31 bowl games next year

eulesseagle

This whole "there are just too many bowls" argument is a double edged sword. Most who make this argument are fans of BCS schools and see all of these extra bowls as allowing "mid-major" schools with records inflated by feasting on eachother to play in the post-season. In some cases they are absolutely correct. What they fail to realize, or won't admit, is that they keep certifying new bowls because teams at the wrong end of the BCS leagues' standings still want to play in December. It's not a 6-5 North Texas that's the issue, it's a 6-6 Arkansas, Missouri, or Washington who include 1-2 wins against their league and 4-5 against SBC or WAC schools in their resume. BCS schools use wins against the little guys just as much as we do...it's just conveniently left out of the discussion when they complain.

Personally, as much I have loved my time in New Orleans, I would still rather NOT see bowls awarded to teams with only 6 wins - against any competition. Yes, its a reward for the kids, but is being 50% (assuming a 6 and 6 record) really all that reward-worthy?

I'd rather see less bowls, and a 7 win minimum. But no one asked me.

Edited by TeachinTodd

I don't have a problem with all of the bowls. Although, I would like to see a greater than .500 record become a rule by which a school can make it. The random pairings of teams intrigues me. It's great to watch two schools that have never played, to me at least. No complaints from me....keep the bowls coming, as long as their record is above .500!

they could have 70 bowls for all I care. we all know which ones are going to match up the best teams and we can choose to watch or not to watch the rest. I personally watch just about every bowl game and will no matter how many are played. as long as people are watching keep playing them.

they could have 70 bowls for all I care. we all know which ones are going to match up the best teams and we can choose to watch or not to watch the rest. I personally watch just about every bowl game and will no matter how many are played. as long as people are watching keep playing them.

Amen, brotha!

Gimme Slippery Rock and Vassar and I'll watch it!

I wish the NCAA would create an 8 (or 6) team playoff which no more than one conference with two representatives.

Other than that let the holiday bowl system continue for the teams that are not included in the playoff system... Those would have no bearing on the national championship but would provide a fun time for fans and players and give people somewhere to go during the holidays..... which is exactly what they were designed for in the beginning. That is pretty much what most bowls are now anyway. The New Orleans Bowl has had not any effect on the national Champion nor has the Sun Bowl or many others. This past year was rather unusual in that there wasn't much argument who the best two teams was so there wasn't the big need for a playoff sytem like there usually is.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Derrick Fox, executive director of the San Antonio Bowl and the Football Bowl Association, acknowledged that there is a glut of bowl games.

So has the Alamo Bowl been renamed the San Antonio Bowl? I liked the name "The Alamo Bowl" - I hope that hasn't changed.