NT Football - Down Memory Lane

DeepGreen

eulesseagle provided a link on the basketball board of old Yucca BB photos from the 1960's. If you page through the photos there are some great photos of Mean Green sports. A couple of noteworthy comments, the nighttime football action photo of Joe Greene(#75) was from the Arkansas game in Little Rock. Great road trip!! In the same photo was #45 James Ivey I believe.

Also, please notice the fans crowded around Joe Greene in the old Snake Pit. Good basketball crowds in those days.

Enjoy!

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Am I the only one who likes the old NT logo on the helmets?  Not so much inside the football, but the lettering looks kind of cool.  I also like the big stripe down the middle with the numbers on the back on the helmet.

I love that helmet logo, and I agree that the lettering is cool. Kind of a NY Jets type thing going. Looks great. smile.gif

Thanks for this important part of NT football history, eulesseagle and Phil...

Hey LongJim, that Arkansas team in the 1968 photo with our Mean Green would play your Texas Longhorns for the NCAA National FB Championship the next Fall. Of course, we Texans all know who won that one, now don't we? }:>)

That photo of the 1968 NORTH TEXAS/Arkansas Razorback game (which we "barely" lost & yet to another bad SWC referee call according to our good friend the late, great Ron Shanklin, God rest his soul); anyway, all this just more prime examples of where we have been with this Mean Green football program "3" different times in the modern history of NCAA football.

All the aforementioned high profile competitivess is also just where we need Mean Green football to be once again very soon, without the delays that obvious favoritism shown by some NT leadership toward selected NT athletic personnel is preventing such advancement OR...........petty campus politics and huge ego trips from some NT employees or officials who won't be around here in 10 years to even give a damn about what they left behind. <>*<> Some of that group won't give a damn their first 10 minutes off the UNT payroll and we all sorta' can guess who some of that group would be.

Many NT Exes and posters on www.GoMeanGreen.com (and well beyond) won't be content until present University of North Texas leaders get all their "Eagles in a Row" to give us leadership that will give Mean Green football a realistic and legitimate chance to regain our past "higher profile" football glories to get us back in the mainstream of NCAA D1-A. Such glories that a school with our enormous (and growing) constituency deserves; and especially in this new millenium where marked progress from high profile successes of our past would ordinarily be the expected norm by any collegiate constituency.

Such Mean Green football success that actually began with the Abner Haynes-led Mean Green football team of the the 1950's leading to the Mean Joe Greene era of the 1960's, the Hayden Fry era of the 1970's and a few scatterred successes in the 1980's and 1990's.

So we do have a proud football legacy at UNT to uphold for those who think otherwise or those who would try to tell you that we don't to suit their agendas.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

L. J. didn't want an "NT" logo on the helmet because he didn't think it stood for North Texas.  We had NT on the helmets almost as long as he's been L. J.    mad.gif

Glad I'm not the only one who really likes that logo.

I'm tellin' ya. Throw back jersey game and use those jerseys and helmet.

---The "Snake Pit" was a fun place during the 60's and especially the weekday games and getting a seat meant showing up early. Those were the days that we had Louisville, Cincinnati and the all the MVC teams coming in. I even remember the top ten containing 5 MVC teams at one time.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

What team is in the 3rd photo?

I love the "NT" on the helmet.  Go get the mini.

I believe as I recall years ago looking at a similar photo in a "Yucca" (former name of NT yearbook) that that opponent may have been Cincinatti. Only thing is I think it was raining during that entire game from what some "old timers" have told me. }:>)