New Stadium--- is it a Hoax...

UNT_playmaker

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has TXDOT began its acquisition process yet?  Perhaps the 'powers to be' are awaiting the funds generated by the I35 acquisition???? Just a thought.

I own some land on I-35 in Corinth that part of is going to be condemned. Last I heard they are going to start the "condemnation process" early in 2007. There is also a web site where you can view an aireal photo of the proposed overlay.

I will try to find it again and post it.

I own some land on I-35 in Corinth that part of is going to be condemned.  Last I heard they are going to start the "condemnation process" early in 2007.  There is also a web site where you can view an aireal photo of the proposed overlay.

I will try to find it again and post it.

Thank you.

Logical thinking would be - a site that is being actively used may have more value. A little bargaining chip??

"'condemnation process' to start early 2007" --- fundraising campaign to start spring/summer 2007????

This subject may have already been beaten to death on this forum; if so, sorry for bringing it up again.

Edited by GreenGramma

Yea, meanwhile Don Henley is charging $150 a ticket for people to see him in concert.  I wonder how he is able to pay the bills.

You can bet some of these jokers would be standing in line to donate at ASU and UNT if the schools were more nationally known and they could get hit by a wave of publicity from such a 'good deed'. dry.gif

Guest JohnDenver

How about Don Henley doing a benefit concert in Fouts to kick off the stadium fundraising??

He would only do that if it were a fund raiser for his new fence...

ROCK: DON HENLEY ASKS FOR BIGGER FENCE

DALLAS (AP) _ Don Henley has appeared before the Dallas Board of Adjustment to plead for a bigger fence. Henley asked the board for permission to fortify his front gate and raise the fence to eight feet. Henley says there's an ugly underside to his business, including stalkers and mentally unstable people. He says he's had a problem with it and the police are aware of it. Henley has a seven-foot fence around the property right now and had wanted to make it a nine-foot fence with a gatehouse. His neighbors said that would set a dangerous precedent for the community. The board unanimously approved his request without the gatehouse but to make the fence eight feet.

it would have to be the donors idea otherwise the school will try and lure the donor away from athletics.  I hear athletics is prohibited from contacting some big school donors.

Knowing the financial benefits that a high profile, successful athletics department can bring a university, this makes perfect sense. blink.gif

Thank you. 

Logical thinking would be - a site that is being actively used may have more value.  A little bargaining chip??

"'condemnation process' to start early 2007" --- fundraising campaign to start spring/summer 2007????

I was thinking along the same line, that is there might be one set of standards that are used the pay for “non-active” land and another used to determine the value of “active-use” land. The reason (maybe wishful dreaming) that we might be waiting for a fund raising campaign is for TXDOT to make the first move???

I was thinking along the same line, that is there might be one set of standards that are used the pay for “non-active” land and another used to determine the value of “active-use” land. The reason (maybe wishful dreaming) that we might be waiting for a fund raising campaign is for TXDOT to make the first move???

It was hard to tell from the TXDOT maps, but it doesn't seem like the stadium is in the area of distruction. I think it really depends on how they do the interchange there.

Well according to that we are going to have twice as many lanes as we currently have (which was needed about 10 years ago). For the most part I dont see where they will need to purchase any more land. If you have driven the sections in question there is alot of open space in the middle and/or sides of the freeway before the service road begins.

Being where Fouts sits the design of the new interchange where 35E and 35W come together will be critical, though even if you look at that it seems they already planned a spot to put it as well.

Edited by MeanGreenBuzz

Guest GrayEagleOne

it would have to be the donors idea otherwise the school will try and lure the donor away from athletics.  I hear athletics is prohibited from contacting some big school donors.

Pretty much what I've heard, too. I know that certain large donors were taboo. Athletics was pretty much told to develop their own donors.

Pretty much what I've heard, too.  I know that certain large donors were taboo.  Athletics was pretty much told to develop their own donors.

I find it hard to believe that this is the case now. When RV first got on campus yes, now, no.

My sources tell me that there has been somewhat of a new surge in requested information by those called upon by the advancement center about future improvements with athletics being made.

It's tough right now to be Mean Green, but exciting just the same.

Rick

Gotta have Patience.  Realize the ramifications if we make an announcement concerning donors before everything is in order? 

There is a plan in place.  There has been a feasability study approved by the BOR.  There is a design that we have all seen that is being shown to potential donors and the university has already invested a good amount of money towards the project just to get that far.  RV is doing his best to right a 55 year old wrong in only his 5th 1/2 year.  He could certainly use some help from other members of his sales team to concentrate on the good at North Texas rather than the bad when pitching our program to others, but I have confidence that he's putting in the time we all demand of him to get it done. 

Rick

What he said. Plumm is a moron.

What he said.  Plumm is a moron.

IN RESPONSE TO STEBO:

Give all this another 20 years to what you've already seen at the NCAA's lower depths of SBC/Bottom 10 competition, uh, "Mr. Mean Green" and (again) let that be another 20 years of the same o' same o' from UNT leadership and then get back and join the rest of us, uh, morons rolleyes.gif , "stebo", ie, Mr. You Who Would Think You Know Whats Goin' On (but whose posts almost always prove the point that you really don't have a damn clue as to what is "really" goin' on). You seem to be the "kiss up" type around some NT coaches who would give you the time of day and the "kiss up" kind that gets offended when someone hits you with a strong dose of the truth about (what would even be obvious to a visually impaired person) as far as the state of this athletic program or some criticism to a few of your drinking buddies. FWIW, UNT probbly needs less drinkers and better coaching if truth be known. The quality of athletics that any NT varsity media guide would indicate we've been getting in Denton would probably drive many, many alums (at any other NCAA D1-A outpost) to drinking.

Now get back to your drinking buddies and drink yet another toast for even more "Mean Green Mediocrity" at the school that gives contract extensions to mediocre coaches which is tantamount to NT leadership (whose rubber-stamping and approval for such extentions) is saying to the MG Nation: "We just can't do any better than this so we'll just keep giving you all more of the same." (And BTW, we want you to keep investing into this kind of management and level of NCAA competition, too) ph34r.gif

Funny thing (or maybe moreso sadly) is how one day such leaders will boogie their way out of Denton to another job and leave all their sludge behind for all of us to enjoy yet another 25 years. dry.gif

And you say, uh, moron, stebo? laugh.gif Isn't that a case of your being the pot calling the kettle black? rolleyes.gif Moron? Go look in your bathroom mirror for the true definition of what that is. unsure.gif

Have A Nice Day. smile.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Since when do you ask a bunch of college kids for their permission to build a strong, respectable athletic program? NEVER!

You raise the student activity fee to the level you need and then you advise the students they are season ticket holders to all UNT athletic events during their enrollment and that they might want to take advantage of that aspect of college life.

This obsequious behavior on behalf of our so called leaders cost us dearly.

For example: Because we did not have the necessary funds available we were not only forced to scale down the new AC by (was it 20,000 or 30,000 sq ft?) but we were forced to accept the money from someone who made those funds contingent on the university signing a uni-lateral contract in favor of the head coach.

Because the head coach had the security of a hefty buyout clause he could say whatever he wanted to and by george he did.

How can you honestly look any recruit in the eyes and tell them UNT is a great place to play college ball when you constantly complain publicly about the "difficult circumstances" surrounding the program? YOU CAN'T!

The downfall sarted when we screwed up the issue concerning the student activity fee.

Dickey should have been fired after the 5-6 season.

We are where we are on the ladder of success because this is where we choose to be.

Since when do you ask a bunch of college kids for their permission to build a strong, respectable athletic program? NEVER!

You raise the student activity fee to the level you need and then you advise the students they are season ticket holders to all UNT athletic events during their enrollment and that they might want to take advantage of that aspect of college life.

This obsequious behavior on behalf of our so called leaders cost us dearly. 

For example: Because we did not have the necessary funds available we were not only forced to scale down the new AC by (was it 20,000 or 30,000 sq ft?) but we were forced to accept the money from someone who made those funds contingent on the university signing a uni-lateral contract in favor of the head coach.

Because the head coach had the security of a hefty buyout clause he could say whatever he wanted to and by george he did.

How can you honestly look any recruit in the eyes and tell them UNT is a great place to play college ball when you constantly complain publicly about the "difficult circumstances" surrounding the program? YOU CAN'T!

The downfall sarted when we screwed up the issue concerning the student activity fee.

Dickey should have been fired after the 5-6 season.

We are where we are on the ladder of success because this is where we choose to be.

You've hit the nail on the head with even more strong doses of the truth, Eagle Man.

So I suppose because of that...........................welcome to stebo's, uh, "Mean Green Moron Club"! rolleyes.gif

Sadly, Bobby Ray (not so long ago) said nothing had been raised toward a new stadium. Question is: For those who have been charged from the git-go of their employment at UNT to raise millions for anything, how much of that has been raised? So does all this point to some more cold harsh truth that what "someone" unsure.gif on this board has been saying for a long, long time that for UNT to even dream of getting jump-started on anything relating to building a new football stadium that UNT is still going to need a, uh, BIG DONOR? rolleyes.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

• 2 months later...

I find it hard to believe that this is the case now. When RV first got on campus yes, now, no.

My sources tell me that there has been somewhat of a new surge in requested information by those called upon by the advancement center about future improvements with athletics being made.

It's tough right now to be Mean Green, but exciting just the same.

Rick

Ha ha ha! Look at the date and the higlighted bold statement.

Now why in hell was it that during the week of October 20th FIREFIGHTNRICK was so damn excited about Mean Green Football?

MMMMMMMMM?

Rick

Is there some new point we are supposed to be reading with a thread that is almost a half year old? :blink:

I think we are closer to a new stadium now than we were back then; like, uh, a half year closer? :rolleyes:

Seriously, I believe the Denton County family that put the $1.5 million down for this new stadium project is just the beginning of more good news to come.

But to be even more serious about Rick V's role in all this? We are only asking our AD to raise more money than is in the UNT System's entire endowment ($50 million?) so I think we should probably cut him some slack over much of this on that fact alone?

UNT has to have a new football stadium since TxDOT told us they needed the land where our present stadium is located. UNT will build a new football stadium sooner than I think most are now assuming--just one helluva' gut feeling on that.

And hellsbells, I've evevn put ol' stebo in the family will since he and I got into a mild verbal rhubarb over subjects that involved moronic themes.

Anymore year old threads we need to be posting, folks? :huh:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen