The Mid-major Revolution Is Coming!

Mean Green 93-98

Looks like the "experts" are just figuring something out!

Boise State leads mid-major revolution in bowls

Dennis Dodd Jan. 11, 2007

By Dennis Dodd

CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

The biggest news to come out of the bowl season? The mid-majors can play.

The Little Guys finished 3-5 against BCS conference schools in bowl games. But four of the losses were by eight points or less; two by a point. BYU (11-2) became BYU again, but who would have forecast the Cougars beating Oregon by 30? Hawaii (11-3) tied the school record for victories and has a Heisman favorite if Colt Brennan sticks around.

Twenty-five teams nationally finished with at least 10 wins. Six of them were from the MAC, Conference USA, Mountain West and WAC.

Let's face it, though, I wouldn't be writing this unless a certain Idaho school hadn't shocked the nation on Jan. 1.

So let's settle this Boise State argument now.

The question is not whether the Broncos can play. What more do you have to see? Boise State beat two ranked teams, one of them in the top 10. That's one more top 10 victory than Notre Dame scored.

Don't blame Boise for its WAC schedule. Chris Petersen and the Broncos rose above their conference brothers to get enough talent to beat BCS conference schools.

The question is whether a team like Boise deserves a shot at a playoff. That has already been answered. It would have to be included, given the new access points (automatic qualification with a top 12 finish; top 16 if it finishes higher than a power conference champion).

And if they're in, they've got a chance.

Twenty-two years ago, BYU beat a 6-5 Michigan team to clinch the national championship. Boise beat Big 12 champion Oklahoma, ranked No. 7 at the time. Are you telling me they couldn't do that again a week later against an LSU or Southern California?

I asked Ohio State's Kirk Barton while in Arizona if Boise could "play."

"They can," he said. "They beat Oklahoma. Oklahoma is Oklahoma. ... It's part of the 85 scholarship thing. You can't hoard all the guys. You've got to let some of them go. Some of them turn out to be better than the ones you take."

If we have to, we'll play the progression card: Boise beat Oregon State which beat USC which beat Arkansas which beat Auburn which handed Florida its only loss.

A national championship is coming for The Great Unwashed, those non-BCS leagues, and it's coming soon. It's just a question of whether the college football establishment can handle it.

The 2004 Boise team that went undefeated featured no NFL draftees. Former coach Dan Hawkins told me last week he believes nine or 10 Broncos will land on NFL rosters from this 2006 team.

Boise led Oklahoma by 18 on a neutral field. It won despite being outweighed on the defensive line by 30 pounds. That's coaching and guts.

BYU in 1984 was an anomaly. Boise State in 2006 is leading a revolution.

Best bowl moment

Or why the only reality TV is live televised sports ... this one has to go to Ian Johnson's proposal to his cheerleader girlfriend moments after Boise State's Fiesta Bowl win.

"The thing that made us feel good about it is we were on the platform at the trophy presentation and I see Ian on the JumboTron on one knee," Chris Petersen told the Los Angeles Times. "I'm just hoping it is his girlfriend and not some cute cheerleader that he got caught up in the moment with."

Best place to be

The greater Phoenix area. Three games. Ten days. Three great stories. One coach out of work.

From Dec. 30-Jan. 8, the Fiesta Bowl folks hosted the Insight, Fiesta and BCS title game.

If you'll recall, Minnesota blew a 31-point lead to Texas Tech in the Insight. Two days later Gophers coach Glen Mason was fired.

Two days later, Boise used three trick plays to upset Oklahoma.

That was just the beginning after Ohio State's Ted Ginn Jr. returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown in the BCS title game. Taking that and the end of the Fiesta into account, in a span of 17 plays lasting 1 minute, 26 seconds fans saw six touchdowns and two two-point conversions.

Yes, it was fun to be in the Valley of the Sun. The area saw the nation's only undefeated team, the national champion and Mike Leach crying in his postgame interview.

Winners

JaMarcus Russell: Halfway through the season, the LSU quarterback was an enigma. After a spectacular Sugar Bowl performance, J.R. might be the No. 1 pick in the draft.

Florida: Miami and Florida State should be afraid, very afraid. Urban Meyer is young, energetic and ready to dominate the state for years to come.

The Big East: 5-0 in bowls, three in the top 10 at one point, a BCS bowl win. A big-time BCS conference again thanks to Rutgers, West Virginia and Louisville.

USC: Lose to two unranked teams, lose Dwayne Jarrett to the draft, lose Pete Carroll's full attention (to Wayne Huizenga), beat Michigan. Become preseason favorite in '07. Not a bad rebuilding year.

Alabama: Lose Rich Rodriguez. Lose the Independence Bowl. Finish below .500. Lose the fan's faith. Get Nick Saban. Sometimes you just live right, especially if you pay $4 million per year.

The new coordinators, by the way, will be making $500,000 each.

Pac-10: Made a case for being the second-best league in the nation. The new nine-game conference schedule makes it one less patsy for each team to play.

USC and Cal were top 10 quality. Three teams won 10. Nine of 10 teams won at least five games.

Sun Belt: Three teams finished at least .500 (that's a huge accomplishment for this league). Troy won eight games. Rick Stockstill is a rising star at Middle Tennessee State.

WAC: Boise was the nation's only undefeated team. Hawaii won 11 and had the best quarterback (statistically) in the country. San Jose State won nine three years after almost giving up the sport. The WAC was 3-1 in bowls. The only loss was Nevada by one point to Miami.

Rice: First bowl since 1961.

Rutgers: First bowl win in 137 years of football.

Losers

Big 12: 0-14 in non-conference games against ranked teams, 3-5 in bowls. Every team lost at least three games.

ACC: Miami and Florida State are stuck in neutral. There was that ugly brawl but, oh, remember Florida International started it.

Wake Forest was a great story but when Wake wins the ACC, the ACC is down.

Georgia Tech quarterback Reggie Ball: Bad quarterback, bad student (flunked out in December), bad character. When sophomore Taylor Bennett threw for 326 yards and three touchdowns against West Virginia in the Gator Bowl, Jackets fans were asking, "Where has this guy been?"

The Notre Dame myth: Two years and Charlie Weis' best "win" is a loss to USC.

Ohio State's offensive line: The common cold should be renamed "Boone," in reference to the draft created by Florida defenders as they breezed past Buckeyes left tackle Alex Boone.

Michigan: Authorities are still trying to determine if Michigan actually arrived in Pasadena. DNA samples are being examined.

Polls: The AP gets a pass because media are paid to evaluate and interpret. But what are the coaches doing ranking undefeated Boise sixth? Don't ever tell us again it's all about winning. No, fellas, it's all about taking care of your friends.

Five predictions for '07

• Charlie Weis will take a serious look at the NFL. The question is whether we (the media) will find out.

• Darren McFadden will win the Heisman -- and maybe the Davey O'Brien, too.

• There will be a bit of interest in the LSU-Alabama game.

• QB Mark Sanchez will make a serious run at the starting job at USC.

• We're still not done with 2006 coaching changes. There's still a scandal out there somewhere that will get someone fired in '07.

Breakthrough teams in '07

Hawaii: Should have beaten Alabama. Almost beat Boise. Did beat Arizona State and Purdue.

TCU: You hear it every year, but we really mean it this time.

Indiana: Two words: Kellen Lewis and Terry Hoeppner.

The Carolinas: North Carolina and N.C. State each have new coaches. East Carolina is coming off its first bowl in five years. Clemson has the talent to win its division. South Carolina, too.

Kentucky: Rich Brooks is Lazarus. Led Cats to first bowl win in 22 years.

UCLA: Beating USC is a positive.

Rice: Wise to extend Todd Graham through 2012 after the Owls' first bowl game in 45 years.

© MMVII, CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved. SportsLine is a registered service mark of SportsLine.com, Inc.

CBS "eye device" is a registered trademark of CBS Broadcasting, Inc.

I'm starting to hate that term "mid-major". They now have mid-major rankings and mid-major upsets Big school U headlines. It's actually a put-down, like not 1-A enough to be talked about in the same sentence as BcS schools. Just watch, soon there will be 1-A, mid-major, and 1-AA. It's coming.

I'm starting to hate that term "mid-major". They now have mid-major rankings and mid-major upsets Big school U headlines. It's actually a put-down, like not 1-A enough to be talked about in the same sentence as BcS schools. Just watch, soon there will be 1-A, mid-major, and 1-AA. It's coming.

If anything, I see it moving the other way. Schools that never could have competed with the big boys are now holding their own, and even winning sometimes. Yes, "mid-major" is saying that a school is not BCS caliber; but the "mid-major" schools that keep winning won't be called mid-major for long.

Just to play devil's advocate in all this....

OU was not a top 10 team - they were a product of what turned out to be arguably the worst Big 12 since the conference formed. The league went 0-27 or 0-28 against ranked schools outside of conference and had a 3-5 bowl record, with the wins coming against 3 6-6 teams (Iowa, Minnesota, Bama.) OU had a good season and is probably a top 15 team, but people act like Boise beat a #1. OU was the least imposing BCS team (forgot about Wake, second least imposing.)

OU lost to an Oregon team that got stomped by BYU - yes it was a bad call, but it was still close enough to come down to a call.

I'm happy BSU won and it was a great game, but they also got the perfect shot for them too. I want a playoff and I think Boise would be fun to follow, but would ultimately fall badly to LSU, Florida, or USC. I have them at 4, and I would love to know if I am right about that, but the system sucks.

Just to play devil's advocate in all this....

OU was not a top 10 team - they were a product of what turned out to be arguably the worst Big 12 since the conference formed. The league went 0-27 or 0-28 against ranked schools outside of conference and had a 3-5 bowl record, with the wins coming against 3 6-6 teams (Iowa, Minnesota, Bama.) OU had a good season and is probably a top 15 team, but people act like Boise beat a #1. OU was the least imposing BCS team (forgot about Wake, second least imposing.)

OU lost to an Oregon team that got stomped by BYU - yes it was a bad call, but it was still close enough to come down to a call.

I'm happy BSU won and it was a great game, but they also got the perfect shot for them too. I want a playoff and I think Boise would be fun to follow, but would ultimately fall badly to LSU, Florida, or USC. I have them at 4, and I would love to know if I am right about that, but the system sucks.

I'll play Devil's advocate as well.

the reason it was a big deal, is the fact that had the Oregon game been called correctly, OU would have been a one-loss team and would have been in the hunt for the national title as well. Whether they would have stayed ahead of a 1 loss Florida team or not, we'll never know. All we know is, it's happened before. THAT's why people say the system is flawed and why the BSU win was significant.

I'll play Devil's advocate as well.

the reason it was a big deal, is the fact that had the Oregon game been called correctly, OU would have been a one-loss team and would have been in the hunt for the national title as well. Whether they would have stayed ahead of a 1 loss Florida team or not, we'll never know. All we know is, it's happened before. THAT's why people say the system is flawed and why the BSU win was significant.

I know it was significant and hopefully leads to more shots for everyone, I just think it was the perfect storm and Boise is still #4. I'd love to be proven wrong. You didn't really play devil's advocate, you just disagreed.

Besides, OSU wants a playoff too....

http://sportspickle.com/features/volume6/2...-ohiostate.html

Just days after deflecting any notion that undefeated Boise State deserved a shot to play then-undefeated Ohio State for the national title, Ohio State players and coaches say they are more than happy now to play the Broncos for the championship straight-up, no questions asked.

“Hey, if the offer is still on the table – Ohio State vs. Boise State for the national championship – we’ll take hit,” said Ohio State head coach Jim Tressel. “Boise State deserves their shot and you know, uh, we wouldn’t mind playing the title game over again.”

The heavily-favored Buckeyes were blown out by Florida on Monday night in the BCS Championship Game, 41-14, but Ohio State says that game was not the true national championship.

“Florida shouldn’t have been there with their one loss. Boise State is undefeated and they should have been playing us,” said Ohio State quarterback Troy Smith. “I think that’s why we didn’t play well on Monday night – we knew the game was a sham.”

Boise State head coach Chris Petersen says he welcomes Ohio State’s offer, but doubts his team will accept.

“Look, I understand where Ohio State is coming from. I do. If we had been embarrassed and humiliated in every possible way on national television in the championship game, we’d want a chance to redeem ourselves, too,” said Petersen. “But we’ve already beaten the champion from a supposed power conference in Oklahoma. We want Florida now.”

NCAA president Myles Brand says he likes certain aspects of Ohio State’s proposal, but doubts he would ever approve of the game under its current format.

“I would love to have Boise State play for the national championship,” said Brand. “And if we can get a plus-one game set up that gives them that chance, I won’t stand in the way. But the part of the proposal I hate is Ohio State being in the game. No one wants to watch them get killed again, least of all Ohio State’s fans, I would think. So I’ll okay Boise State playing for the title, but only against Florida.”

But while Florida has so far showed no interest in playing the Broncos, the Buckeyes say the only game they want is Ohio State-Boise State.

“Just three days ago there was near universal agreement that Boise State deserved a shot at the national title, while there was a lot of disagreement over whether Florida deserved to play us for the national championship,” said Tressel. “Why can’t we go back to then? Huh? Please, let’s just go back to three days ago and pretend the BCS Championship Game never happened. Please, God. Please.”

I'd love to be proven wrong. You didn't really play devil's advocate, you just disagreed.

you're right. I bow down to your superior grasp on the English language and college football acumen.

Regardless of your Devil's advocate stance, the facts I laid out ARE in fact the biggest reason why it's a big deal. Whether OU was "actually" a top ten team or not is irrelevant. At the time they played BSU, they were.

Just days after deflecting any notion that undefeated Boise State deserved a shot to play then-undefeated Ohio State for the national title, Ohio State players and coaches say they are more than happy now to play the Broncos for the championship straight-up, no questions asked.

That's because Ohio State was utterly wrecked by Florida. I know why they want to play Boise: Because they think they'll win. It has nothing to do with Florida being in a sham BCS championship game, it has to do with the fact Ohio State not only lost, but was continuously dominated throughout the 4 quarters of play. They lost to Florida as if it was Florida playing FIU, not Ohio State. Did Florida deserve to play in the championship game? No, it didn't look like it before the game, when all of the media-hype was focused on their one loss. But that changed fast once they started to break a good lead on Ohio State.

41-14? Plain and simple, Florida belonged in the game to at least prove that they were better than Ohio State. If anything, Florida and Boise should play. Florida's one loss doesn't count because they flat-out were better than Ohio State. This isn't when Oklahoma U played LSU after losing the BigXII championship game and lost- Oklahoma had no business being in that game and it showed. Florida may not have deserved to play for the national title, but they earned it as they played the game.

you're right. I bow down to your superior grasp on the English language and college football acumen.

Regardless of your Devil's advocate stance, the facts I laid out ARE in fact the biggest reason why it's a big deal. Whether OU was "actually" a top ten team or not is irrelevant. At the time they played BSU, they were.

Sorry that you have lovely Houston smog in your panties today.... (kidding, I like to poke at your wounds)

The I'd love to be proven wrong is in regards to a playoff where BSU could play the three teams I think are better than them. i know the win is a big deal, I was just mentioning that BSU had a perfect storm. I think we need many more of these before the system is torn apart - let's see what this win brings about and who builds on it next year. The last time the BCS had teams knocking at its door like this (Utah and TCU) they waited it out and nothing changed. When it looked like Louisville could be a threat, they absorbed them.

Can't we all sit back and agree that Meangreendork responding to a satire site seriously and angrily is more entertaining anyway?

Sorry that you have lovely Houston smog in your panties today.... (kidding, I like to poke at your wounds)

The I'd love to be proven wrong is in regards to a playoff where BSU could play the three teams I think are better than them. i know the win is a big deal, I was just mentioning that BSU had a perfect storm. I think we need many more of these before the system is torn apart - let's see what this win brings about and who builds on it next year. The last time the BCS had teams knocking at its door like this (Utah and TCU) they waited it out and nothing changed. When it looked like Louisville could be a threat, they absorbed them.

:D Im on a tear today...

I agree with you, it was a perfect storm. It needed to happen and it did. I think that OSU getting whipped like that helped the non-BCS cause even more. BSU's win has opened the door for the non-BCS schools a little more for no other reason than it has convinced the MEDIA that it is possible. Many non-BCS programs in the nation can now say "why not us?".

Anyone care to take a stab at the over/under on weeks before we start seeing "who will be the Boise State of 2007?" articles?

The heavily-favored Buckeyes were blown out by Florida on Monday night in the BCS Championship Game, 41-14, but Ohio State says that game was not the true national championship.

“Florida shouldn’t have been there with their one loss. Boise State is undefeated and they should have been playing us,” said Ohio State quarterback Troy Smith. “I think that’s why we didn’t play well on Monday night – we knew the game was a sham.”

“Look, I understand where Ohio State is coming from. I do. If we had been embarrassed and humiliated in every possible way on national television in the championship game, we’d want a chance to redeem ourselves, too,” said Petersen. “But we’ve already beaten the champion from a supposed power conference in Oklahoma. We want Florida now.”

“I would love to have Boise State play for the national championship,” said Brand. “And if we can get a plus-one game set up that gives them that chance, I won’t stand in the way. But the part of the proposal I hate is Ohio State being in the game. No one wants to watch them get killed again, least of all Ohio State’s fans, I would think. So I’ll okay Boise State playing for the title, but only against Florida.”

But while Florida has so far showed no interest in playing the Broncos, the Buckeyes say the only game they want is Ohio State-Boise State.

“Just three days ago there was near universal agreement that Boise State deserved a shot at the national title, while there was a lot of disagreement over whether Florida deserved to play us for the national championship,” said Tressel. “Why can’t we go back to then? Huh? Please, let’s just go back to three days ago and pretend the BCS Championship Game never happened. Please, God. Please.”

WHAT? <_<

OSU crying about this? They just humiliating in the title game. And now they're using BSU as leverage to cry. If this actually happened (and it won't...purely hypothetical), who in the world really wants BSU against OSU? If the point is for the undefeateds to get a shot at the national title, then it would be Florida right? It's total disrespect to Florida and BSU. Pretend the game never happened?! wow....

They sound an awful lot like Michigan now after the Big Ten title game.

Game over. Done. The title has been decided. Accept it. I can't believe I just read all that. Oh wait, I just read this is a humor site. Is it in line with The Onion: completely tongue-in-cheek and non-factual, or is this supposed to funny because of how true it is...including the quotes?

Well, it floored me. :lol:

Had OSU not been out for 51 days, what would have happened.... OSU Vs UF the week following the OSU v Mich. Game.... OSU would have utterly spanked the Gaters. But that is not how the Almighty BCS does things so we will never know. :angry2: We have all stated... the system $ucks. I guess we will have to live with it because the likes of us will never get the money men associated with the BCS to change anything.

And why did we not take a WAC invite? It was a no brainer. Don't give me the travel argument. I would love to have Boise State coming to town and other WAC schools. The Sunbelt has got a long way to go to get to where the WAC is. We were stupid not to take them up on the offer. Our leaving would have started another reorganization. The WAC would have eventually let Ark St and La La come along for the ride. We should have gone West. The travel and time issue sure hasn't hurt TCU.

I know it was significant and hopefully leads to more shots for everyone, I just think it was the perfect storm and Boise is still #4. I'd love to be proven wrong. You didn't really play devil's advocate, you just disagreed.

Besides, OSU wants a playoff too....

http://sportspickle.com/features/volume6/2...-ohiostate.html

“Hey, if the offer is still on the table – Ohio State vs. Boise State for the national championship – we’ll take hit,” said Ohio State head coach Jim Tressel. “Boise State deserves their shot and you know, uh, we wouldn’t mind playing the title game over again.”

Boise State head coach Chris Petersen says he welcomes Ohio State’s offer, but doubts his team will accept.

NCAA president Myles Brand says he likes certain aspects of Ohio State’s proposal, but doubts he would ever approve of the game under its current format.

Ok, I don't wanna go so far as to assume that none of you can recognize satire and sarcasm when you see it but am I the only one who realizes this is a bogus article? Anyone? Bueller, Bueller?

Travel over to the La Tech board and ask them how the WAC has worked out for them.

Well, I sure don't see them leaving the WAC to join the SBC. I think the BCS Bowl payout...along with their other bowls create enough revenue sharing to more than make up for travel costs. How much revenue sharing is there in the SBC? Not much...compared to any other conference. I'd like to know Todd Dodge's take on this. How much pub did the WAC get with Boise State's victory? Every program benefits from that. Is any SBC school going to do that? I don't think so any time soon. If UNT could get more money from bowl revenue and play in a better conference, we would get even better recruits. THEN, maybe we could pull a Boise State. In the SBC, I don't think so...as good as Dodge is.

Well, I sure don't see them leaving the WAC to join the SBC. I think the BCS Bowl payout...along with their other bowls create enough revenue sharing to more than make up for travel costs. How much revenue sharing is there in the SBC? Not much...compared to any other conference. I'd like to know Todd Dodge's take on this. How much pub did the WAC get with Boise State's victory? Every program benefits from that. Is any SBC school going to do that? I don't think so any time soon. If UNT could get more money from bowl revenue and play in a better conference, we would get even better recruits. THEN, maybe we could pull a Boise State. In the SBC, I don't think so...as good as Dodge is.

While you are over there asking about how the financial burden of traveling around the WAC has cash strapped their department, ask them how they feel about returning to the SBC.

p.s. Harry, can we get a dead horse smiley?

Edited by UNTLifer

Had OSU not been out for 51 days, what would have happened.... OSU Vs UF the week following the OSU v Mich. Game.... OSU would have utterly spanked the Gaters. But that is not how the Almighty BCS does things so we will never know. :angry2: We have all stated... the system $ucks. I guess we will have to live with it because the likes of us will never get the money men associated with the BCS to change anything.

Florida was off for thirty-seven days and it didn't seem to hurt them. Florida finished with a championship game aganist Arkansas and Ohio State finished with a championship game against Michigan, then they both had a huge layoff. It was a fair fight. OSU got hammered, fair and square.

And my two cents, as much as I love Boise State and would love to see a school like that playing for the title, I think Florida, LSU, USC, or Ohio State would have beaten Boise. Probably Michigan would have beaten them as well. Oklahoma was good, but they were not at the level of the elite this year. Quoner is right, Boise's undefeated season and BCS win were the result of a perfect storm.

But, maybe more importantly, what I think people will remember from this bowl season was that outrageous Boise State victory. OSU-Florida got upstaged, and that's good news for all the so-called mid-majors.

Looks like the "experts" are just figuring something out!

Boise State leads mid-major revolution in bowls

Dennis Dodd Jan. 11, 2007

By Dennis Dodd

CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

The biggest news to come out of the bowl season? The mid-majors can play.

The Little Guys finished 3-5 against BCS conference schools in bowl games. But four of the losses were by eight points or less; two by a point. BYU (11-2) became BYU again, but who would have forecast the Cougars beating Oregon by 30? Hawaii (11-3) tied the school record for victories and has a Heisman favorite if Colt Brennan sticks around.

Twenty-five teams nationally finished with at least 10 wins. Six of them were from the MAC, Conference USA, Mountain West and WAC.

Let's face it, though, I wouldn't be writing this unless a certain Idaho school hadn't shocked the nation on Jan. 1.

So let's settle this Boise State argument now.

The question is not whether the Broncos can play. What more do you have to see? Boise State beat two ranked teams, one of them in the top 10. That's one more top 10 victory than Notre Dame scored.

Don't blame Boise for its WAC schedule. Chris Petersen and the Broncos rose above their conference brothers to get enough talent to beat BCS conference schools.

The question is whether a team like Boise deserves a shot at a playoff. That has already been answered. It would have to be included, given the new access points (automatic qualification with a top 12 finish; top 16 if it finishes higher than a power conference champion).

And if they're in, they've got a chance.

Twenty-two years ago, BYU beat a 6-5 Michigan team to clinch the national championship. Boise beat Big 12 champion Oklahoma, ranked No. 7 at the time. Are you telling me they couldn't do that again a week later against an LSU or Southern California?

I asked Ohio State's Kirk Barton while in Arizona if Boise could "play."

"They can," he said. "They beat Oklahoma. Oklahoma is Oklahoma. ... It's part of the 85 scholarship thing. You can't hoard all the guys. You've got to let some of them go. Some of them turn out to be better than the ones you take."

If we have to, we'll play the progression card: Boise beat Oregon State which beat USC which beat Arkansas which beat Auburn which handed Florida its only loss.

A national championship is coming for The Great Unwashed, those non-BCS leagues, and it's coming soon. It's just a question of whether the college football establishment can handle it.

The 2004 Boise team that went undefeated featured no NFL draftees. Former coach Dan Hawkins told me last week he believes nine or 10 Broncos will land on NFL rosters from this 2006 team.

Boise led Oklahoma by 18 on a neutral field. It won despite being outweighed on the defensive line by 30 pounds. That's coaching and guts.

BYU in 1984 was an anomaly. Boise State in 2006 is leading a revolution.

Best bowl moment

Or why the only reality TV is live televised sports ... this one has to go to Ian Johnson's proposal to his cheerleader girlfriend moments after Boise State's Fiesta Bowl win.

"The thing that made us feel good about it is we were on the platform at the trophy presentation and I see Ian on the JumboTron on one knee," Chris Petersen told the Los Angeles Times. "I'm just hoping it is his girlfriend and not some cute cheerleader that he got caught up in the moment with."

Best place to be

The greater Phoenix area. Three games. Ten days. Three great stories. One coach out of work.

From Dec. 30-Jan. 8, the Fiesta Bowl folks hosted the Insight, Fiesta and BCS title game.

If you'll recall, Minnesota blew a 31-point lead to Texas Tech in the Insight. Two days later Gophers coach Glen Mason was fired.

Two days later, Boise used three trick plays to upset Oklahoma.

That was just the beginning after Ohio State's Ted Ginn Jr. returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown in the BCS title game. Taking that and the end of the Fiesta into account, in a span of 17 plays lasting 1 minute, 26 seconds fans saw six touchdowns and two two-point conversions.

Yes, it was fun to be in the Valley of the Sun. The area saw the nation's only undefeated team, the national champion and Mike Leach crying in his postgame interview.

Winners

JaMarcus Russell: Halfway through the season, the LSU quarterback was an enigma. After a spectacular Sugar Bowl performance, J.R. might be the No. 1 pick in the draft.

Florida: Miami and Florida State should be afraid, very afraid. Urban Meyer is young, energetic and ready to dominate the state for years to come.

The Big East: 5-0 in bowls, three in the top 10 at one point, a BCS bowl win. A big-time BCS conference again thanks to Rutgers, West Virginia and Louisville.

USC: Lose to two unranked teams, lose Dwayne Jarrett to the draft, lose Pete Carroll's full attention (to Wayne Huizenga), beat Michigan. Become preseason favorite in '07. Not a bad rebuilding year.

Alabama: Lose Rich Rodriguez. Lose the Independence Bowl. Finish below .500. Lose the fan's faith. Get Nick Saban. Sometimes you just live right, especially if you pay $4 million per year.

The new coordinators, by the way, will be making $500,000 each.

Pac-10: Made a case for being the second-best league in the nation. The new nine-game conference schedule makes it one less patsy for each team to play.

USC and Cal were top 10 quality. Three teams won 10. Nine of 10 teams won at least five games.

Sun Belt: Three teams finished at least .500 (that's a huge accomplishment for this league). Troy won eight games. Rick Stockstill is a rising star at Middle Tennessee State.

WAC: Boise was the nation's only undefeated team. Hawaii won 11 and had the best quarterback (statistically) in the country. San Jose State won nine three years after almost giving up the sport. The WAC was 3-1 in bowls. The only loss was Nevada by one point to Miami.

Rice: First bowl since 1961.

Rutgers: First bowl win in 137 years of football.

Losers

Big 12: 0-14 in non-conference games against ranked teams, 3-5 in bowls. Every team lost at least three games.

ACC: Miami and Florida State are stuck in neutral. There was that ugly brawl but, oh, remember Florida International started it.

Wake Forest was a great story but when Wake wins the ACC, the ACC is down.

Georgia Tech quarterback Reggie Ball: Bad quarterback, bad student (flunked out in December), bad character. When sophomore Taylor Bennett threw for 326 yards and three touchdowns against West Virginia in the Gator Bowl, Jackets fans were asking, "Where has this guy been?"

The Notre Dame myth: Two years and Charlie Weis' best "win" is a loss to USC.

Ohio State's offensive line: The common cold should be renamed "Boone," in reference to the draft created by Florida defenders as they breezed past Buckeyes left tackle Alex Boone.

Michigan: Authorities are still trying to determine if Michigan actually arrived in Pasadena. DNA samples are being examined.

Polls: The AP gets a pass because media are paid to evaluate and interpret. But what are the coaches doing ranking undefeated Boise sixth? Don't ever tell us again it's all about winning. No, fellas, it's all about taking care of your friends.

Five predictions for '07

• Charlie Weis will take a serious look at the NFL. The question is whether we (the media) will find out.

• Darren McFadden will win the Heisman -- and maybe the Davey O'Brien, too.

• There will be a bit of interest in the LSU-Alabama game.

• QB Mark Sanchez will make a serious run at the starting job at USC.

• We're still not done with 2006 coaching changes. There's still a scandal out there somewhere that will get someone fired in '07.

Breakthrough teams in '07

Hawaii: Should have beaten Alabama. Almost beat Boise. Did beat Arizona State and Purdue.

TCU: You hear it every year, but we really mean it this time.

Indiana: Two words: Kellen Lewis and Terry Hoeppner.

The Carolinas: North Carolina and N.C. State each have new coaches. East Carolina is coming off its first bowl in five years. Clemson has the talent to win its division. South Carolina, too.

Kentucky: Rich Brooks is Lazarus. Led Cats to first bowl win in 22 years.

UCLA: Beating USC is a positive.

Rice: Wise to extend Todd Graham through 2012 after the Owls' first bowl game in 45 years.

© MMVII, CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved. SportsLine is a registered service mark of SportsLine.com, Inc.

CBS "eye device" is a registered trademark of CBS Broadcasting, Inc.

The problem with this idea of a non-bcs "revolution" is that the schools with the budgets, facilities, fan bases, tradition, and name recognition in football and basketball are predominantly located in the west. That's why this revolution will, unfortunately, not be equally spread throughout the country. Instead the western non-bcs powers will simply consolidate their power even further. The MWC adds Boise State, Fresno State, Hawaii, Nevada, and UTEP and becomes even stronger than it already is, MWC has 14 and the WAC disappears. For the rest of the revolutionaries life will just go on as it always has. That's the way revolutions always turn out. The leaders of the revolution become the new post-revolution elite and the peasants just go on being peasants as they've always been.

Gotta give credit to TCU for realizing that the MWC is where the power will end up and having the foresight to get in there while they still could.

Edited by GreenEddieNT