WHAT AN INCREDIBLE GAME?

IslandEagle

And I love that yall were running side to side, yall are the ones I like and will be like.

If their were only 5,000 students that means there were 10,000 on home side wink.gif

My post was more for the fans who can never be happy.

1-4

56-7 loss

28-3 loss

33-13 loss

35-0 loss to a team who has never beat us

usually =

empty stadium

I saw a players grandma in a wheelchair on the field after the game. Thats how proud we were of the team.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Section H, I saw a lot of crappy same ole same ole but I did see something new. 2 goal line stands that were just great. No one has mentioned the one at the end of the half where they went for it on 4 down and we held. If they took the 3 points there would have been no OT. Also the OT goal line stand was just great.

The defence also striped the ball and recovered it on the first OT period and we should have won the game right there but we went backwards and missed a long kick. One of our shortest kicks slammed into the goal post with a ring of OMG I cant believe he missed it. In the 6th OT FIU only needed to make a 30 something yarder but a lineman got a hand on it and the game went on.

The quality of football was off but the excitment level in the stadium was great. I loved the students pooring onto the field after the game.

I always have said that the football program will catch on if you win and put on entertaining games. Last night was entertainment.

JUST ENJOY THIS WIN.  I had an incredible time listening to it online.  I couldn't be prouder of the team.  I'm sporting something NT to work tommorrow and gonna talk up my squad to co-workers.

So there haters.  wink.gif

Different strokes, I guess. I listened on the radio and thought it was the most excruciatingly inept college football game I've ever heard in my life. Kudos to the players for gutting out a win, but if you can't mount a 25-yard touchdown drive in six overtimes, your offense is hopeless. It's a joke.

Different strokes, I guess. I listened on the radio and thought it was the most excruciatingly inept college football game I've ever heard in my life. Kudos to the players for gutting out a win, but if you can't mount a 25-yard touchdown drive in six overtimes, your offense is hopeless. It's a joke.

There seems to be a pattern in the posts. Those who were at the game thought it was ugly, but exciting. People who saw the OTs loved the emotional roller coaster and were happy to win no matter how we won.

Those who listened on the radio or just read about it, thought it was terrible and are embarrassed and angry.

I was there, had fun with the overtimes but was generally disgusted with the offense till the 4th quarter. As Darrell Royal said, "Better ol' Ugly than ol' nothin'."

There seems to be a pattern in the posts. Those who were at the game thought it was ugly, but exciting. People who saw the OTs loved the emotional roller coaster and were happy to win no matter how we won.

Those who listened on the radio or just read about it, thought it was terrible and are embarrassed and angry.

I was there, had fun with the overtimes but was generally disgusted with the offense till the 4th quarter. As Darrell Royal said, "Better ol' Ugly than ol' nothin'."

Speaking of offense, I find it interesting that everyone is very quiet about the our pick for quarterback, President Woody Wilson. He didn't play very good, AGAIN. Just when we start getting momentum on offense, he throws an interception (ugly ones too), misses wide open receivers, or engages in some other debacle or poorly executed play. I think Woody will become a great QB for us over the next season. Truth is, though, he was a large part of why our offense struggled so much last night. This really sucks too b/c I thought we found our QB. Now I don't know if he should start next game. Moreover, I fear continued QB rotations.

Edited by chrisfisher

Those who were at the game had more beer than I did. I imagine that helped.

It's hard to be excited about this win when we all feel the team should never have taken 7OT periods, much less one. The one play that really let me know how DD's mindset is was the FG try on 2nd and 8. There's no reason for a FG attempt on 2nd and 8.

When you only have 5 plays to chose from, and none of them work, I guess you just say to yourself "why not just kick it and see!" This team is so inept that they might just fumble the snap trying to kick it.

Alums alway say that the students do not support the teams.

3 home games the student sections are packed and loud.

But where are the Alums

When you have been supporting the Mean Green for 20+ years with attendence and money, then I will consider your points.

Yip, its a Joke. Sing it with me....M I C, K E Y, M O U S E!

Did I hear correct -

In 7 OT's we had less then 30 yards of total "O"?

Thanks,

Yip, you are correct. Something to be proud of isn't? I was impressed. My brother called me from El Paso and said "Let me get this straight, they just reported on the TV that UNT is in the 5th OT, and they STILL have not scored a TD?" Yip, that's correct. What more can we ask for that in 7 OT's we only score 3 field goals. Sign that Coach to another 2 year extention.

I woke up this morning, and still laugh at the idea that people stormed the field....our standards are sooooooooooooo incredibly low.

Win or lose fans have always gone down onto the field to talk to players and let the kids play catch. Last night was simply a little more exciting of a group doing this because they finally got to see our guys pull out the win during a historical game. There were a lot of new students who saw this game, who along with the SMU win are now solidified as future Mean Green Nation members. Nothing but positives can be taken from that fact.

Know that no one in the stands were happy at all with the play calling throughout the game. Does that mean we are not suppose to be excited for the defense, or for the guys on O who run the plays that are called and some how find a way to have success at it? No.

Quinn pulling in a 4th down and goal pass off of the defenders' back to put us up? Incredible. Two amazing goal line stands by an exhausted defense that again seemed to be left on the field all night long. Amazing.

Some folks need to get over the dissapointment that you didn't get to see the game in person and move on with it.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Some folks need to get over the dissapointment that you didn't get to see the game in person and move on with it.

Rick

NOW I understand the real reason behind the bitter posts!

Let me echo the sentiment - anyone who sat through the entire game knows the rush of emotion that follows such a long, excrutiating night. The rush onto the field by many was a sort of catharsis for surviving the ordeal and coming out on the right side of the score.

My sons and I went onto the field to congratulate the players like after every game - but there was definitely an extra spring in the step of everyone there.

I woke up this morning, and still laugh at the idea that people stormed the field....our standards are sooooooooooooo incredibly low.

You say this so boldly from a forum board. I think you'd be speaking a totally different story had you been on the field with the Mean Green Players after the game. The players would have probably opened a fresh can of whoop ass on you in front of god and everyone if you told them that was a crappy win, how bad they played, and how our standards are so low. They played their hearts out and the fans saw that and were overcome with excitement after the win.

I will give you this, though I still reject your "fans standards are so low" argument... UNT fans are akin to a starving dog... throw the dog a bone and it tastes like steak.

I want improvements just as bad as you do... but I don't think bashing fans for supporting the team and getting a little silly after a game is a way to go about this.

You say this so boldly from a forum board. I think you'd be speaking a totally different story had you been on the field with the Mean Green Players after the game. The players would have probably opened a fresh can of whoop ass on you in front of god and everyone if you told them that was a crappy win, how bad they played, and how our standards are so low.  They played their hearts out and the fans saw that and were overcome with excitement after the win.

I love how people play the players' self-esteem card any time they don't accept some criticism of UNT football. If players were as sensitive as people on GoMeanGreen make them sound, they'd never suit up.

Thirty yards of offense and no touchdowns in six overtimes is a disaster of epic proportions -- a black eye to this program I'd compare to the national ridicule that accompanied our trip to the New Orleans Bowl with a losing record.

As I said I'm proud the players gutted it out, and I don't hang the ineptness of the offense on them. This one belongs to Coach Dickey. If this is the kind of offense we get for the rest of Sun Belt play, I'm joining the fans calling for his head.

I love how people play the players' self-esteem card any time they don't accept some criticism of UNT football. If players were as sensitive as people on GoMeanGreen make them sound, they'd never suit up.

Thirty yards of offense and no touchdowns in six overtimes is a disaster of epic proportions -- a black eye to this program I'd compare to the national ridicule that accompanied our trip to the New Orleans Bowl with a losing record.

As I said I'm proud the players gutted it out, and I don't hang the ineptness of the offense on them. This one belongs to Coach Dickey. If this is the kind of offense we get for the rest of Sun Belt play, I'm joining the fans calling for his head.

You can't criticize the coaches! Are you communist?

We won. We WON.

Your. Team. Just. Won.

We won. We WON.

Your. Team. Just. Won.

Is. that. all. you. can. say.?

Every. post. has. that.

Yes. we. won. ,. but. there. are. things. to. be. concerned. about.

If. you. must. continue. saying. the. same. thing. ,. can. you. try. using. some. other. punctuation. marks.? Try. commas. in. your. next. post.

tongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

QUOTE(GoMeanGreen1999 @ Oct 7 2006, 11:18 PM)

Please tell me you are kidding me that people ACTUALLY stormed the field. IF so, that is why so many people across the country think the Sun Belt is a joke.

You who were not there because you could not or those who just chose not missed an exciting historical moment in NT history. You will never be able to understand the excitement from the fourth quarter to the end. Every play was a game breaker.

The defense was very good. The OL was not. I would tend to play the youngsters. Theywill make mistakes too, but the experience will help them next year.

Some doubted DD in the 4th quarter when we kicked a field goal rather than try for a TD and 2 to tie. He apparently had more faith in the offense than did the fans.

I stayed to the end despite facing a 75 mile trip home and needing to be at church early on Sunday morning. The most heartening things I took from the game was Meager's leadership, the excitement and emotion of the players, and the respectul way theyconducted themselves in the post game interviews with George. How many players on other teams know the word "sir"?

Is. that. all. you. can. say.? 

Every. post. has. that.

Yes. we. won. ,. but. there. are. things. to. be. concerned. about.

If. you. must. continue. saying. the. same. thing. ,. can. you. try. using. some. other. punctuation. marks.?  Try. commas. in. your. next. post.

tongue.gif  tongue.gif  tongue.gif  tongue.gif  tongue.gif  tongue.gif  tongue.gif  tongue.gif  tongue.gif  tongue.gif  tongue.gif  tongue.gif

Pretty sure that was sarcasm.

No one has said that there aren't valid criticisms or that all is well and there is nothing to be concerned about. I think the only reason any of us emphasized the win in that way was in response to the fans who were calling the team's performance "pathetic" and a "disgrace" in the immediate moments following a victory that none of them expected. I have no problem with objective criticism of the team's performance. Lord knows there is plenty to look at. I think most of us had an issue with the reaction of a select few who reacted to our victory like it was a blowout loss - despite the fact the team had admittedly exceeded their own expectations by a large margin. It's a very vocal minority who didn't enjoy the win last night - lord knows I'll take wins any way we can get 'em these days. Doesn't mean there aren't fair criticisms, doesn't mean we all don't want better. Does mean it was a helluva performance by a lot of those players out there -- the whole D with stop after stop at the goalline without any legs to stand on, JQ, JT's workload - darn right it does. I just don't feel as if the win and those performances need to be minimized and called a pathetic disgrace just because you want to see a change at HC. They're independent of one another. I mean, if you want us to lose every game so the change is assured, just say so... at least the honesty would be respected. I just want to know what these posters WANT - what would make you happy? Nothing has yet, big wins, big losses, close wins.. nothing.

It doesn't matter who the coach is, what the situation is, what I want for the program. A NT win, anytime, anywhere, anyhow - is something I'll enjoy.

No one has said that there aren't valid criticisms or that all is well and there is nothing to be concerned about. I think the only reason any of us emphasized the win in that way was in response to the fans who were calling the team's performance "pathetic" and a "disgrace" in the immediate moments following a victory that none of them expected. I have no problem with objective criticism of the team's performance. Lord knows there is plenty to look at. I think most of us had an issue with the reaction of a select few who reacted to our victory like it was a blowout loss - despite the fact the team had admittedly exceeded their own expectations by a large margin. It's a very vocal minority who didn't enjoy the win last night - lord knows I'll take wins any way we can get 'em these days. Doesn't mean there aren't fair criticisms, doesn't mean we all don't want better. Does mean it was a helluva performance by a lot of those players out there -- the whole D with stop after stop at the goalline without any legs to stand on, JQ, JT's workload - darn right it does. I just don't feel as if the win and those performances need to be minimized and called a pathetic disgrace just because you want to see a change at HC. They're independent of one another. I mean, if you want us to lose every game so the change is assured, just say so... at least the honesty would be respected. I just want to know what these posters WANT - what would make you happy? Nothing has yet, big wins, big losses, close wins.. nothing.

It doesn't matter who the coach is, what the situation is, what I want for the program. A NT win, anytime, anywhere, anyhow - is something I'll enjoy.

CaribbeanGreen... you nailed it! I was going to post something similar and couldn't say it better.

I am not saying that the game was a "disgrace" or "pathetic" because we need a change at HC. Look at the stats of that game.....Look at the score. Look at how poor this Offense looks. 26 yards in the span of 7 OT's and less than 200 total yards for the game, due to 96 yards on penalties in the 6th game of the season, at home of all place is PATHETIC.

Storming the field after seven OT's is warranted if for nothing other than the relief that it is over. Nothing. NOTHING about that makes UNT a laughingstock.

And while I've mocked UNT's offense nearly weekly in my around the league writings this year for Beltboard, I promise you that there were some 18-22 year-old students in the stands who will be tailgating outside your 15 or so year old stadium in 20 years passing the friendship bottle and laughing and joking about how they were there the night UNT played 7 OT's. Their memories may not yet have converted into a stellar game but I promise you they will remember it fondly.

I don't care if you've given a million dollars to NT. If you weren't at the game last night you let your school down.

REAL fans sit through the tough times and still cheer on our brothers on that field.

Was it an ugly game? Yes. Is it a little embarissing to be on ESPN with those numbers? Yes. Do changes need to be made. Hell Yes.

But I stormed the field simply because I was proud of my team for winning the game. I was horse, dehydrated and tired, but that was one of the best moments I've had at North Texas.

That game did wonders for our school in ways you can't fathom. Students don't care about the ugly game, we want the win and to have some fun, and last night we got it. Our D stopped them over and over and we cheered them on. FIU players were egging on the student section in OT and we stayed to scream right back. The students were cheering and standing through every OT.

You can bad mouth all you want and tell students they're idiots for storming the field. But our student section was there jumping and screaming right beside the players on the field. Then we all stood togther singing our Alma Mater with the little voice we had left. That is being a fan. That is school spirit. That is loving your team through the good times and the bad. That was fun as hell.

Where were you?

I had plenty of reasons not to be at the game, but I have made a commitment to support my team at every home game and I bring all my buddys. I went to the game and gave my all. My team didn't disappoint at the end of the night. The tower is green and our fans cheered through one hell of a game.

GO MEAN GREEN!

I am not saying that the game was a "disgrace" or "pathetic" because we need a change at HC.  Look at the stats of that game.....Look at the score.  Look at how poor this Offense looks.  26 yards in the span of 7 OT's and less than 200 total yards for the game, due to 96 yards on penalties in the 6th game of the season, at home of all place is PATHETIC.

And I understand that. I understand that you are anxious for a change. What I am trying to determine is what exactly would allow you to enjoy your "fandom" of the Mean Green this season? When every post/response to every game, every move, and every play is the same no-other-way-to-look-at-it unbridled negativity -- which is your right, of course -- I just wonder what would be satisfying to you. You predicted a 24-6 loss to FIU (which is just about what all of us would have guessed based on previous performance from both teams), and as ugly as it may have been, NT did enough to not only play it closer than you expected, but to gut out a win. That's a WHOLE lot more than you (or most of us, really) expected given the pre-game predictions on this very board.

You site the stats/numbers as why you deemed this game pathetic and a disgrace. Is that your measuring stick? Im genuinely asking here - if we had a better offensive performance, threw up 350+ yards of offense, moved the ball effectively, but lost by 3 scores because of a few bad bounces, etc., whatever -- would you not have been this sour and negative about everything? What would you have said if we had broken a couple of close plays big and won by 2 or 3 scores? Would you have been happy, or looked for reasons to complain? Does any part of you feel a little excitement or joy when something goes wrong for NT? I'm just trying to understand.

You have every right to feel how you do - I don't think you'll find many (other than a few with very green-tinted glasses) who claim all is well or this team is poised for a title run or even that DD and staff have earned the right to stay beyond the season. I'm just trying to see where you're coming from here.... I know you're getting a lot of grief for not going to the games, and though sure, it would be great if we ALL could make every game, I'm sure you have your obligations and reasons - hell, I'll take any NT fan we can GET, no matter how in absentia, negative, or otherwise. We need every one of 'em. So I don't think any less of your fandom for that -- I just wonder what it is you're looking for, because this is just an unprecedent string of negative posts, about every little detail.

I may sit here and look at this program and where we're headed and where we are and think to myself that a change is needed. That we had the right coach for the right time a few years ago, but we need a fresh voice to get to that next level. I may think that the best thing we can hope for is change at the end of the season. But I guess I just can't turn off that deep rooted love for this school and this team that revels in every success and every win -- and no matter what my feelings are about what should happen at year's end -- I want to win all of these.

look some of this is pathetic. i am happy that we won. like i said earlier, i would NEVER root against UNT. ever. it's great to be happy that we won but excited? fans "rushing the field"? give me a break. some of you come on here and throw things like that around when we just took 7 OVERTIMES to beat an 0-5 team and you really expect people not to think that you have low expectations? yeah there may have been some people on this board expecting us to lose to an 0-5 team too. that's also pathetic. have some honest to god expectations of this program. texas should have whooped our a**, they did. we should have beat SMU, we did and WE EXCEEDED expectations by beating them as bad as we did... that was a great win for us. we should have made it a game with Tulsa, they killed us. we should played it close against Akron, we didn't. Middle TN should have been anybodies game. they beat us by 35 and again for the 3rd game in a row we played far below expectations. we should have beat FIU and we did but we shouldn't have taken 7 overtimes. we played below expectations for the 4th time in 4 games. that's all there is to it. be happy with the win, hope that it gains us some momentum and let's hope we go on a roll. however it was nothing to be excited about or "rush the field" about, that's just a joke....