Wishful Thinking

MeanGreen61

Wishful thinking sleep.gif

user posted image

Very wishful thinking. It's the missing Keystone of the whole program. I hope for an update about this Saturday (sure). Are we even actively seeking any donors to this project? I've heard nothing about it in well over a year. sad.gif

New Stadium = CUSA

Very wishful thinking.  It's the missing Keystone of the whole program.  I hope for an update about this Saturday (sure).  Are we even actively seeking any donors to this project?  I've heard nothing about it in well over a year.    sad.gif

New Stadium = CUSA

From the little bit I was able to talk to Rick V I am encouraged. He stated that right now getting an indoor practice facility for basketball, looking at baseball and getting the other projects which are in place finished is the main goal. After that we'll go forward with a plan to build a stadium. I can't say I disagree with his priorities. While Fouts is a hole it is at least football specific and usable. We've got to get all of our other athletes into homes of their own and give them a place to practice before we look to a new stadium.

From the little bit I was able to talk to Rick V I am encouraged.  He stated that right now getting an indoor practice facility for basketball, looking at baseball and getting the other projects which are in place finished is the main goal.  After that we'll go forward with a plan to build a stadium.  I can't say I disagree with his priorities.  While Fouts is a hole it is at least football specific and usable.  We've got to get all of our other athletes into homes of their own and give them a place to practice before we look to a new stadium.

What is the status/use of the old men's gym "snakepit"? Could it be updated and used for a dedicated indoor practice basketball-only facility? Or do they want to build something new and multi-court at Eagle Point? Baseball would be nice too.

But the Big Dog in college sports as far as image, revenue and conference reallignments is and always will be Football. While Fouts is currently serviceable, it has limited physical and mechanical life left. The faster we replace it with a more fan-friendly and true 1-A venue capable of hosting larger programs, then the faster all other sports will reap the benefits of increased revenue and perhaps a better conference to compete in.

And it isn't "Whisful Thinking"... it will just take till 2012 before it is a reality.

I could live with it being done in 2012, if that was the actual date. It's the no date, no timeline, no information that kills momentum for a project like this. I know it's all based on $ and we don't have enough yet, but no updates sure won't produce any.

I know MGC members that had no idea a new stadium was even in the planning stages or that the new AC has a football locker room under it and will be in the south endzone of that new stadium, some year. If MGC members know nothing about it, the average alum or Denton public sure knows nothing about it. And thus won't give anything toward it's completion.

Wishful thinking sleep.gif

user posted image

POST # EIGHT THOUSAND! blink.gif

REVISED

As one posted on another thread, the gap between UNT (& the SBC)) compared to the upper echelon conferences of the BCS, the MWC & now even CUSA is growing.

How many more years of good ol' venerable Fouts Field and what it really symbolizes (especially to the thousands who drive by it daily and form their conclusions); anyway, just how many more years can we continue to call Fouts home while power-brokers among NCAA D1-A who still perceive what we are bogged down in at UNT (decades later)? Also, what our critics (or would-be sponsors for a better conference) most likely judge what they still see as our apparent (non)committment to an upwardly bound future in NCAA D1-A.

Even the most ardent UNT supporter would have to admit that if we were in all our critic's shoes we, too, would probably still focus on what we are doing in Denton now as for as any future plans we would have in the upper echelon of the BCS or................. will those NCAA power-brokers still see us in our (seemedly always) continued holding pattern, ie, standing still pattern (if you will) along with our present SBC/toward the "Bottom 10" business as usual attitude in MG Country (which at the NCAA D1-A level usually means your athletic program is in a backwards mode).

I think many might agree that SMU even in the midst of all their losing seasons was invited into CUSA ahead of UNT (in the midst of our bowl years & having more televised games in our history) because they simply put their money where their mouths were and built Gerald J. Ford Stadium. Also, (and what those on Mockingbird Lane might even admit) it helped SMU's cause inasmuch as they also coat-tailed into CUSA with the other WAC schools who joined CUSA. UNT will need to make or break its future while most likely not depending on SMU to give us any semblance of a positive nod that would help us get into CUSA. After all, our 2 schools do have some history to go by with all that, right? rolleyes.gif

YET.............UNT still really needs to do this new stadium deal much sooner (I know, it i$ $till a ca$e of Big Donor--where art thou?) than later or will we of UNT find ourselves in yet another familiar scenario we have seen in past decades, ie, when there were opening(s) for an improved conference address yet we would still discover (once again) that upper echelon conference leaders really still need to see (from UNT) more in the area of visible results rather than just more talk of what our tremendous potential is or all we have to show them are what we have on those (forever) drawing boards and/or virtual tour stadium video of a "would be" stadium at our Eagle Point Campus? rolleyes.gif

SAY WHAT? blink.gifIf CUSA somehow (and suddenly) found themselves with an opening and need for a new member, does anyone else feel there may now even be 1 or 2 Sun Belt schools (plus La Tech) who would be ahead of us as a CUSA potential member?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen