DMN Recruiting Chat

Eagle-96

Excerpts from questions asked during the Dallas Morning News Chat with Todd Wills:

Drew: Why does NT coach Dickey keep all recruiting news and info so quiet? What do you expect from North Texas this year?

Todd Wills: North Texas is like some other local schools (are you there, SMU?). They just quietly go along, recruit the players they want to recruit and take their time to make sure they are getting the best players for their programs. It's not like they are really competing with Texas, A&M, OU, Tech... It's hard to argue with Dickey's success. He's taken UNT to several bowl games and been able to recruit some nice players. I'd say to any North Texas fan, don't worry.

Drew: How much does the new athletic center at North Texas help in the recruiting process? What players do you know of that North Texas is in on, and what are the chances?

Todd Wills: I'm sure it's a big plus. I haven't talked in North Texas coaches about it, but nice facilities are usually a big bonus in the recruiting game. North Texas has a lot of names out there. It just missed on Denton LB Anthony Sowe, who committed to SMU last weekend. But how about this name -- Euless Trinity QB Trevor Vittatoe. Word is he wants to play at North Texas and he did just lead his team to a state title.

Drew: What do yoy think of the 4 mid-term jucos signed by North Texas. And how are things going for Dickey and staff?

Todd Wills: There was some buzz over the signing of 6-2, 290-pound offensive lineman Trent Stanley out of Coffeyville Community College in Kansas. He was second-team JUCO All-American. Louisiana Tech had offered him and Kansas State liked him. As for Dickey and his staff, I don't think you can say anything but good things about them. They have turned North Texas into a winning program.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was surprised that he ansered 1 yet alone all 3 of my questions. This was my first time in that chat but had read transcripts before and its usually UT,A$M,UT,Tech, and more UT. So big ups to Todd for answering.

What do we know about Trevor Vittatoe? Is he someone who could come in here and help?

Edited by H-towngreen

I was surprised that he ansered 1 yet alone all 3 of my questions. This was my first time in that chat but had read transcripts before and its usually UT,A$M,UT,Tech, and more UT. So big ups to Todd for answering.

What do we know about Trevor Vittatoe? Is he someone who could come in here and help?

Here are Vittatoe's stats for his senior season:

Passing: 75-129(58.1%) 1999 yards 20 TD, 4 INT

Rushing: 53 carries for 118 yards(2.2 ypc) 8 TD

Keep in mind that Trinity's top 2 rushers combined for 4333 yards.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Channel 8, I believe, did a special on Vittatoe about six weeks ago and he was impressive. He is not real smooth and he's a little slow (4.9) but he's very effective. He's big and hard for highschoolers to bring down. He seems tailor-made for the type of offense Dickey runs. Although he looks to have a strong arm, I didn't see any long passes in the video. He did look accurate on the short passes; seems to have a quick release. I thought that he made good decisions and his TD/interception rate seems to bear that out.

Brad Kassell was a high school quarterback who ended up as a pretty good linebacker (he was considered to be a step to slow). This kid looks like he has good size and a lot of motivation. I hope we give him a shot. If he doesn't pan out as a QB he might be able to play another position.

Vittatoe was a very strong leader and QB for the Trojans this year. He looked poised and didn't seem to get rattled and he runs the ball extremely tough when he has to tuck it and ran over people during the state championship game. I would be impressed if we get him. But I first want a top DT first and foremost. That is the key this year.

Rick

Guest GrayEagleOne

Rival had his 40 at 4.7. But whats an extra .2 seconds. Youre right as his TD/INT really stands out.

The 4.9 information came from Texas Football which by now is a year old. It's possible that he improved his speed and that would be a point in his favor.

I saw Vittatoe play 7 times this year. He comes from a Dickey-style offense at Trinity. Almost all of his passes came off of play action. He has a tremendous arm and throws the deep ball really well. He's coming off a season where he averaged over 25 yards per completion because the guys he was throwing to were so wide open. He can escape the pocket and seems to throw well on the run but I wouldn't call him a dual-threat.

I've never seen Carson Coffman play except for looking at the rivals video...but purely looking at stats, Trevor is more accurate, makes bigger plays (or his recievers do), and throws less picks. Coffman does have Vittatoe beat in state championships won.

One technical aspect of their games I would compare is that Coffman kind of slings from the hip (kind of like Vince Young). Vittatoe has a better, more traditional throwing motion.

Long story short, I'm not saying I don't want Coffman...get him in here! But I love love love Trevor Vittatoe and it would really comfort me to see him in Green.

I work with the aunt of Trevor Vitatoe. After reading the start of this thread earlier in the day I asked her if he had heard from North Texas. She sent him a text message. He replied that he has not heard from North Texas.

He is going to UTEP on an official visit the weekend of January 21st.

I work with the aunt of Trevor Vitatoe.  After reading the start of this thread earlier in the day I asked her if he had heard from North Texas.  She sent him a text message.  He replied that he has not heard from North Texas.

.......and I'd be willing to bet that Jonathan Ieans will still be on the roster this spring and fall.

Guest JohnDenver

I work with the aunt of Trevor Vitatoe.  After reading the start of this thread earlier in the day I asked her if he had heard from North Texas.  She sent him a text message.  He replied that he has not heard from North Texas.

Sickens and disgustifies me. ph34r.gif