UNT to be Dodge driven?

Harry

I like SLC's offensive system but I'm still gun shy from the Dennis Parker era, not sure about another HS coach.

I think this process is similar to naming a baby. When choosing a baby's name I have always heard that you should never reveal the name before birth; as someone will always have an anecdote about someone they knew with that name that they didn't care for.

For example: I am gun shy of star quarterbacks as head coaches or offensive coordinators. Especially ones that learned their craft at SMU; they tend to not be very creative offensively.

I am still not sure how the Dodge thing would go; but that is a guy who does know how to win. And their is something to be said about that.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt Bruce Chambers was a horrible coach at Dallas Carter. He had been the defensive coordinator to previous coach Freddie James. Carter, without question, had the best and most talent in the country at the time. Bruce was at the right place at the right time.

Mack Brown, new to UT, knew that he had to get into Dallas Carter, thus the hiring of Bruce. I've known Bruce since our days at North Texas State, where he was best friends with fellow NT great, Malcolm Jones. I've recently worked closely with a cousin of his the last 2-3 years.

Though I've been a huge Dallas Carter fan, I've never considered Bruce head coaching material. He's a home boy and all, but I'd pass.

By the way, his salary at UT is about $130,000. Moreover, the DISD administrators and fellow coaches (that were around during his day) have moved on. He does, however, know the area.

there is so much hypocrisy with the press, where was the furor over the firing of the UNC coach, 2-3 weeks prior to DD getting a pink slip?

DD may have won 4 Titles, but on 1-3 in Bowl Games and 6 losing seasons out of 9 should not cut it anywhere, of course the press just refuses to acknolwedge that.

Dodge would definitly excite the local fan base which we need. I think his reputation would give him a couple years worth of credibility with High School players. SLC has played on Fox Sports as many times as UNT over the past few years....people know who he is and the offense that he runs. I do not doubt he'd be able to recruit some good/outstanding players in those early years. Plus - If he brings in assistants from other colleges rather than High Schools, he's going to be bringing recruiting experience in as well.

I'd also bet we'd get some SLC fans out to a couple home games to watch their former coach at the college level.

With our budget, we're not going to be able to get a proven commodity. We'll have to take a chance on someone that might want to use us as a stepping stone to the BCS. I think Dodge would be a good candidate.

there is so much hypocrisy with the press, where was the furor over the firing of the UNC coach, 2-3 weeks prior to DD getting a pink slip?

DD may have won 4 Titles, but on 1-3 in Bowl Games and 6 losing seasons out of 9 should not cut it anywhere, of course the press just refuses to acknolwedge that.

I've gotten half a dozen phone calls from guys who were Talons in the Hayden Fry days. (In school, I knew a lot of Talons although I didn't have time to join.) Each of them has told me hold stunned they are at DD's firing. These are guys in their 50s who never, ever read computer message boards. I mentioned bowl losses and get laughed at as none of the previous coaches even GOT to bowls. Six of nine losing seasons gets "most of those were when he was turning the program around. One of those still got us to our first bowl in 40 years." And not a one of them has ever read any of the negative comments from DD since those don't appear in the Morning News. And they don't listen to the post game radio show.

And it should be noted, that while these guys are proud they "give money" to NT, it's only about $50 to $100 a year. And during the past four years, every one of them has turned down my invitations actually come to a game!

I've gotten half a dozen phone calls from guys who were Talons in the Hayden Fry days. (In school, I knew a lot of Talons although I didn't have time to join.) Each of them has told me hold stunned they are at DD's firing. These are guys in their 50s who never, ever read computer message boards. I mentioned bowl losses and get laughed at as none of the previous coaches even GOT to bowls. Six of nine losing seasons gets "most of those were when he was turning the program around. One of those still got us to our first bowl in 40 years." And not a one of them has ever read any of the negative comments from DD since those don't appear in the Morning News. And  they don't listen to the post game radio show.

And it should be noted, that while these guys are proud they "give money" to NT, it's only about $50 to $100 a year. And during the past four years, every one of them has turned down my invitations actually come to a game!

??????

Are you presenting these guy's comments as representing the majority of North Texas alumni/fans out there?

??????

Are you presenting these guy's comments as representing the majority of North Texas alumni/fans out there?

I hope it's not the majority, but I'm sure it is a significant minority - greater than 35%. At $50 of giving, they are right in average for our alums. The small group I talk to was among the more active supporters while they were in school during the 70s, but the 80s program completely drove them away.

Going to a bowl game in 2001 after the 40 year drought got their attention.

I'm not saying they are correct, but it is NOT just the "press" who is questioning NT right now. Remember, there are only 2800 or so users on this board who follow closely. There are 10Ks of alumni in the area who get their news from the newspaper, the TV and the radio - not an internet message board.

Actually I think Dodge is a good HS coach, and that is about  it...Thats all he is successful in....

What has Dodge recruited since he's been at SLC....having snobby kids in your own school district is not called recruiting.....

I want a Mike Price type hire....Maybe Price is tired of UTEP already....

Actually, Dodge is recruiting at SLC. Their #1 receiver this year was the all district receiver for either Newman Smith or RL Turner High School last year. Suddenly he discovered he had an aunt that lived in Southlake and transferred in. Just one example. Amazing what success and winning will do.

I hear that there is a chance that if TD comes he would bring a staff that is laden with college experienced assitants, including one from tU.

I was totally against hiring TD until reading this. Even still, how are we going to afford this staff??

Another thing (not related to this post) is that in one of the press releases surrounding DD's firing, a 500K base salary number came out. Was that a researched fact?--or bad reporting?...are we offering 500K for our next HC!?...or is that including all the assistant coaches? If the 500K figure is just for the HC, would that not make our HC the highest paid in the conference?

Edited by TIgreen01

I was totally against hiring TD until reading this.  Even still, how are we going to afford this staff??

Another thing (not related to this post) is that in one of the press releases surrounding DD's firing, a 500K base salary number came out.  Was that a researched fact?--or bad reporting?...are we offering 500K for our next HC!?...or is that including all the assistant coaches?  If the 500K figure is just for the HC, would that not make our HC the highest paid in the conference?

The way I read it, $500k is the max contract the Prez can approve without going to the board. So, if you give him $150k a year for 4 years, i.e. $600k, the Prez would have to get the boards approval.

To me, Dodge is a guy who has the respect of guys in all the ranks of football. Hell, even Parcells called him in to chat about his offense. He's obviously talented with Xs and Os, and he knows how to run a program. He runs an exciting new style of offense that can help teams achieve parity with relative efficiency. The media coverage, especially locally, would be tremendous, and would cause a buzz that we couldn't hope to buy through traditional advertising. He is a guy on the way up and will be motivated in a way an established coach at a BCS program might not be. He'll have no misconceptions, nothing taken for granted that a guy coming from a UT type program might have. But perhaps the biggest selling point to me is that he is a guy that is used to winning, and accepts nothing less.

High school or not, if he is interested, and we pass on this guy, I have a strong feeling we'll be looking at it in the rear view mirror ten years from now and kicking ourselves. Dodge is going places, and I'd much prefer it be here.

While Chambers is a good choice, I'm don't know if we can really judge how well he could recruit here. In the Dallas area, Texas and OU pretty much recruit themself.

Case in point. about 10 years ago, Arkansas had a top recruiting in the country named Fritz Hill. He was hired away to be the HC at San Jose State. Three years later, that failed experience was done.

Chambers may be a good recruiter, but M Brown is the main reason kids go to UT.

Guest GrayEagleOne

While I'm not totally convinced that Dodge is the best fit, let's talk about him in comparison to others.

He is not just any high school coach. He has won multiple state championships (nat just one as Parker did) and TWO (albeit mythical) NATIONAL championships.

He has even had a taste of what college coaching is about and is familiar with North Texas.

If you have ever watched the SLC offense in action then you know that it is an exciting brand of football. Although Todd was an outstanding high school and college quarterback, he had not perfected his craft when he was Offensive Coordinator at UNT. But, in the thirteen years since, he has been improving each year as he gains experience. Statistically, his offense is among the best high school offenses in the country.

Bruce Chambers is a fine person and I would support him if he is chosen as the Head Coach at North Texas. Bruce actually has more years in coaching than Todd but fewer as a head coach. As I recall, his three or so years as head coach at Dallas Carter was his only service as a HEAD coach. I don't even remember any service as a coordinator, he's mostly been an assistant. His coaching job now at UT is Tight Ends Coach. He is the Assistant Head Coach but that's likely because of the only college Coordinator title that he's held, that of Recruiting Coordinator. That has to be a pretty easy job IMO. Since most of the recruits want to go to Texas, it's just a matter of evaluating who's the best fit. He doesn't have to do much selling a recruit on coming to the University.

I think that it's important to have been a head coach. You have to coordinate offense, defense, special teams, clock management, discipline, and a myriad of other responsibilities that you don't get as a Coordinator or Assistant. I think that it may be why Dickey was unsuccessful his first 3-1/2 years here. He had never had to minister to all of the various things required of a head coach.

While I'm not totally convinced that Dodge is the best fit, let's talk about him in comparison to others.

He is not just any high school coach.  He has won multiple state championships (nat just one as Parker did) and TWO (albeit mythical) NATIONAL championships. 

He has even had a taste of what college coaching is about and is familiar with North Texas. 

If you have ever watched the SLC offense in action then you know that it is an exciting brand of football.  Although Todd was an outstanding high school and college quarterback, he had not perfected his craft when he was Offensive Coordinator at UNT.  But, in the thirteen years since, he has been improving each year as he gains experience.  Statistically, his offense is among the best high school offenses in the country.

Bruce Chambers is a fine person and I would support him if he is chosen as the Head Coach at North Texas.  Bruce actually has more years in coaching than Todd but fewer as a head coach.  As I recall, his three or so years as head coach at Dallas Carter was his only service as a HEAD coach.  I don't even remember any service as a coordinator, he's mostly been an assistant.  His coaching job now at UT is Tight Ends Coach.  He is the Assistant Head Coach but that's likely because of the only college Coordinator title that he's held, that of Recruiting Coordinator.  That has to be a pretty easy job IMO.  Since most of the recruits want to go to Texas, it's just a matter of evaluating who's the best fit.  He doesn't have to do much selling a recruit on coming to the University. 

I think that it's important to have been a head coach.  You have to coordinate offense, defense, special teams, clock management, discipline, and a myriad of other responsibilities that you don't get as a Coordinator or Assistant.  I think that it may be why Dickey was unsuccessful his first 3-1/2 years here.  He had never had to minister to all of the various things required of a head coach.

Ok, we've established that TD is a great X's and O's coach. He knows how to win, and he doesn't tolerate anything less.

Just my humble opinion, but the other great quality that a HD needs at North Texas is the ability to motivate the fan base. At SLC Coach Dodge hasn't had to talk anyone into coming to games. People are lining up to go to games, and to be in the booster club. They are also moving to the Southlake so that thier kids can play in his system.

At SLC, coach Dodge takes care of the winning, and the administration and booster clubs take care of the spirit.....which was always there from the very beginning.

I like coach Carthel, because he has gone to programs that were on the downturn, and turned them into winners. He doesn't mind working hard at getting out into the community and getting the fans/alumni interested. He's also used to working with limited resources.

I have no earthly idea what sort of personality Coach Dodge has.

Do we trade a Buick for a Dodge? blink.gif

That was a good one NT80!!

Todd is not your regular ole off the lot Dodge. He is NASCAR caliber! I know he could/will be successful. I would venture to say that he alone would increase home attendance by 50% (maybe even 100%) in year one. He does have college coaching experience and is a damn good coach period. You gotta like any coach with the initials TD!! RV, go ahead and print his business cards!!!

Edited by football fan

I for one would be ecstatic if we landed Todd Dodge. Like I've said in previous posts...SLC wins not because they have superior athletes, but because they buy in to a great system and play as a team. How many D1 athletes does Southlake actually produce each year? Not too many. How many end up in the NFL? I think they have one (a kicker).

They keep on winning despite their "key" players graduating. Dodge is able to produce winning teams with rosters comprised of mostly good, not great, athletes (compared to some other area schools). Sounds perfect for North Texas to me.

Oh, and after years and years of "up the gut" football, it might be fun to watch a high octane offensive system...maybe that would excite some of the fence sitting fan base.

I for one would be ecstatic if we landed Todd Dodge.  Like I've said in previous posts...SLC wins not because they have superior athletes, but because they buy in to a great system and play as a team.  How many D1 athletes does Southlake actually produce each year?  Not too many.  How many end up in the NFL?  I think they have one (a kicker).

They keep on winning despite their "key" players graduating.  Dodge is able to produce winning teams with rosters comprised of mostly good, not great, athletes (compared to some other area schools).  Sounds perfect for North Texas to me.

Oh, and after years and years of "up the gut" football, it might be fun to watch a high octane offensive system...maybe that would excite some of the fence sitting fan base.

I can almost guarantee you that if we have a "high octane" offense installed out at Fouts and it is exciting, people will turn out. Case in point, look how many people turned out to watch Denton Ryan the two years they won their state titles. I have friends who ask me all the time if they want to go out and watch SLC with them.