BCS Questions

emmitt01

1)Might Texas weasel their way into the title game again? Ohio State and Michigan (both undefeated) have to play eachother later in the season. Auburn still has to play the remainder of an SEC schedule (far harder than a Big XII one this season). USC looked vulnerable yesterday. West Virginia and Louisville have to play eachother so that's a loss on the record of one of them. Can Notre Dame keep winning? I think it's possible Texas might beat an exposed Tech team, A&M, Ok State and whomever the North sends to the title game to sneak into the title game...just maybe? Might we hear Mack Brown crying for the media to "take control of college football" again?

2)What if Rutgers continues to win? Could we see an undefeated Scarlett Knights team shut out of the title game in favor of a one loss team?

1)Might Texas weasel their way into the title game again?  Ohio State and Michigan (both undefeated) have to play eachother later in the season.  Auburn still has to play the remainder of an SEC schedule (far harder than a Big XII one this season).  USC looked vulnerable yesterday.  West Virginia and Louisville have to play eachother so that's a loss on the record of one of them.  Can Notre Dame keep winning?  I think it's possible Texas might beat an exposed Tech team, A&M, Ok State and whomever the North sends to the title game to sneak into the title game...just maybe?  Might we hear Mack Brown crying for the media to "take control of college football" again? 

2)What if Rutgers continues to win?  Could we see an undefeated Scarlett Knights team shut out of the title game in favor of a one loss team?

Yep, you got it Rutgers vs. Boise for the national championship.

2)What if Rutgers continues to win?  Could we see an undefeated Scarlett Knights team shut out of the title game in favor of a one loss team?

Dont forget about 6-0 #18 Boise State. Very favorable remaining WAC schedule left. 6 Remaining games w/ opp. records of 15-21.

Edited by NT03

Dont forget about 6-0 #18 Boise State. Very favorable remaining WAC schedule left. 6 Remaining games w/ opp. records of 15-21.

Yeah, but Rutgers is in a BCS conference, which means the yelling will be far louder than from BSU which just hopes to make a BCS game of any sort.

Yeah, but Rutgers is in a BCS conference, which means the yelling will be far louder than from BSU which just hopes to make a BCS game of any sort.

Rutgers will lose to the eventual National Champion , West Virgina. Boise , I think , will only crack the top 10 if they win out and win a bowl game. SOC , is too weak I believe to make a BSC game. But , If I were them Id bitch like crazy if they finished 12-0.

Boise only needs a top 12 finish to GUARANTEE a BCS bowl slot. The can get in with as low as a #16 spot if there is not a BCS team champion ranked higher then them to replace them (i.e. Pittsburgh a couple of years ago).

As for the National Championship, Boise has almost no shot at that.

But that doesn't answer the question guys.  Will they shut Rutgers out if they are Big East champ and undefeated?

1) Only if USC and either Ohio St. or Michigan also do undefeated. IF Rutgers wins out it, would have to include wins over #4 West Virgina & # Louisville, there is NO way a 1-loss team could be ranked ahead of them.

2) But it is very possible that USC , the winner of Ohio St./Michigan and a Big East school will go undeafted. Between Rutgers,WVU & Louisville it's very likely that 1 will be undeafted. Which creates a whole other debate. Personally I hope it happens. Not having a playoff is the biggest joke in sports.

Edited by NT03

Rutgers I suppose could win out, but they definately have the hardest part of their schedule left.  I think all teams will have at least one loss except maybe one so who knows.

I think NT has a better chance of winning out than Rutgers....SCARY!!! But,

If I had a vote between Rutgers winning out , NT winning out or Hell freezing over ... Lets just say id be puttin on my snow boots!

If UT wins out, they will play in the BCS championship game if tOSU is 12-0, and there are no other undefeated teams.

Keep an eye on USC. There's no reason they can't be right back in it if they win out, and USCPN would love to jock them for a championship game even at 11-1.

TV would love either tOSU/USC, or tOSU/UT.

I chuckle every time I hear the "Mack whining" BS. He was absolutely right, and proved it on the field. So did Cal.

Keep an eye on USC. There's no reason they can't be right back in it if they win out, and USCPN would love to jock them for a championship game even at 11-1.

I chuckle every time I hear the "Mack whining" BS. He was absolutely right, and proved it on the field. So did Cal.

If UT & ND both go on w/ 1 loss it will be interesting to see how that plays out because that would mean the Irish will have beaten USC in the last game of the season. UT could be hurt by SOC since they seem to be the only real team in the BIG XII ...jury is still out on the Huskers.

If UT & ND both go on w/ 1 loss  it will be interesting to see how that plays out because that would mean the Irish will have beaten USC in the last game of the season.  UT could be hurt by SOC since they seem to be the only real team in the BIG XII ...jury is still out on the Huskers.

I totally agree with you re: the Irish, and almost posted that. Definitely. I think this week will be one of 2 remaining "telling" games for the Horns, with aTm the other. As long as tOSU, OU, Nebraska, and aTm keep winning, UT's SOS will probably be enough to get them in--provided they can take care of their business. They didn't look overpowering against the Bears.

If UT wins out, they will play in the BCS championship game if tOSU is 12-0, and there are no other undefeated teams.

Keep an eye on USC.  There's no reason they can't be right back in it if they win out, and USCPN would love to jock them for a championship game even at 11-1.

I chuckle every time I hear the "Mack whining" BS.  He was absolutely right, and proved it on the field.  So did Cal.

How can you be so sure? Auburn, Florida, and Notre Dame are ranked ahead of Texas right now and are not undefeated. What exactly about the remainder of the soft Big XII schedule makes you think they'll leapfrog these teams if one or more of them continue to win? Let us not forget that Notre Dame's SOS would be far and away better than UT's and Auburn and Florida play in the SEC. The Big XII is no SEC. Longhorn daydreaming perhaps?

Edited by emmitt01

I Think the SEC is just so damn tough. Its hard to say any team can win out and be confident about it. Let's not forgot about the Razorbacks too .. If they win out and finish w/ 1 loss , their resume , along with any other SEC 1 loss team would be better than the Horns. I just feel its easier to say the Horns can win out based on the big XII than to say the same about any SEC team winning out.

How funny would it be if Auburn wins out and finishes #2 in BCS , when they went undefeated 2 yrs ago and couldnt even get in !!!

Edited by NT03

Let us not forget that Notre Dame's SOS would be far and away better than UT's and Auburn and Florida play in the SEC.  The Big XII is no SEC.  Longhorn daydreaming perhaps?

Florida definitely has one of the toughest schedules of the top 10 teams, and if they can win out I think they have to be considered for the championship game.

How can you be so sure?  The Big XII is no SEC.  Longhorn daydreaming perhaps?

Talking out my @ss, just like everyone else here. tongue.gif

Who knows what will happen. Notre Dame and the SEC teams have as good a shot as anyone. I think that USC will beat Notre Dame. Heck, Michigan might beat them. (EDIT: Note to self--Michigan DID beat them.)

It's still way too early to tell what will happen. The Horns will have a good shot if they can win the rest of their games. Personally, I think they may struggle against NU this week, and I liked what aTm had in their bag this week against Mizzou. Any time you play w/a QB that inexperienced, you are ripe to have a down/disaster game.

Big 12 is down this year, no doubt, but that's said almost every year, and almost every year when bowl season rolls around, the B12 quietly wins the majority of their bowl games--and usually over teams ranked higher than them.

Edited by LongJim

unfortunately, i think that USC is our last chance of having a "good" national title game. they have to win out. West Virgina and Louisville are ranked 5&6 respectively, right now. Ahead of them you have OSU, USC, Michigan and Auburn. OSU and Michigan will elimate each other. West Virgina and Louisville are not ahead of Auburn right now because of their SOC. HOWEVER, Louisville and West Virgina still play each other. #5 vs #6.... that will strengthen their schedule and whoever wins that game will leap Auburn. The way I see it.... the only way for a 1 loss team to have a chance is 1) both WV and Louisville have 1 loss at the end of the year (doubtful) 2. the loser of the WV/Louisville game also loses one more game and causes the other teams strength of schedule to drop. If either WV/Louisville ends the year undefeated and the other team only has 1 loss(to each other).... I think that there is no way that they stay out of the national championship game IF USC loses a game