So North Texas DOES recruit Denton players

TicketJohn

For all those who complain that we rarely go after DISD players:

Walter Coleman Story

“If it’s other players doing stuff that’s good and they got me behind their back, I tell them ‘Let’s go,’” Coleman said, who is being recruited by Arizona, SMU and UNT among others. “But if I have no catches, no yards, anything like that, then I’ll be fine as long as I’m just motivating everybody and doing my assignments.”

For all those who complain that we rarely go after DISD players:

Walter Coleman Story

“If it’s other players doing stuff that’s good and they got me behind their back, I tell them ‘Let’s go,’” Coleman said, who is being recruited by Arizona, SMU and UNT among others. “But if I have no catches, no yards, anything like that, then I’ll be fine as long as I’m just motivating everybody and doing my assignments.”

Lets see NT has Raifu Durudoge (sp) Jr. from Denton HS, Isiah Smith Soph from Denton, Cass Starks Sr. from Denton, They missed out last year or the year before on LB Anthony Sowe who went with SMU. I may be wrong on Sowe but I do know we tried to recruit one of 3 LB and missed out.

Seems like I remember Phillip Armour (sp) who played in the pros and NT for 4 years was from Denton and a couple of years ago NT signed someone named Moss a lineman who never played because of grades.

I don't believe NT doesn't recruit Denton, I believe the Denton players want to get away from home or play for more highly rated FB schools or both. The most highly rated Denton players want to go to the more highly rated FB schools which is what NT faces all over the State of Texas and elsewhere.

Anyone else remember any Denton HS players who went to NT.

Guest GrayEagleOne

It's true that very few of the Denton players have ever been signed by North Texas.

The highest rated player from Denton was likely Bill Carrico and he transferred in from UT. The best known was Billy Ryan, mostly because they named a high school after him.

A few have been coaches' sons....Shields Mitchell, Jason Mills, and the youngest Fry (Kelly?). Durodoye and Carrico were both sons of North Texas professors.

What few players from Denton that we've had in the last 50 years have been mostly walkons. There hasn't been a tremendous amount of talent in football. For years, Denton was noted for its basketball.

Dupree Jones... didn't last long either.. i think he was kicked off. 

If moss would have panned out.. he would have been something special.  He was better than his brother who is playing at Florida State right now.

John Lott was an offensive lineman in the mid 80's and the son of a professor. Moss plays for Florida.

Dupree Jones... didn't last long either.. i think he was kicked off.  

If moss would have panned out.. he would have been something special.  He was better than his brother who is playing at Florida State right now.

I was on the sidelines while both the moss boys played, and I have to say Jarvis was a much better player than Chris was. Also Jarvis plays at Florida not FSU.

Edited by Eagle since birth

I was on the sidelines while both the moss boys played, and I have to say Jarvis was a much better player than Chris was.  Also Jarvis plays at Florida not FSU.

And Jarvis along with Brian Smith who is at Missouri will both be in the NFL within 2 years. They both may very well make first string All-American this year. Jarvis is expected to be one of the top at his position this year, along with Smith who is already the all time sack leader at Missou and he will be a senior this year.