Patrick Cobbs Pro Day results

Will to Win

These were surprising 40 yard dash numbers. I thought he was faster than the reported numbers.

"Patrick Cobbs RB Cobbs (5-8, 206) ran a 40 in 4.71 seconds with the wind and 4.94 against the wind. He also ran the short shuttle in 4.24 and the three-cone drill in 7.10. In additon, he had a 32-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-6 broad jump and 20 bench presses."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/individual_workouts#notex

I never considered Patrick to be a speed burner at all. I can't imagine many drills that would measure him. Things like vision and technique are what I thought always made him succeed.

Without a doubt his lack of speed might hurt him though.

Edited by Zeke

These were surprising 40 yard dash numbers. I thought he was faster than the reported numbers.

"Patrick Cobbs  RB  Cobbs (5-8, 206) ran a 40 in 4.71 seconds with the wind and 4.94 against the wind. He also ran the short shuttle in 4.24 and the three-cone drill in 7.10. In additon, he had a 32-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-6 broad jump and 20 bench presses."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/individual_workouts#notex

I have a hard time believing he could only muster 4.71 in the 40. I have an even harder time believing that Wendall Mathis of Fresno State ran a 4.17 - That has to be a world record or something.

I have a hard time believing he could only muster 4.71 in the 40.  I have an even harder time believing that Wendall Mathis of Fresno State ran a 4.17 - That has to be a world record or something.

Coach has a great article on 40 times that everyone here should read. He used to link it in his signature but I don't think he does anymore.

If you look at our 2 national champion running backs they did it with 2 entirely different styles. Cobbs did it mostly up the middle using vision and power to get through the line and quick feet to make his cuts. Thomas worked more on the outside trying to get outside the D then burn them. I would expect to see great times for Thomas as that is what makes him successful. Cobbs doesn't necessary need speed to be successful. Look at Bettis, not the all time fastest guy, but he could get the job done up the middle and had incredible feet.

This time isn't surprising at all. I saw a similar time listed for him last spring. The bulk he put on between his Soph. and Sr. years probably really hurt him. Will he still get a chance with another team? Probably and I wish him all the best!!

It just REALLY goes to show you how relatively little 40 times can have to do with production. What's a 40 time? 40 yards on a dead sprint. How many times did we ever see P.C. get his yards on a dead sprint? Once or twice maybe.

As stated before, his strength is his vision! I'd add to that his remarkable balance, anticipation and ability to change direction.

If nothing else, if he gets invited to camp next year, I'll create him in Madden and make him into the best back the game has ever seen.

Long live Patrick Cobbs...sub 4.5 40 or not!

Edited by TicketJohn

not suprised at all. I wish PC the best, but the reality is he probably wont get drafted- 2003 rushing champion or not. Unfortunately, everyone in the nation views this feat as one that was accomplished primarily because of the level of competition (or lack of) in the Sun Belt. The 4.94 is terrible. A 4.71 for a back isnt good- regardless of how well he cuts and how good his vision is. He isnt big enough to not have some speed.

Yeah, everyone give that a read.  Very eye opening.

So doing the math suggested in the article, Cobbs was more like a low 5?

Or was Cobbs measured right because he is our guy and everyone else was measured wrong?

Guest JohnDenver

So doing the math suggested in the article, Cobbs was more like a low 5?

Or was Cobbs measured right because he is our guy and everyone else was measured wrong?

No one said that. Why are you so angry all the time .. I bet Quinn runs faster. Does that make you happy? Go rub one off in the corner -- or is it quorner?

Doing the "math" according to the article, it states that ALL 40 times are subjective and inaccurate. That the running style is different for sprinting that playing football and shouldnt' be used to judge whether a play can be in the NFL. Running outside (at Fouts) is different that running indoors in spikes (at Indy). Hand clocked 40 times (which Cobbs had) is not accurate, so the NFL adds fractions of a second to it (which is reflected in Cobb's time). So according that that math, Cobbs ran what he ran according to the NFL and nothing more, but that his time would put him on par with olympic sprinters on an average day. We know that isn't the case ... Therefore, why should we use the 40 time as a measuring stick? There must be a more accurate way of judging a running back.

Did that summary help you at all?

No one said that. Why are you so angry all the time .. I bet Quinn runs faster. Does that  make you happy? Go rub one off in the corner -- or is it quorner?

Doing the "math" according to the article, it states that ALL 40 times are subjective and inaccurate. That the running style is different for sprinting that playing football and shouldnt' be used to judge whether a play can be in the NFL. Running outside (at Fouts) is different that running indoors in spikes (at Indy).  Hand clocked 40 times (which Cobbs had) is not accurate, so the NFL adds fractions of a second to it (which is reflected in Cobb's time). So according that that math, Cobbs ran what he ran according to the NFL and nothing more, but that his time would put him on par with olympic sprinters on an average day. We know that isn't the case ... Therefore, why should we use the 40 time as a measuring stick? There must be a more accurate way  of judging a running back.

Did that summary help you at all?

Touchy John, geeze. You of all people should understand the joy of a random avatar. Calling BS on people isn't angry. I love Cobbs too, but putting him in the NFL as a draft pick or free agent based on his work history is not what I would do. I think the effort to justify his 40 time and test results is hilarious. He did serviceable in the senior game and nothing about his works out jumps out - and everyone here is finding other people to blame for that - again. Cobbs has a full body of work for the NFL to judge what he did and who he did it against - the 40 is just a piece and a ho-hum time is just a part. As Eagle1855 alluded to, if running a slow 40 makes you the next Emmitt Smith, sign this guy:

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0000...02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

We love blaming others - whether its the BCS, the coach, the admin, or whatever - but nothing ever is what it is. I'm not angry, don't worry - I'm just laughing in the corner. If you are lucky, I may even rub one out.

Why would it be quorner - the qu replaced a b, not a c. That's just stupid and ridiculous. Geez.

Thank you for taking me seriously and getting mad - I can send baby wipes to anyone else I offend as well. If you'll excuse me I am off to go update my draft board.

Guest JohnDenver

You of all people should understand the joy of a random avatar.

I am John Denver. I don't know what you are talking about..

Edited by JohnDenver

actually Im thoroughly enjoying this bout of witty banter... I mean, we could always bring up QB controversy or logo talk and watch the entire board collectively power-down...

Fire the student interns!!!! They've been freeloading too long.

Do you think TCU puts up with this crap - doubtful!

Whatever happened to UNTSIG anyway - did someone run him off?

• 3 weeks later...