EX UNT Coach

buff64

Rivals:

"The move reunites Malone with A&M defensive coordinator Gary Darnell after Malone served as cornerbacks coach at Western Michigan from 2004-05 while Darnell was head coach at WMU.

Malone also played for Darnell at the University of Texas from 1990-93 as a defensive back.

Malone takes the position vacated by former A&M defensive backs coach Melvin Smith who left to take the same title at Mississippi State earlier this month."

Rivals:

"The move reunites Malone with A&M defensive coordinator Gary Darnell after Malone served as cornerbacks coach at Western Michigan from 2004-05 while Darnell was head coach at WMU.

Malone also played for Darnell at the University of Texas from 1990-93 as a defensive back.

Malone takes the position vacated by former A&M defensive backs coach Melvin Smith who left to take the same title at Mississippi State earlier this month."

Still... kinda weird to be announced as the new RB coach for Arizona then 2 weeks later announce you're the new RB coach for TAMU.

Rivals:

I belive it is pronounced Arnell (the D is silent according to my aTm freinds)

Edited by bigrobdsp

So what is the story on Van Malone? Did you guys like him? Was he a good recruiter? Any inside info? I go to one UNT game a year wuth untcampbell, and I believe this year's D was down all the way around, especially from the salty units the previous few years.

As far as job hopping, wouldn't Malone feel right at home with Fran?

Ahhh, the gold old 'Arnell jokes. We are assembling a powerhouse to be reckoned with. ohmy.gif

By the way, he was DB coach at UNT, was going to be RBs at Arizona State, and should be DB coach at A&M.  Although I suspose he could be special teams coach given our miserable showing there the last two years.

He was introduced as the RB coach at A&M.

He was introduced as the RB coach at A&M.

Pretty sure it in DB coach.

http://www.aggieathletics.com/pressRelease.php?PRID=10958

For Immediate Release

Monday, February 27, 2006

COLLEGE STATION, Texas- Van Malone has been named the cornerbacks coach at Texas A&M University, Aggie Head Football Coach Dennis Franchione announced today.

“I am pleased to announce that Van Malone will coach our cornerbacks,” Coach Fran said. “He is a bright young coach who will do a great job of developing our defensive backs and he is an excellent recruiter.”

Malone comes to Aggieland from Arizona State where he was recently hired to coach running backs.

Anyone have a comment on him? Good, bad, or indifferent?

In business you would call a guy who makes moves like that a whore! Have a feeling this was based more on a personal relationship than money; nevertheless, when a man gives his word, he should honor it. I guess there is always the chance that Arizona State renieged on some aspect of their deal to Malone and he bolted.

Happens regularly for assistants. One year Mike Sherman announced he would rejoin our staff as OL coach and a month later he became OL coach for the Packers. i think it happened to Baylor, either from them or to them.

Given all the changes and instability of assistants, they have a right to return "home" if they can.

And still, no word from the board whether anyone liked him or hated him.

Hey bud you guys got a great one in Van. He was one of our top recruiters and coaches without a doubt. He played in Houston and knows that region well.

Happens regularly for assistants.  One year Mike Sherman announced he would rejoin our staff as OL coach and a month later he became OL coach for the Packers.  i think it happened to Baylor, either from them or to them. 

Given all the changes and instability of assistants, they have a right to return "home" if they can.

And still, no word from the board whether anyone liked him or hated him.

To answer your question about recruiting: He was here for one year and was responsible for recruiting 3 of the 18 we signed this year. We will have to see how they pan out as they were not highly touted but then again NONE of the recruits this year were highly touted. Such is life at good ole UNT. BTW, I think that exceeds the recruiting production of both our head coach and our OC for the last two years combined. Van was simply not here long enough to get a good gauge on him. So, basically, I have a big bag of nothing for you.

To answer your question about recruiting: He was here for one year and was responsible for recruiting 3 of the 18 we signed this year. We will have to see how they pan out as they were not highly touted but then again NONE of the recruits this year were highly touted. Such is life at good ole UNT. BTW, I think that exceeds the recruiting production of both our head coach and our OC for the last two years combined. Van was simply not here long enough to get a good gauge on him. So, basically, I have a big bag of nothing for you.

Pretty much my opinion, too. He wasn't here long enough to really be able to gauge him.