character in his players, and those who have true character honor prior commitments...regardless of short term inconvenience. In the long run, doing the right thing is always best.