Big $$ needed for a Head Coach?

El Paso Eagle

Guest GrayEagleOne

I think that is similar to what I would envision our being able to offer. However, I hope that we don't include remaining in 1-A as an incentive. But, bonuses for OOC wins (especially) and conference championships should be musts. I also like incentives for increased giving and increased attendance.

Even at that "nominal' figure for a 1-A coach, there's always a few surprises as to who applies.

I think that is similar to what I would envision our being able to offer. However, I hope that we don't include remaining in 1-A as an incentive. But, bonuses for OOC wins (especially) and conference championships should be musts. I also like incentives for increased giving and increased attendance.

Even at that "nominal' figure for a 1-A coach, there's always a few surprises as to who applies.

That sounds similar to DD's current contract. I don't remember them all, but I do remember seeign incentive bonuses for each week that UNT is ranked in the top 25.

So we're going to give a new coach $100K more than Dickey is making Plus incentives.

I'm all for it if wins follow. My question is how many more on this board are going to increase their donations to the Mean Green Club and those who are members need to join at $1,000 per year and turn down all of the incentives, so it will save the department money.

Until EVERYONE on this board and a few thousand more are Mean Green Club members then NT is going to have a coach like Darrel Dickey, who I think is a good coach at the wrong school. The athletic department needs leadership that can raise money so NT can get the coaching it deserves, in all sports.

Edited by GreenBat

Until EVERYONE on this board and a few thousand more are Mean Green Club members then NT is going to have a coach like Darrel Dickey, who I think is a good coach at the wrong school. The athletic department needs leadership that can raise money so NT can get the coaching it deserves, in all sports.

RV is already on the right path with the hiring/extension of Hedlund, and the hiring of Lama, although the previous coach left the cupboard bare and he did not have time to recruit.

Now if we can get rid of the slackers: DD, JJ, Slinker, and Headrick and hire so coaches who love being on the hot seat and want to win every week and show it ever game!!.

What would you guys do different if you were in his shoes and wanted to turn things around? It is no secret that we had poor quarterback play last year but if you look in the bios, we have a ton of former HS QBs in the roster. We've got what could be one the the best QB's UNT has ever seen in Woody Wilson. The tools are all in place, we just need the team to grow together like the Scott Hall/Patrick Cobbs teams did. I believe once this team meshes we'll set the conference on fire again.

What would you guys do different if you were in his shoes and wanted to turn things around? It is no secret that we had poor quarterback play last year but if you look in the bios, we have a ton of former HS QBs in the roster. We've got what could be one the the best QB's UNT has ever seen in Woody Wilson. The tools are all in place, we just need the team to grow together like the Scott Hall/Patrick Cobbs teams did. I believe once this team meshes we'll set the conference on fire again.

I would do what he tried last off-season and go after a stud O-lineman to anchor the line. And pray that he odesn't flop like Stanley.

I would also take the lineman that were recruited, and commit them to positions (be it d-line or o-line). I have always contended that flip-flopping lines has hindered the development of Alexander, Brown and Venegas.

One of the things I would love to see Dickey do is to take a chance and install a new, wide open offense. We keep hearing about our struggles to recruit yet we try to run a scheme where for the most part we line up and play smash-mouth ball. This might have had a lot of success in the early days of the Belt (we won’t even go into the OOC results) but as the teams in the Belt have improved (or as we have dropped) the success has dropped. It’s still to be seen if this will bring success again. Maybe Dickeys right and all of the coaches installing the spread offenses are wrong?????

PS – Before anyone comes back with “we are throwing the ball more” – is that a result of what we (DD) wants to do OR the fact that we have got behind in games so quickly?

What would you guys do different if you were in his shoes and wanted to turn things around?  It is no secret that we had poor quarterback play last year but if you look in the bios, we have a ton of former HS QBs in the roster. We've got what could be one the the best QB's UNT has ever seen in Woody Wilson. The tools are all in place, we just need the team to grow together like the Scott Hall/Patrick Cobbs teams did. I believe once this team meshes we'll set the conference on fire again.

So far, the only thing that Mr. Wilson has over the great QB's in North Texas history is foot speed. Otherwise, he's got a looooong list to pass up. Including..

Mitch Maher (most total yards 9000)

Scott Davis-8717 total yards in three years

Steve Ramsey- 6568 total yards in three years

Scott Hall- 6440 total yards, in four years

Ken Washington, 4314 total yards in four years

Jordan Case, 2816 total yards, but all-time most accurate passer (.616)

We only have one other JUCO QB in our history that ever did anything. That was Vidal Carlin (1965-66) who had 3046 yrds of total offense in his two years at NT.

When Mr. Wilson passes him, then we can start talking about him being the best we've ever seen.

I'm all for paying the HC more, but hasn't our biggest problem been the inability to hold onto key assistant coaches?

Seems to me that we lost several good oline coaches 2-3 years in a row to bigger programs--or more $$.

I would like to see UNT identify some quality assistants, Bliel, DeLoach, forgot our Dline coach's name,....but you get the idea....and work more on keeping these guys and finding guys who just like this area and have contacts in the region. HC's seem to come and go at all schools and it seems like it's more rare to find a career HC at a school than an assistant who stays in one place for 10+ years. Isn't this also a good way to build, then maintain good recruiting pipelines?

I bet also that you'd see DD complaining less about the 'difficult situation' here if he wasn't turning over 1/3 of his staff every season.

Am I completely off-base here?