Look To Next Year

El Paso Eagle

So he's visiting Texas and OU. I wonder if Leach's system has any appeal.

A lot of Riley's stock rests in adapting to a new system. If his senior season at SLC is as succesful as his junior, plus he graduates early, he might be the biggest blue chip in the country. That will make it tough for anyone to convince him to come to NT, even his dad.

Based on their past history if Riley comes to NT then TD will stay until at least 2010 (assuming like everyone else that he is succesful). That is enough time to really get a program moving. If Riley doesn't come to NT and TD is succesful I question how long he'll stay.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Riley: I've heard its a real possibility, and that he is strongly considering it

Tre: It's up in the air. However, I was told Notre Dame is already recruiting him pretty hard and as we all know (according to his dad) UNT does not pay enough

source: I work with a Football player from SLC (he's a junior and knows them both pretty well) he told me this like a week or so ago.

Question: Do we really want Riley now that we have Vizza? Sorry I don't know much about Riley's playing abilities. If we do, is he alot better?

So he's visiting Texas and OU. I wonder if Leach's system has any appeal.

A lot of Riley's stock rests in adapting to a new system. If his senior season at SLC is as succesful as his junior, plus he graduates early, he might be the biggest blue chip in the country. That will make it tough for anyone to convince him to come to NT, even his dad.

Based on their past history if Riley comes to NT then TD will stay until at least 2010 (assuming like everyone else that he is succesful). That is enough time to really get a program moving. If Riley doesn't come to NT and TD is succesful I question how long he'll stay.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think TD will stay for a shorter amount of time just because Riley decides to go to school elsewhere. However, I think If Riley does decide to go to UNT and during his time hear the Football team does well TD will stay much longer

Question: Do we really want Riley now that we have Vizza?

Absolutely. I don't see Vizza taking a redshirt; and if Riley were to redshirt, it would give him 2 years of eligibility after Vizza's departure. Regardless, I don't think you can ever be "too solid" at the QB (or any, for that matter) position.

Absolutely. I don't see Vizza taking a redshirt; and if Riley were to redshirt, it would give him 2 years of eligibility after Vizza's departure. Regardless, I don't think you can ever be "too solid" at the QB (or any, for that matter) position.

How do you think Riley compares to Vizza

Several schools of thought on this. Everyone knows how talented Riley is, so granted, numourous schools will recruit him. People shouldnt rule out that a big part of his success was because of his coaching from his father. You never know, he may find alot of comfort on the field because of that very relationship. If Riley chooses UNT just because of his father, there is NO shame in that. Knowing high regard all of us hold TD in because of his success, try and imagine Riley watching this as his son... To see your father rise the way TD has in the past 10 years, the notoriety, etc. His dad has got to be practically his hero. He's got to see his dad's vision of turning around UNT's program, and could possibly be thinking, "you helped me lead a team to a state championship, now it could be my time to help you...

Was he 2 time state player of the year, of just last year? .

And since he plans on entering school early, if he does chose NT, could you imagine how much that in itself would help out NT recruiting next year.

I would love to have him in Denton, I would love to have Tre here as well, but that seems a lot less likely.

Was he 2 time state player of the year, of just last year? .

And since he plans on entering school early, if he does chose NT, could you imagine how much that in itself would help out NT recruiting next year.

I would love to have him in Denton, I would love to have Tre here as well, but that seems a lot less likely.

Just last year.

I wish Riley the best and will be happy if he comes here, but if I had to choose between the two I'd pick Tre in a heartbeat for his abilities.

Having said that, the next year is going to be quite interesting following his recruiting trail and the remarks his dad made during the title game.

Just last year.

I wish Riley the best and will be happy if he comes here, but if I had to choose between the two I'd pick Tre in a heartbeat for his abilities.

Having said that, the next year is going to be quite interesting following his recruiting trail and the remarks his dad made during the title game.

I'd take the HEART of Riley Dodge over the talent of Tre.

speaking of next year. one of my favorite parts of the webcast was when dodge said they had this years recruits sewn up so quickly that it gave them time to start working on the 08 class.

WHAT!?! Are you kidding me. He is starting on 08 already. DD didn't start recruiting till December. In all seriousness that is great news. I can't wait to see what he does with a full years work. I'm already begining to wonder who he will bring in next year. You think he's had a few words with Riley. And how can he go about recruiting his own son. With all the non-contact periods and such. Be intresting to know how the NCAA deals with situations like this.

With the current logjam at QB, Vizza will most likely Redshirt. This has to be a huge factor in Riley's decision to join his dad at NT.

From what I got out of Coach Dodge's press conference, there is no way that Vizza will redshirt. Obviously he was sold on UNT in part because he will have the opportunity to compete for a starting job right off the bat.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

WHAT!?! Are you kidding me. He is starting on 08 already. DD didn't start recruiting till December. In all seriousness that is great news. I can't wait to see what he does with a full years work. I'm already begining to wonder who he will bring in next year. You think he's had a few words with Riley. And how can he go about recruiting his own son. With all the non-contact periods and such. Be intresting to know how the NCAA deals with situations like this.

Word off and on the street is both father and son are very close....well, the father works as HFC at the University of North Texas and son wants to be close to his father so therefore.....................just add 2 and 2 when it comes to the question of if Riley Dodge coming to Mean Green Country or not. Bet he not only comes to UNT, but he also influences more than a hardy handful of good D1-A college talent to come along with him and few of that group not necessarily being from SLC, either.

Also wonder when Todd Dodge will have his annual most successful and well attended summer football camp and coaches clinic?

What a helluva' hire this has worked out to be. Folks, nothing new here, but we sure do need to build all this present group a very nice new football stadium over at the Mean Green Village ASAP. From all appearances, that seems to be the plans with those plans even starting at the very top, ie, new UNT President/Dr. "B's" office.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

From what I got out of Coach Dodge's press conference, there is no way that Vizza will redshirt. Obviously he was sold on UNT in part because he will have the opportunity to compete for a starting job right off the bat.

That may be true, but I think the switch to the spread was more of a factor.

What type of reaction did you expect from Dodge on his 1st recruited QB to Denton? :huh:

It still doesn't mean he won't redshirt . He'll get a chance to compete in Spring much like the FOUR other QB's, 3 with gametime experience, on the roster. It's very rare to see true freshman start in college at any position, much less QB. You can't ignore the players currently on the roster for the sake of them being DD recruits. I think Vizza was a helluva pickup, but just because he was recruited by Todd Dodge doesn't make him Vince Young.

Edited by Got5onIt

I'm still anxious to see how Woody performs in this new system. I think w/ some better blocking...more room to run..and a year of D-1 football under his belt...I think he might be a nice surprise for us. I'd rather throw him into the game against OU than a freshman. Keep in mind, Woody looked pretty darn good at times and he had a crap coach and split all the practice reps w/ the other guys.