How come no one mentioned Chizik?

Objective Aggie

Don't scoff at Slocum. I met him many times and he is a great individual. He was a players coach and resonated well with the high school ranks. He was a very good recruiter.

+'s

+ knows defense

+ knows Texas

+ knows HSs in Texas

+ ethical

+ proven record

+ good spokeman for the university

+ some name reognition, but not a WOW. Still, he woudl get coverage from all the state papers on UNT inthe first season

-s

- been out too long

- had difficulty sustaining an offense or an OC, which may not be a good formula in Denton

- declined as a coach his last years at A&M

The first negative will be his biggest obstacle, and I think that will be his undoing.

Don't scoff at Slocum.  I met him many times and he is a great individual.  He was a players coach and resonated well with the high school ranks.  He was a very good recruiter.

+'s

+ knows defense

+ knows Texas

+ knows HSs in Texas

+ ethical

+ proven record

+ good spokeman for the university

+ some name reognition, but not a WOW.  Still, he woudl get coverage from all the state papers on UNT inthe first season

-s

- been out too long

- had difficulty sustaining an offense or an OC, which may not be a good formula in Denton

- declined as a coach his last years at A&M

The first negative will be his biggest obstacle, and I think that will be his undoing.

Thats why I don't like him. I just don't think he has anything left. We need an offensive minded coach.

Here would be my picks for the next coach (in no real order):

1. Chizik, Texas (and Auburn) DC

2. Dan McCartney, a retread, but he had his moments.

3. Todd Dodge

4. Rick Neuheusil

5. R.C. Slocum

Chizik would be awesome but he makes $300K + at Texas. He will be able to command a $1Mil plus HC position. Can we pay that? Come on boys (us posters), open the wallets!

Guest GrayEagleOne

I don't know Dan McCartney but if you mean Bill McCartney, the former Colorado coach then I'd say forget it (although I agree that he did have some moments).

To those of you that say Slocum had no offense in his waning last three years, he put up 348, 248, and 345, respectively. Only nine times in those three years did his offense held to under 20 points. His last year was poor by his tandards, he only went 6-6 but he still never had a losing season. Ironically, the year that his team only score 248 points he was 8-4 because his defense only gave up 210

He'd also be the most well-respected (in Texas) of the coaches available.

I also agree that we probably can't afford Chizik. He's one of the highest paid coordinators in the country...more than a lot of head coaches.

The same might be true for Rick Neuheusel but he's a proven commodity as a head coach so it would be a little more comfortable having to dig deep, if we could afford it. If he could be successful here then he could name his own price for the next perennial Top 10 opening.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Don't expect Dodge to come running to NT. He has a pretty sweet deal at SLC and has ties to Texas. If for some reason tu is looking for a new coach, Dodge would run like the wind to that.

Good grief....

First of all, who said anything about him running to NT? But, if he wants college experience, he could double or triple his salary without even having to move. Then, he might be attractive to Texas some day.

What are his ties to Texas other than graduating from there? If he has some ties, why has he not used them? He could and should be the OC at the University if he has any strings that he could pull.

ANY young coach that is successful at North Texas will soon move up. Todd Dodge would be no different than any other.

I don't know Dan McCartney but if you mean Bill McCartney, the former Colorado coach then I'd say forget it (although I agree that he did have some moments).

To those of you that say Slocum had no offense in his waning last three years, he put up 348, 248, and 345, respectively.  Only nine times in those three years did his offense held to under 20 points.  His last year was poor by his tandards, he only went 6-6 but he still never had a losing season.  Ironically, the year that his team only score 248 points he was 8-4 because his defense only gave up 210

He'd also be the most well-respected (in Texas) of the coaches available.

I also agree that we probably can't afford Chizik.  He's one of the highest paid coordinators in the country...more than a lot of head coaches.

The same might be true for Rick Neuheusel but he's a proven commodity as a head coach so it would be a little more comfortable having to dig deep, if we could afford it.  If he could be successful here then he could name his own price for the next perennial Top 10 opening.

Dan McCartney is and has been the head coach at Iowa State. He brought the program into national prominence. However, the last couple of years have been unkind to him and he is on is way out. When first hired he relied solely on JC players.

Don't expect Dodge to come running to NT. He has a pretty sweet deal at SLC and has ties to Texas. If for some reason tu is looking for a new coach, Dodge would run like the wind to that.

SLC pays him less than $100k per year, how is that a sweet deal? As far as Texas, no coach in their right mind would take an assistant coach job over the chance of being a head coach.

Todd Dodge will never coach at Texas. He was booed off the field his last game as a starter there, and spent the last year of his career riding pine. He has serious resentment issues, according to quite a few.

Secondly.......did the word "Ethics" actually just get used to describe RC Slocum???? He was a step up for the Ags from Sherrill, but he was no angel.

Todd Dodge will never coach at Texas.  He was booed off the field his last game as a starter there, and spent the last year of his career riding pine.  He has serious resentment issues, according to quite a few.

Fans have short memories...

tu fans will see the sucess Dodge has at SLC and will be extatic to have him as a coach.

I just don't see the Todd Dodge thing happening. What a gig he's got...never loses, is King of Southlake, no pressure. Sure, he'd make a little more money here, but the headaches would compound exponentially.

A lot of people on here seem to be fired up about him, but what makes anyone think he could be successful at the D1A level? Are there any precedents for a successful h.s. coach going straight to a D1A HC job and being successful?

Edited by kj86