La Tech releases '06 football schedule

MeanGreen61

Here's our tenative '06 schedule per Howell. We still need one as it shows 11 games thus far.

North Texas (Sun Belt)

9/2 Sat @ Texas

9/9 Sat vs. Southern Methodist

9/16 Sat @ Tulsa

9/23 Sat @ *Louisiana-Monroe

9/30 Sat vs. *Middle Tennessee State

10/7 Sat @ *Troy

10/21 Sat vs. *Florida International

11/4 Sat vs. Louisiana Tech

11/11 Sat @ *Louisiana-Lafayette

11/18 Sat vs. *Florida Atlantic

11/25 Sat @ *Arkansas State

actually collecting from other school's message boards and athletic websites, this is what the tenative schedule looks like as of now:

9/2 @ UT

9/9 vs. SMU

9/16 @ Tulsa

9/23 OPEN

9/30 vs. MTSU

10/7 @ ASU

10/14 OPEN

10/21 vs. FIU

10/28 @ Troy

11/4 vs. LA Tech

11/11 @ ULL

11/18 vs. FAU

11/25 @ ULM

I couldn't find a site with the ASU game date, but I would assume it would be 10/7 since ASU has games on 9/23 and 10/14 already scheduled. The conference schedule is officially released by the Sun Belt on March 1st, so it's anyone's guess if these dates will stick.

It is my understanding that our 12th game will be against BYU.  Not sure of the date.  Johnny Mack posted something about it on the Voy board.

He also posted that it would be in Provo and that RV turned down a "home and home." I find this hard to beleive.

He also posted that it would be in Provo and that RV turned down a "home and home."  I find this hard to beleive.

If RV turned down a home and home with BYU, then he's a bigger idiot than I've given him credit for. The only way he would not be an idiot is if the payout was $750,000. If it's a penny less, he's an F'n Moron.

He also posted that it would be in Provo and that RV turned down a "home and home."  I find this hard to beleive.

Why? Our OOC schedule is filled up for next year and they wanted the return trip for 2007. Game contracts work this way - we either get paid to go to play them or they give us a return trip in exchange. You have to weigh if we will make more money off of the gate by bringing them back to Denton in 2007 or if just taking the check from going there is the better deal. Also, we are paying back the loan for the AC - perhaps our budget just needed the extra cash for next year. The athletic department has a budget just like any business. I don't find it hard to believe that we chose to take the money this time... the last time we scheduled a "home and home" with a MWC school, they took our game for the first year and have been delaying the return trip ever since (Air Force)... I think we are just covering our butts. And who knows how many people would show up for BYU in Denton? Would it be enough to turn down the check for this year? I doubt it - probably a smart decision to just take the money and play one game.

If the rumor is true - I would be happy about it. We wanted a 12th game that wasn't a body bag game - but it wouldn't hurt to make a little money off of it. BYU probably doesn't pay as much as OU - but I bet we get a couple hundred grand from it. So it satisfies what we wanted for that 12th game - a higher profile school; but one that we have a potential to win. Not a BCS school. Not a IAA game. And not a body bag game. It could be better if it had been a Houston or a Rice - a regional school like one of those would have been ideal for a home and home; but this is a nice 12th game if it is true.

If RV turned down a home and home with BYU, then he's a bigger idiot than I've given him credit for. The only way he would not be an idiot is if the payout was $750,000. If it's a penny less, he's an F'n Moron.

RV an idiot? Me thinks you must be the idiot. (Or at the very least drunk)

Why?  Our OOC schedule is filled up for next year and they wanted the return trip for 2007.  Game contracts work this way - we either get paid to go to play them or they give us a return trip in exchange.  You have to weigh if we will make more money off of the gate by bringing them back to Denton in 2007 or if just taking the check from going there is the better deal.  Also, we are paying back the loan for the AC - perhaps our budget just needed the extra cash for next year.  The athletic department has a budget just like any business.  I don't find it hard to believe that we chose to take the money this time... the last time we scheduled a "home and home" with a MWC school, they took our game for the first year and have been delaying the return trip ever since (Air Force)... I think we are just covering our butts.  And who knows how many people would show up for BYU in Denton?  Would it be enough to turn down the check for this year?  I doubt it - probably a smart decision to just take the money and play one game. 

If the rumor is true - I would be happy about it.  We wanted a 12th game that wasn't a body bag game - but it wouldn't hurt to make a little money off of it.  BYU probably doesn't pay as much as OU - but I bet we get a couple hundred grand from it.  So it satisfies what we wanted for that 12th game - a higher profile school; but one that we have a potential to win.  Not a BCS school.  Not a IAA game.  And not a body bag game.  It could be better if it had been a Houston or a Rice - a regional school like one of those would have been ideal for a home and home; but this is a nice 12th game if it is true.

Actually, there is a very large Mormon population in this area, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were a good turnout for a game in Denton. I'm not sure how many of them like football, but my guess is that they'd show up to support the school.

So it satisfies what we wanted for that 12th game - a higher profile school; but one that we have a potential to win. 

win? Ahh, this is BYU not ACU.

And I don't believe RV would turn down a home game with them unless they asked for Texas Stadium, which I would if I was their AD and saw Fouts. dry.gif

Guest GrayEagleOne

actually collecting from other school's message boards and athletic websites, this is what the tenative schedule looks like as of now:

9/2 @ UT

9/9 vs. SMU

9/16 @ Tulsa

9/23 OPEN

9/30 vs. MTSU

10/7 @ ASU

10/14 OPEN

10/21 vs. FIU

10/28 @ Troy

11/4 vs. LA Tech

11/11 @ ULL

11/18 vs. FAU

11/25 @ ULM

I couldn't find a site with the ASU game date, but I would assume it would be 10/7 since ASU has games on 9/23 and 10/14 already scheduled. The conference schedule is officially released by the Sun Belt on March 1st, so it's anyone's guess if these dates will stick.

See post above and from other sources....the ULM game is on 9-23; not 11/25. If BYU is the 12th game, it will likely be played on 10/14. Troy is scheduled for 10/7 and our open date is 10/28.

The attendance at the Cotton Bowl was poor and so were we. If we ever played at the Cotton Bowl again, I would only want to go during the State Fair. But, why not Texas Stadium? We have seldom drawn less than 20,000 there and, with the large Mormon population in the Metroplex, could easily draw 25-30,000 (if we happen to beat SMU). I don't know current deals but we used to get Texas Stadium free but TS got the parking and concessions. We need some "home" games (at least where we don't have to travel overnight) to try to get and OOC win and help build our fan base.

See post above and from other sources....the ULM game is on 9-23; not 11/25.  If BYU is the 12th game, it will likely be played on 10/14.  Troy is scheduled for 10/7 and our open date is 10/28.

Troy game:

http://www.troytrojans.com/index.php?s=&ch...l_channel_id=15

ULM game:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/indianinsid...ages?msg=6275.1

Conference schedule will be announced on March 1st officially and these dates on those websites are just tentative right now.

Actually, there is a very large Mormon population in this area, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were a good turnout for a game in Denton. I'm not sure how many of them like football, but my guess is that they'd show up to support the school.

Can we expect all the Methodist in the area to show up for the SMU game ? smile.gif