Racism in High School coach hiring

TicketJohn

No big deal, at least they did not say "North Texas State"

I still hear people say "Texas University" as well as "Univ. of Texas" also "University of Oklahoma" and "Oklahoma University". Both of them have been around 100+ years and people still don't get them right.

No  big deal, at least they did not say "North Texas State"

I still hear people say  "Texas University"  as well as  "Univ. of Texas" also  "University of Oklahoma"  and  "Oklahoma University".  Both of them have been around 100+ years and people still don't get them right.

Well if OU hadn't sucked for the first half of last year they wouldn't have that problem. tongue.gif

Time to unhijack a promising thread - back to racism and coaching.

Edited by Quoner

Yah racism sometimes exists, sometimes the best just happen to be a lot of any certain group, see NBA.... Txdot offers (or offered for several years) scholarships in engineering if you were one of the following: female, Hispanic, Afro-American, American Indian, Asian-American, or Pacific Islander. I did not see it posted last year but this has been true for several years and still may be true....

In short: everyone but an Anglo male was eligible for this scholarship...which excluded both of my engineering sons when they were in college. So---I had to paid their tuition and fees. Joy-joy!!! Even worse, this scholarship was paid with Texas tax money which I also pay. ....This is an example of racism/sexism and I am not making this up. One of my daughter's friends received one, she was female..

Was this fair????

Don't see many Anglos hired by BET or Hispanic TV either. Racism works in both directions but some don't realize it. Some don't want to admit it but they may have not been the best applicant and racism was not an issue. I can't read the article so I have no idea what it said... just making comments about the subject.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Guest JohnDenver

Yah racism sometimes exists, sometimes the best just happen to be a lot of any certain group, see NBA.... Txdot offers (or offered for several years) scholarships in engineering if you were one of the following:  female,  Hispanic,  Afro-American,  American Indian,  Asian-American,  or Pacific Islander.  I did not see it posted last year but this has been true for several years and still may be true....

In short: everyone but an Anglo male was eligible for this scholarship...which excluded both of my engineering sons when they were in college.  So---I had to paid their tuition and fees.  Joy-joy!!!    Even worse, this scholarship was paid with Texas tax money which I also pay. ....This is an example of racism/sexism and I am not making this up.  One of my daughter's friends received one, she was female..

Was this fair???? 

Don't see many Anglos hired by BET or Hispanic TV either.  Racism works in both directions but some don't realize it.  Some don't want to admit it but they may have not been the best applicant and racism was not an issue. I can't read the article so I have no idea what it said... just making comments about the subject.

I love the victim mentality.

White men have it so hard. We are portrayed as the fat, bumbling idiot husbands in every sitcom and cartoon. ph34r.gif

Even though I am the victim, I have a nice paying job and a nice engineering degree and went to a blue ribbon high school that had a total of two black students (one of which was "recruited" inlegally from South Dallas).

..and as a side note, if you want to complain about people complaining about victims of racism, you really shouldn't use "reverse" racism as an example. If you do, you just joined the group of people you are complaining about...

I love the victim mentality.

White men have it so hard.  We are portrayed as the fat, bumbling idiot husbands in every sitcom and cartoon.  ph34r.gif

Even though I am the victim, I have a nice paying job and a nice engineering degree and went to a blue ribbon high school that had a total of two black students (one of which was "recruited" inlegally from South Dallas).

..and as a side note, if you want to complain about people complaining about victims of racism, you really shouldn't use "reverse" racism as an example. If you do, you just joined the group of people you are complaining about...

I was complaining about the complainers. It was in big issue in the 50's, 60's and 70's, not much now. Many of the kids I went to HS with (we integrated in the mid 50's) could not attend SWC colleges because of their race or in the case of a kid that sat behind me in HS geometry class, even the local college in my hometown. It wasn't right but things have changed greatly. There is not a lot to complain about any more, maybe about some individuals or odd situations but not in general. A few still think they are victims, and complain, they now bother me because I understand how it once was. Were you in school during the 50's and 60's??? I was, and I went to North Texas which was integrated..

You did not understand the point I was trying to make. Everyone has situations they don't like... rarely is race the issue anymore. I even went a civic meeting this week and it was mentioned about Juneteeneth which is celebrated here with a picnic/parade I think.. A couple of blacks were sitting to the immediate right of me and one stated the NAACP in our town has disolved and he hoped it never appeared again here. He stated it was not needed anymore and wanted everyone treated as Americans not some racial group. I live in a town of 100,000 not a small place.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I was complaining about the complainers. It was in big issue in the 50's, 60's and 70's, not much now. Many of the kids I went to HS with (we integrated in the mid 50's) could not attend SWC colleges because of their race or in the case of a kid that sat behind me in HS geometry class, even the local college in my hometown. It wasn't right but things have changed greatly. There is not a lot to complain about any more, maybe about some individuals or odd situations but not in general. A few still think they are victims, and complain, they now bother me because I understand how it once was. Were you in school during the 50's and 60's??? I was, and I went to North Texas which was integrated..

You did not understand the point I was trying to make. Everyone has situations they don't like... rarely is race the issue anymore.

Is race always the issue - No! But if you believe that because they're not spraying people with water hoses, lynching them from trees and making people sit in the balcony that race is rarely the issue anymore, you've got to wake up. Just because the racism moves into the board room with glass ceilings and is repackage with a network of "friends hiring friends they're comfortable with from similar backgrounds" does not mean it's not racist.

See the problem here is that you have AD's hiring coaches for many different reasons - some involve race and some don't. However, you can never prove that a coach was not hired because the AD didn't want to explain to his/her 90% white school district's parents why they hired someone non-white that maybe the parents wouldn't feel comforatable with. Why do that if you don't have to? What would happen if this occured and the booster and community support lessened? Why risk that if you don't have to?

You can't prove racism in these cases and you can't reverse the situation. There are very few coaches applying for jobs in the DISD where the pay is less, the facilities are less, the family and fan support is less and many times having a kid at practice is the least of your worries. I know this because some of my friends coach in DISD and everyone of the them knows this is only a stepping stone.

They only thing you have are the numbers and like it or not, they're not good.

In 2002, you had 66 4A and 5A coaching positions in the suburbs and 4 non white coaches. In 2006 you have (w/new schools added) 72 coaching positions and 3 non white coaches. You've had 39 new hires since 2002 and you have one less non-white coach than you started with in 2002. I'm not saying the is racist, just it should be looked at when the discrepency is widening.

Let me finish with this, I have 3 friends on the list of those who got new jobs during this time frame. 2 were my teammates at North Texas and the are real good coaches. Still, with the numbers widening, it should be looked at.

I have known of situation where a District or company was criticized for the lack of minorities and they had hired practically every applicant. Out here every head coach in a school district of the same sport gets the same pay except for a difference years of experience in education. I have no clue what DISD does. W-L record is not the issue in salery here, just in keeping the job.

One of the more funny things I've ever said to a cop: "Why is the man always f***ing with me?"

I said it in all seriousness to a black cop who was giving me a ticket. I give him huge props for restraining his laughter.

I'm pretty white outside, but all green inside!

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!

I have known of situation where a District or company was criticized for the lack of minorities and they had hired practically every applicant. Out here every head coach in a school district of the same sport gets the same pay except for a difference years of experience in education. I have no clue what DISD does. W-L record is not the issue in salery here, just in keeping the job.

About a month ago the DMN ran an article showing the pay of the head football coaches in the area. Every one of the DISD head coaches was in the bottom 10% in pay. Every one! This was pointed out in the article and the only reason it stood out to me. They were making between $40,000 to $50,000. On the high-end, were the richer school districts where the pay was in the $80-90,000 range. I have also been told by some of my coaching friends that many of the coaches in these districts will also make an additional $15-30,000 from football camps they run in the summer. This leads to a bigger discussion such as school financing, property taxes and robin hood but that would just give me tired head sad.gif .