Congrats RV & DD

meanrob

For a game that some of us having been waiting 15 years to happen, you've managed to make this just another ordinary week of NT football. Never mind that we don't like our opponent this week. Never mind that they've not wanted to play us since 1993. Never mind that college football is about passion, rivalries, and disappointments. This week is just another week.

DD and Bennett are buds, god forbid anybody says anything that might be taken the wrong way. This game may not make the team's season but it sure would make a lot of the fan's season. But instead the passion is replaced by canned comments and "we gotta execute" insightful coachspeak.

God forbid if we tried to sell this game as us against them. Even though that's exactly what it is.

Do you guys even remember the whole "safeway parking lot" comment that a lot of us agreed with (even if Simon was looney, every blue moon he made sense)?

But no, let's not say anything upsetting about our opponent. Let's not fire up the fan base or good gosh, actually fire up the team. I guess we'll just have to take for granted that your pre-game speech will be a doozy. Unlike your one to us, oh wait, there wasn't one for the fans.

SMU is coming to town.....could've fooled me.

Edited by meanrob

Please don't mistake canned media statements for a lack of passion. I invite you to go attend a practice this week (perhaps tomorrow) and see if there's a lack of passion off the camera. The practice I was at yesterday might have been in half pads, but there was plenty of intensity from players and coaches alike. Coach Dickey stressed the importance of this week's game and showing up hungry and intense on Saturday for about 15 minutes straight after practice. Coach Bliel kept yelling at his players to "Prepare for SMU."

Everyone knows how big this game is. Just because the coach isn't lobbing up bulletin board material during the week doesn't mean he isn't working hard preparing for the game.

Guest JohnDenver

I think meanrob is talking about getting the outsiders motivated for this game... Make people show up on Saturday when they hear about the intense feelings between the two schools.

Outsiders shouldn't need to be motivated.  Do you think anyone needs to motivate an Aggie as to why the Friday after Thanksgiving is important?

Don't get me wrong. I get motivated when I hear the Mean Green are going to the bathroom. Hell, I'm bringing out surround sound speakers to tailgate this week, but we're not at aTm/UT level...yet! biggrin.gif

Rob is right on this one I think. This should be billed as blue collar vs. white collar, or Benzes vs. Fords, or Snobby rich kids who need their asses kicked vs. those who will do it with pleasure or...you get the picture.

For a game that some of us having been waiting 15 years to happen, you've managed to make this just another ordinary week of NT football. Never mind that we don't like our opponent this week. Never mind that they've not wanted to play us since 1993. Never mind that college football is about passion, rivalries, and disappointments. This week is just another week.

DD and Bennett are buds, god forbid anybody says anything that might be taken the wrong way. This game may not make the team's season but it sure would make a lot of the fan's season. But instead the passion is replaced by canned comments and "we gotta execute" insightful coachspeak.

God forbid if we tried to sell this game as us against them. Even though that's exactly what it is.

Do you guys even remember the whole "safeway parking lot" comment that a lot of us agreed with (even if Simon was looney, every blue moon he made sense)?

But no, let's not say anything upsetting about our opponent. Let's not fire up the fan base or good gosh, actually fire up the team. I guess we'll just have to take for granted that your pre-game speech will be a doozy. Unlike your one to us, oh wait, there wasn't one for the fans.

I'm new to the board but I agree with what you are saying. This week on campus it has been dead amongst the students. People I have talked to arent even coming to the game cause they would rather stay home and watch the Texas-tOSU game. As good as Villareal has been for this school he too needs to take some responsibility for not putting out more interest in this game. If I am not mistaken when OU beats Texas I believe there have been some mondays where class was canceled. Getting our program to where we desire it to be starts with weeks like this, I have been looking forward to this game for a long long time and cant wait to watch our boys play their hearts out.

I don't know what is happening on campus. It seems to me that students whine about conference affiliation etc. Well, they need to know who is largely to blame for that situation (i.e. smu). The NT Daily should have guest editorials from alums and should push this game. I have a friend who is a UT fan who is going to the UT vs. OSU game and he wishes that the games were not at the same time or he would be at Fouts. Every SMU fan I know is going, and one told me she is bringing 25 people with her. Any student who would stay home and watch UT vs. OSU should be put in stocks at the Union Building and publicly humiliated.

This is the closest we'll ever have to a real rivalry game. I can't believe there is not more promotion of it on campus and to alums. Where's the Marketing Dept? dry.gif