Women win the West Division

NTEagle08

And people still want to fire Slinker....good job women's!!!!!

I believe this is the first time she's even had a share of a conference title in 17 years. Her record is a joke, she's a decent recruiter, but it's not good enough.

I believe this is the first time she's even had a share of a conference title in 17 years. Her record is a joke, she's a decent recruiter, but it's not good enough.

I would lean more towards her being a better than average recruiter and only an average coach. In one of their losses earlier in the season she pressed to get the lead with under a minute left and Bobo got a steal to put them up by 1 and with under 10 second left (i think it was 7) she dropped the press off and just let the other team bring it across the half court line for the winning shot... I couldn't figure out why she would not even try to delay them... the coaching decision cost the game there. Over the last few seasons there are more examples of very poor coaching decisions Slinker has made that is just the one that stands out in my mind from this season.

And people still want to fire Slinker....good job women's!!!!!

I don't want to take anything away from Slinker and the Ladies this season, but this does put RV and North Texas in general in a bit of a bind. We now face the same conundrum we've been facing with football for several years. If we fire Slinker, we risk gaining a reputation as a school with unreasonable expectations, by firing the coach who brought us a division championship and led us to the NIT (albeit not past the first round) a few years ago.

On the other side, Slinker (while a really nice person) doesn't have the best coaching record. If we allow her to stay, we risk waiting even longer to bring in new blood and bring North Texas to the next level.

Well, after this year they will struggle..it will be just like the times of Jalie, Ros, and co.  Do we really want to wait 5-6 more years for another "successful" season.  I sure don't.  Slinker needs to go if she doesnt win the tourney and go to the NCAA's.  huh.gif

More than likely if they can get past their first game in the tournament, they should have a good shot at the NIT with 20 wins. Slinker should have been canned last year, but you really can't fire her after a season like this. But true the main components of this team are the Seniors and next year won't be as pretty as this one.

Well, after this year they will struggle..it will be just like the times of Jalie, Ros, and co.  Do we really want to wait 5-6 more years for another "successful" season.  I sure don't.  Slinker needs to go if she doesnt win the tourney and go to the NCAA's.  huh.gif

The Ladies lose Bobo, Mireles, Williams and Wilson. Other than Bobo who has really been that big of a contributor?

Congrats to Coach Slinker, staff, and players. I think they have the talent to win the tournament. A long shot , but they have a little bit of momentum going into the tournament.

As far as Slinker getting another contract, apparently that was decided mid-season by RV. I can think of no rationale for making that decision at that time, but it was made.

As one of Slinker's biggest recent critics, I too have mixed feelings about this year's season. On the positive side, the women's team is much better than the NT men. We would be singing JJ's praises if the men's team had won a division championship and were ranked in the top 100 teams.

Slinker now has 6 winning seasons out of 17 not exactly hall of fame level. Having seen all of Slinker teams, I have some opinions that can't be erased by one semi-successful season. Yes imo, a 9-6 conference record with this team is not a big success. Now winning the tournament or going a couple deep into the NIT would change my mind.

I do hope that this is the big turnaround year for Slinker. Next year's team should be much better than this year. The four big posts are all going to be back and are getting better. If you exclude Bobo, this years freshmen guards were better than the seniors that got the majority of the playing time. The early recruiting class was not very impressive but I believe NT has two more ships to give. A good three point shooter would fit in well.