Mean Green actually mean again?

mdmeangreen

As several posters have noted there were numeroud reasons why the Mean Green 2005 campaign was rocky- terrible QB play; porous lines; hobbled RBs; aspects of coaching issues; etc.- this was the bad news.

The good news is these issues seem to be addressed- improved QB play; solidifed lines with depth; fresh faces in the coaching ranks; etc.- all very good news.

We all love our Mean Green and would love for them to win the SB each year- ain't gonna hap'n capt'n! But, UNT is still the best team, overall in the SB and we'll prove it next year- mark my words!!!

Any thoughts!

I hope you're right! I don't think I (or UNT athletics) can handle many more seasons like last year. I am hoping (and praying) for a win against SMU, more competive OOC games (preferably with at least one other win), a winning conference record and a united Mean Green Nation. Of course, I wouldn't mind another trip to the New Orleans Bowl, either, but I'd trade that for a victory over SMU this year!

My thoughts.... honestly.. not too much different than last year... a few games might  go our way that we narrowly lost last year. but, I am not going to say we are better till I see it in August in a real game.

At this time with our current coaching staff I don't see next season being any better!

tis very true NT is the best among the Sun Belt, we should be able to turn it around from last year

Well, I think the key for improvement is the play of your QB's, but one thing you are missing is that you won a lot of games in the SBC because the other teams simply tripped all over themselves trying to beat you. You had a real psychological advantage over the other SBC teams but I’m afraid that is now a thing of the past. FAU, FIU and Troy really never fell under your spell and the others seem to be finding the antidote.

The reality is that UNT is somewhere in the middle of the SBC as far as talent and are still rather young. I look for improvement and for UNT to be in the upper half of the league but beating either ULL or ASU will be a chore next year. ASU is going to be a lot better team than last year and you have to play them at their place and ULL will be the best team in the league.

The reality is that UNT is somewhere in the middle of the SBC as far as talent and are still rather young. I look for improvement and for UNT to be in the upper half of the league but beating either ULL or ASU will be a chore next year. ASU is going to be a lot better team than last year and you have to play them at their place and ULL will be the best team in the league.

I don't know where I fall yet, but I'm sure there are some here that would beg to differ: rather, the talent is very good but the swagger that carried us the first 4 years was shattered. Perhaps another way to look at it is that we haven't had a class is gifted and gelled as that first one.

-gm

Change from 2005:

QB: +20%, only one new name (Wilson) but all have more experience than last year, plus they'll be expected to do more this year.

RB: -10%, no Cobbs; is J'Mo healthy yet? Backup Cox is still a tryout.

OL: +15%, can't be as bad as last years plus more bodies this season.

WR: +20%, deep, experienced group.

DL: -15%, still an experiment, no proven ends, 3-4?

LB: +10%, many returners, 4 on the field at once.

DB: no change, no great losses, no great gains.

K/P: -25%, no Baz as you'll find out.

Coaching/Fans: -10%, Same coach, fewer fans = less noise.

Totals:

+65%

-60%

-------

+05% x 2-9 record = 3-8 season. sad.gif

Nice analysis...although I hope for better results. I REALLY think that a fully healthy Jamario is the X-factor here. If he runs like he did in '04 everything else will fall into place. Imagine how much more comfortable the QB (whichever one starts) will be if the running game is clicking. Jamario was breaking huge games against stacked lines AND against good teams. We had a lot of close losses last season. If our superstar is back in form...I like our chances in Sun Belt play next season.

How's a little early morning positivity work for ya? laugh.gif

Change from 2005:

QB:  +20%, only one new name (Wilson) but all have more experience than last year, plus they'll be expected to do more this year.

RB:  -10%, no Cobbs; is J'Mo healthy yet?  Backup Cox is still a tryout.

OL:  +15%, can't be as bad as last years plus more bodies this season.

WR:  +20%, deep, experienced group.

DL:  -15%, still an experiment, no proven ends, 3-4?

LB:  +10%, many returners, 4 on the field at once.

DB:  no change, no great losses, no great gains.

K/P:  -25%, no Baz as you'll find out.

Coaching/Fans:  -10%, Same coach, fewer fans = less noise.

Totals:

+65%

-60%

-------

+05% x 2-9 record = 3-8 season.  sad.gif

Hmmm, from what I saw, I'd give the DL a +5. Everyone that showed up to practice this spring was either noticably better than last year, or played very solid. So, assuming that Sky Pruitt has been working very hard on his re-hab this spring/summer, and assuming that Ransom & Chapman come back healthy this fall, I feel that that DL is a slight improvement over last year. And that is not taking into account that maybe one of the freshman DL's will be an impact player this fall.

Also, I think that (collectively) the RB effectiveness will be about the same this fall, rather than a -10%.

So, for me, that makes for a +30 over last year. That would mean that we could/should be over .500. At least 7-4.....possibly 8-3.

We have a new DC that can actually make adjustments, that is a huge difference from last year!

Yes. To the poster who said that ASU and ULL were superior to us....I just don't see it. We were in EVERY single Sun Belt game last year until the final drive of the game...where our D typically allowed long 4th quarter drives to beat us. We had the 3rd youngest D in I-A. Our D will be better this year, and so will our QB play (2 Fr QBs last year). I don't know that we will win the Sun Belt, but ASU and ULL sure as heck aren't superior to us. How is ASU going to do without Noce--who was ASU's entire offense in the bowl game. ULL might have a shot this year, simply b/c Babb is going to be a senior this year. Still, I'm not all that impressed with their entire team. Troy and the Florida schools are our primary competition for now.

Yes.  To the poster who said that ASU and ULL were superior to us....I just don't see it.  We were in EVERY single Sun Belt game last year until the final drive of the game...where our D typically allowed long 4th quarter drives to beat us.  We had the 3rd youngest D in I-A.  Our D will be better this year, and so will our QB play (2 Fr QBs last year).  I don't know that we will win the Sun Belt, but ASU and ULL sure as heck aren't superior to us.  How is ASU going to do without Noce--who was ASU's entire offense in the bowl game.  ULL might have a shot this year, simply b/c Babb is going to be a senior this year.  Still, I'm not all that impressed with their entire team.  Troy and the Florida schools are our primary competition for now.

Actually you do not know what you are talking about.

This is the year that ASU has been building for and there are two certainties, they will have the best OL in the SBC and they will have the best Defense in the league.

The QB position and kicker are the only question marks, I do feel that both positions will be off from last year but these are the only uncertainties when it comes to ASU.

Keep in mind that Injuries and suspensions decimated ASU last year especially on defense and saying they are returning 15 starters is very misleading, they are returning many more with starting experience.

The key for ASU is it’s defense. Look for Josh Williams (6’1, 255, 4.6, All-Conference, Freshmen All-American), Tyrell Johnson (‘ 195, 4.5, All SBC, Freshmen All-American),Koby McKinnon (6’3, 215, 4.6), Brial Flagg(6’1, 250, 4.7), Brandon Rollins(6’4, 255, 4.7), Jamarrow James( 6’1 280, 4.8), Khayyam Burns(6’, 190, 4.5), Dominique Williams(5’10, 175, 4.5), Darren Toney (5’11, 185, 4.3) Montis Harrison (5’11, 185, 4.4), and Devrett Wade (6’, 231, 4.6, All-SBC), all to be all conference candidates on defense. Look for Curtis Bonds (6’4” 285), Prince Hickman (6’, 280) and Troy White (6’1, 270) all Texans by the way, to join Jonathan Najm (6’1, 240, 4.6) to give ASU a better front four than last year. Zellas Abby (5’10, 290) and Reggie Green (6’4, 260) both have starting experience on the line. Kelvin Cox (6’, 190, 4.4, on/off starter) and Jerime Henderson (6’, 200, 4.4) are capable of displacing Harrison and Williams at the corners. Ben Owens (6’3, 225, 4.6,SEC offers, and ahead of Williams at this point), Elias Ellis (6’, 215, 4.5, PAC 10 offers, on/off starter) and Chris Littleton (5’11, 215, 4.5, on/off starter, and mean) are all solid backups at linebackers that ASU could win with. Add to this a group of red-shirt freshmen and props that are probably as good or are better prospects and the pieces are falling into place for ASU on this side of the ball.

On offence the OL is the key, and is the best OL in 30 years at ASU. Look for Jess McDonald 6’3, 303, former JC All-American, Shawn Shoemaker (6’3, 320, HS All-American on DL), to join returning all SBC players Matt Mandich (6’3, 285, 2nd team All SBC),and Tanner Jenkins (6’1 290, 1st team All-SBC) as all conference candidates on the OL. Dale Maas (6’6, 300) should be the 5th starter. Kyle Kotes( 6’4, 307, returning starter), Vincent Thrower (6’5, 335) and Matt Reibe (6’4, 300), would still give ASU the best OL in the SBC if they could beat out the guys ahead of them.

Look for the running game, led by Chris Easily (6’, 215, 4.5, starter prior to injury) to produce for more yards than last year’s group. The backups consist of Chris James (5’9, 210, 4.5, I saw him rush for over 400 yards in a game in HS), Cedric Wilkerson (5’6 185, 4.4) and Reggie Arnold (5’10, 215, 4.38). ASU’s starting Fullback, Oren O'Neal (6’ 250, 4.7) was granted a 6th year of eligibility and is the best blocking back in the SBC.

ASU returns all its receivers and if the QB position develops look for Levi Dejohnette (5’10, 175, 4.5) to make All-SBC.

Edited by Seminole Indian

I think you have drastically over-simplified the quarterback position.  That is the hardest postion to replace.  If a Qb doesn't emerge, the power of the OL won't matter; as 5 lineman can't block 8 defenders (as some UNT lineman).

Well, I agree with you and I am arguing that point on Tribalgrounds. Their counter points are that the projected starter at QB will either be a red-shirt sophomore, who was recruited specifically for this offence and knows the system, or a red-shirt freshman (and SEC Caliber Athlete like Wilson) who is a better prospect. They also have a freshman QB coming in that the staff says was their top prospect (impressive if true, when you consider that they’re #2 signed with Miami).

The fact still remains that ASU has fewer unknowns than UNT or any other SBC team except for maybe ULL and UNT plays at their place.

As for me I always look in the trenches first and that is where ASU simply has more overall returning experiences and talent (especially on offence) than the other SBC teams.

On defense if ASU started their 2nd team, I would still predict that they would be the best ‘unit’ in the SBC. They are that good and have that kind of depth and it is not an issue of if they will be the best in the SBC this year but if they are the best the SBC has produced so far. By the way UNT and USM got to play against a lot 2nd and 3rd teamers last year and that will not be the case this time around.

Actually you do not know what you are talking about.

This is the year that ASU has been building for and there are two certainties, they will have the best OL in the SBC and they will have the best Defense in the league.

The QB position and kicker are the only question marks, I do feel that both positions will be off from last year but these are the only uncertainties when it comes to ASU.

Keep in mind that Injuries and suspensions decimated ASU last year especially on defense and saying they are returning 15 starters is very misleading, they are returning many more with starting experience.

The key for ASU is it’s defense. Look for Josh Williams (6’1, 255, 4.6, All-Conference, Freshmen All-American), Tyrell Johnson (‘ 195, 4.5, All SBC, Freshmen All-American),Koby McKinnon (6’3, 215, 4.6), Brial Flagg(6’1, 250, 4.7), Brandon Rollins(6’4, 255, 4.7), Jamarrow James( 6’1 280, 4.8), Khayyam Burns(6’, 190, 4.5), Dominique Williams(5’10, 175, 4.5), Darren Toney (5’11, 185, 4.3) Montis Harrison (5’11, 185, 4.4), and Devrett Wade (6’, 231, 4.6, All-SBC), all to be all conference candidates on defense. Look for Curtis Bonds (6’4” 285), Prince Hickman (6’, 280) and Troy White (6’1, 270) all Texans by the way, to join Jonathan Najm (6’1, 240, 4.6) to give ASU a better front four than last year. Zellas Abby (5’10, 290) and Reggie Green (6’4, 260) both have starting experience on the line. Kelvin Cox (6’, 190, 4.4, on/off starter) and  Jerime Henderson (6’, 200, 4.4) are capable of displacing Harrison and Williams at the corners. Ben Owens (6’3, 225, 4.6,SEC offers, and ahead of Williams at this point), Elias Ellis (6’, 215, 4.5, PAC 10 offers, on/off starter) and Chris Littleton (5’11, 215, 4.5, on/off starter, and mean) are all solid backups at linebackers that ASU could win with. Add to this a group of red-shit freshmen and props that are probably as good or are better prospects and the pieces are falling into place for ASU on this side of the ball.

On offence the OL is the key, and is the best OL in 30 years at ASU. Look for Jess McDonald 6’3, 303, former JC All-American, Shawn Shoemaker (6’3, 320, HS All-American on DL), to join returning all SBC players Matt Mandich (6’3, 285, 2nd team All SBC),and Tanner Jenkins (6’1 290, 1st team All-SBC) as all conference candidates on the OL. Dale Maas (6’6, 300) should be the 5th starter. Kyle Kotes( 6’4, 307, returning starter), Vincent Thrower (6’5, 335) and Matt Reibe (6’4, 300), would still give ASU the best OL in the SBC if they could beat out the guys ahead of them.

Look for the running game, led by Chris Easily (6’, 215, 4.5, starter prior to injury) to produce for more yards than last year’s group.  The backups consist of Chris James (5’9, 210, 4.5, I saw him rush for over 400 yards in a game in HS), Cedric Wilkerson (5’6 185, 4.4) and Reggie Arnold (5’10, 215, 4.38). ASU’s starting Fullback, Oren O'Neal (6’ 250, 4.7) was granted a 6th year of eligibility and is the best blocking back in the SBC.

ASU returns all its receivers and if the QB position develops look for Levi Dejohnette (5’10, 175, 4.5) to make All-SBC.

Gee, I guess the rest of us just need to hang it up. No way any school can compete with those numbers. Based on your opinion, it looks like Arky State will make up virtually the entire SBC All-Conference defensive team. Yeah right. Homer opinions can be somewhat entertaining at times.

Gee, I guess the rest of us just need to hang it up. No way any school can compete with those numbers. Based on your opinion, it looks like Arky State will make up virtually the entire SBC All-Conference defensive team. Yeah right. Homer opinions can be somewhat entertaining at times.

I'll add insult to injury, another big advantage for ASU is that they are loaded with Texans like Josh Williams (one site says he might be the best LB in the nation), Kelvin Cox (big and fast off/on starter who originally signed with SMU), Montis Harrison (started and stared as a R/S freshman and has 4.3 speed), Curtis Bonds (who at 6’4 285, with 4.8 speed, will more than replace Myron Anderson the All-SBC Texan from last year), Prince Hickman (strong and tough, off /on starter), Troy White (super athlete), Jonathan Hissam (our strongest DL), Brandon Rollins (or best athlete on the line, and a ALL SBC caliber replacement for last years Texan) , Reggie Green (started against UNT and in NO bowl last year), Zellas Abby(starter prior to injury will probably be 3rd team next year), Devrett Wade (1st team All-SBC), Travis Jones, Jarrier Norman (our fastest player), and L.J. Williams (considered a blue chip corner prospect). Texas players are the backbone of our defense and Chris Easily was and is our best running back so look for his and their best effort against UNT.

Shoot, I think ASU is out ‘Mean Greening’ the Mean Green.

I'll add insult to injury, another big advantage for ASU is that they are loaded with Texans like Josh Williams (one site says he might be the best LB in the nation), Kelvin Cox (big and fast off/on starter who originally signed with SMU), Montis Harrison (started and stared as a R/S freshman and has 4.3 speed), Curtis Bonds (who at 6’4 285, with 4.8 speed, will more than replace Myron Anderson the All-SBC Texan from last year), Prince Hickman (strong and tough, off /on starter), Troy White (super athlete), Jonathan Hissam (our strongest DL), Brandon Rollins (or best athlete on the line, and a ALL SBC caliber replacement for last years Texan) , Reggie Green (started against UNT and in NO bowl last year), Zellas Abby(starter prior to injury will probably be 3rd team next year), Devrett Wade (1st team All-SBC), Travis Jones, Jarrier Norman (our fastest player), and L.J. Williams (considered a blue chip corner prospect. These players are the backbone of our defense  and  Chris Easily was and is our best running back so look for his best effort. Y

Shoot, I think ASU is out ‘Mean Greening’ the Mean Green.

I can hear the sounds of crickets as we all bow in awe of your great football talent evaluations. Inexperience at QB = doom. Wait and see.

Edited by Eagle-96

No one knows a damn thing about how next year's team will end up being in March.

You'll only know how good your team will be in December looking back. A lot of talent doesn't mean anything. Arkansas State won a third of a championship last year, and from what I saw on the sidelines, they weren't substantially more impressive than any team I saw at home last year short of Tulsa.

I'll ackowledge you personally in December if you have the kind of season you're talking about right now. However, I think everyone in the country is saying the same things that you are right now.

EVERYONE's cocky in the off-season.

Edited by illuvius32