LOCAL RECRUITS

ntex1122

now lets see if UNT will recruit locally. it was my understanding the previous staff only wanted kids from out of the area and intentionally avoided the locals. there are several good programs around with kids that can play UNT level D1. Denton HS has the Coleman kid, Ryan HS has the Goldthorpe kid and several others I am sure, Lake Dallas HS has the duo of Hill and Baine. Not sure how good they are, but they sure seem to get alot of great press and these type of kids would also get some more locals coming to the games.

I think that Justin Hill (Lake Dallas) recently committed to Rice....but that was pre-Todd Dodge. So, maybe he will have a change of mind, if we are interested in the kid, and recruit him.

Scottie (from the Voy Board) has seen him play several times....his wife teaches there. He knows more about it, but I believe he told me that Hill wants to stay close to home, but at the time North Texas had not contacted him (once again that was pre-Dodge).

Edited by SUMG

I think that Justin Hill (Lake Dallas) recently committed to Rice....but that was pre-Todd Dodge. So, maybe he will have a change of mind, if we are interested in the kid, and recruit him.

Scottie (from the Voy Board) has seen him play several times....his wife teaches there. He knows more about it, but I believe he told me that Hill wants to stay close to home, but at the time North Texas had not  contacted him (once again that was pre-Dodge).

Would not be surprised in the least bit to see Florence send kids to UNT because of Dodge.

I may be biased as a graduate of Fossil Ridge High School (which Todd Dodge was coach at in 98'-99' and the current head coach, Hal Wasson, who was on Dodge's staff at Southlake) but I know FR has some pretty good prospects. I've heard a couple of guys were going to Texas and heard a rumor of one signing with Miami. It might be a plus recruiting some guys from FR since Wasson's offense has Dodge influences in it.

GO GREEN*GO WHITE

We really need someone to plug up the DL. How about we start with Chris Perry (6'3" X 320) from Fossil Ridge. Right now he's "undecided".

And here is a potential "media event" signing, if it could happen.

How about Bradley Haynes (6'3" X 200) from Summitt. I'm told that this is the grandson of Abner Haynes. So if Bradley signs with North Texas, we "unretire" #28 and present it to Bradley on signing day.....with a beaming father and grandfather standing close by. wink.gif

How about Bradley Haynes (6'3" X 200) from Summitt. I'm told that this is the grandson of Abner Haynes. So if Bradley signs with North Texas, we "unretire" #28 and present it to Bradley on signing day.....with a beaming father and grandfather standing close by. wink.gif

I usually reserve this for my Guiness beer but...brilliant!

We really need someone to plug up the DL. How about we start with Chris Perry (6'3" X 320) from Fossil Ridge. Right now he's "undecided".

We have already offered Bradley Haynes a scholarship, so it is up to him now. Signing TD as HC might help him in that decision, though...

It is going to be exciting to get some really good QB recruits in here for a change. It is almost like the old regime felt like a good RB and good O-line could do it all. But, to be fair, we did not run a wide-open style of offense. The "Buick" could of cared less who was back getting the ball from center. rolleyes.gif

We have already offered Bradley Haynes a scholarship, so it is up to him now.  Signing TD as HC might help him in that decision, though...

It is going to be exciting to get some really good QB recruits in here for a change.  It is almost like the old regime felt like a good RB and good O-line could do it all.  But, to be fair, we did not run a wide-open style of offense.  The "Buick" could of cared less who was back getting the ball from center. rolleyes.gif

I'm sure that some highly rated QB's might start looking at us now, but I really don't see anything wrong with the QB's that we currently have on the roster.

As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing wrong with our current QB's that some Todd Dodge teaching (or re-teaching) won't cure.

What about the small schools around here like Celina?  There have got to be some overlooked players in those towns that could succeed under Dodge.  I understand he has had some undersized teams at Southlake.

I have a coworker from Celina here who says that there are four of their linemen (both offensive and defensive) who are seriously considering NT.

I'm sure that some highly rated QB's might start looking at us now, but I really don't see anything wrong with the QB's that we currently have on the roster.

As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing wrong with our current QB's that some Todd Dodge teaching (or re-teaching) won't cure.

agree 100%, we could have our starter on the active roster. Question is can they absorb what Dodge throws at them? Time will tell.

now lets see if UNT will recruit locally.  it was my understanding the previous staff only wanted kids from out of the area and intentionally avoided the locals.  there are several good programs around with kids that can play UNT level D1.  Denton HS has the Coleman kid, Ryan HS has the Goldthorpe kid and several others I am sure, Lake Dallas HS has the duo of Hill and Baine.  Not sure how good they are, but they sure seem to get alot of great press and these type of kids would also get some more locals coming to the games.

I get tried of hearing NT doesn't recruit locally.....I just went through this years roster and counted 28 players from the DFW/Denton area and immediate surrounding communities including some of our better players. Pull up the roster and see for yourself. I have been very aware of players that NT tried hard to recruit that went to other schools, including Denton players.

Now if you said Dallas ISD I will believe it...there were only 1 Dennis Hopovac WTWhite. Until this year, are you aware of who recruited Dallas ISD....Ramon Flannigan. This recruiting season Evans divided up the metroplex area so that every recruiter had some of the area schools...even if their primary area was Houston, etc. Done so they could slip away while in Denton and get more local recruits time wise, vs. recruit vs only recruit way out of town.

There are two on the roster from private schools in Dallas Dennis Cox from Bishop Lynch and a James Thokey from So. Nazarene..who may be a walk on.

3 currently from Denton...two on ship and one walk on. FW ISD is not much better with only 2....but the FW ISD has so de emphized FB and athletic budgets, forced coaches to play "everyone" instead of their best players, coaches spending their own money for supplies, little or no weight room or facilities, that there

were probably less than 5 or 6 players from that district that signed with Div 1 teams.

I see roster players from Irving, Celina, Everman, Kennedale, Waxachie, Euless, Sanger, Keller, Richardson, Aubry, Kaufman, Arlington, Plano, McKinney (JQ) Garland Mesquite, Alvarado, Coppell, Mansfield and Burleson.

It is hard to recruit Denton because most of the kids want to get away from home, but its not from lack of effort.

I see a lot of changes and improvements with the new HC and his assistants with NT getting some recruits we would previously not been able to recruit. For example: why would a passing QB or WR sign with a school that operated with such a run based offence. We have been lucky to get some quality here despite that with Quinn and Muzzy and others and DD had to be argued with before he would OK Quinn a ship.

Sorry to get on my soap box but I follow NT recruiting every day as a hobby.

Excellent idea!

By the way, doesn't Coach (Clayton) George have a prized QB at Haltom?

OldTimer,

Keep up the great work. And I hear you on the arguement about recruiting locally. We do, NOW. We haven't in the past, at least not as much as you would think we would have. I asked our recruiting coordinator two years ago what the deal was with that. He admitted that we had not done a good job locally but that he was addressing it immediately(at the time), and I now know that he did. However, no one could MAKE RF get off of it and do his part, which is where most of this stigma comes from IMO.

Rick

Now if you said Dallas ISD I will believe it...there were only 1 Dennis Hopovac WTWhite. Until this year, are you aware of who recruited Dallas ISD....Ramon Flannigan. This recruiting season Evans divided up the metroplex area so that every recruiter had some of the area schools...even if their primary area was Houston, etc. Done so they could slip away while in Denton and get more local recruits time wise, vs. recruit vs only recruit way out of town.

We didn't recruit DISD, but it wasn't the area as a whole. However, there were some problems that a HC's expressed with getting return phone calls for players they wanted to push toward NT. Some became frustrated and one that I'm aware of even said he would not deal with certain people in the previous regime or recommend athletes until changes took place (due to past treatment).

When you've got a Head Coach (and staff) that are unhappy where they are working, and publicly say so ...... How can you expect them to sell a recruit that this is a place they would want to be?

Thank goodness we now have someone talking about the 'tremendous upside' of this place. Talking about how we CAN win, not about why it's tough for us to win!

Excellent idea!

By the way, doesn't Coach (Clayton) George have a prized QB at Haltom?

OldTimer,

Keep up the great work.  And I hear you on the arguement about recruiting locally.  We do, NOW.  We haven't in the past, at least not as much as you would think we would have.  I asked our recruiting coordinator two years ago what the deal was with that.  He admitted that we had not done a good job locally but that he was addressing it immediately(at the time), and I now know that he did.  However, no one could MAKE RF get off of it and do his part, which is where most of this stigma comes from IMO.

Rick

A long time friend of mine has a son by the name of Brent Tittle who plays OL at Richland. He's listed at 6'4" and 340. My friend says he seriously is considering UNT (prior to knowing about Dodge). His sister just graduated from UNT. He had another son that was 6'8" and over 350 that wanted to go to a major college and did not get an offer so went to Div II Harding in Ark. I think the family is much more realistic now. But I don't know how Brent rates.