DRC today NT trying to figure out what went wrong

OldTimer

UNT trying to figure out what went wrong in '05

07:43 AM CST on Monday, November 28, 2005

By BRETT VITO / Staff Writer

There was no post-game celebration, no bowl game invitation.

No national rushing championship.

When North Texas' season came to an end on Saturday in a loss to Arkansas State, there was only a much-needed final wakeup call for a program that failed to live up to expectations in a dramatic fashion this season.

Just a few months ago, UNT was the trendy pick to win a fifth straight Sun Belt Conference title behind a pair of former national rushing champions in Patrick Cobbs and Jamario Thomas.

So what went wrong in a 2-9 season?

UNT head coach Darrell Dickey pointed to the little things.

Gary Payne / DRC

North Texas wide receiver Brandon Jackson (right) is tackled by Louisiana-Lafayette's Johnny Felders during their Nov. 5 game at Fouts Field. "We need to be on time to meetings, be 100 percent in the offseason and take care of business off of the field," Dickey said. "We need to do the little things in practice."

At times this season, the Mean Green looked as if they thought they would stroll to the Sun Belt title and a berth in the New Orleans Bowl simply because the name on their helmets read "North Texas", even if it was in a different font this year.

That wasn't the way UNT operated in previous seasons when players like Andy Brewster, Cody Spencer and Chris Hurd helped lead the Mean Green to four straight conference titles.

When UNT struggled early along the offensive line last year, Brewster got the players together and fixed the problem.

Hurd always seemed to know where the ball was headed because he lived in the film room, studying the next week's opponent.

When the Mean Green lost a key player, there always seemed to be a new, talented recruit waiting in the wings to take over.

That wasn't the case this season when the Mean Green's failure to maintain focus over the last year came back to haunt them in dramatic fashion.

UNT finished the season on a six-game losing streak and at the bottom of the Sun Belt standings for the first time since the league formed in 2001. When the Mean Green look back it will be some of the little things they will see that proved costly.

UNT had a punt return for a touchdown called back by a needless personal foul penalty against ASU and lost by a touchdown.

The Mean Green finished the season ranked seventh among the eight teams in the Sun Belt Conference in penalty yards with an average of 74.3 yards per game.

In a season that UNT lost five conference games by a total of 21 points, those yards proved critical.

UNT lost potential starters at quarterback and along the defensive line to eligibility issues before the season started and finished last in the Sun Belt in passing offense and rushing defense.

UNT brought in one of its most highly regarded recruiting classes in several years in 2004, but didn't plug enough holes in its lineup with its 2005 class. Several of UNT's freshmen could turn out to be impact players later in their careers, but the Mean Green didn't get the immediate help they needed at quarterback or in the interior of its defensive line.

Dickey vowed to examine what went wrong in the next few days and find a way to fix what ailed the Mean Green this season.

At least one new assistant coach will join the staff in the offseason to replace running backs coach/recruiting coordinator Bruce Bell, who is retiring in February.

A whole new class of recruits will commit to the Mean Green this winter.

What will be more important than any of those new additions is how UNT responds to a terrible season.

UNT will return several of the same players and unless something unforeseen happens, basically the same coaching staff.

Whether UNT bounces back or not will depend on if the Mean Green can regain their focus and their edge over the next few months.

"We have a lot of evaluation to do, both from a coaching and players perspective," Dickey said. "We have a lot of work to do between now and the beginning of next season."

• • •

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

UNT brought in one of its most highly regarded recruiting classes in several years in 2004, but didn't plug enough holes in its lineup with its 2005 class.

We did? Compared to who, Mr. Vito?

Jeez! It must be in the drinking water up there. blink.gif

GOD BLESS TEXAS!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

UNT brought in one of its most highly regarded recruiting classes in several years in 2004, but didn't plug enough holes in its lineup with its 2005 class.

We did?  Compared to who, Mr. Vito?  Jeez!  It must be in the drinking water up there. blink.gif

GOD BLESS TEXAS!

Sounds like Vito is only talking about Jamario since he is the only one off-hand who has made a great impact, I am sure that I am missing some players though.

Sounds like Vito is only talking about Jamario since he is the only one off-hand who has made a great impact, I am sure that I am missing some players though.

Daniel Meager-QB

Brandon Jackson-S

TJ Covington-CB***

Deavin Cox-CB

Colt Mahan-OLB

Travis Thompson-ILB

Brandon Monroe-ILB

Tye Rexrode-QB

Thomas Pratt-RB

Jamario Thomas-RB***

Roy Covington-WR

Brock Stickler-WR

Brady Hartman-OT

Chad Rose-C

Jermiah Chapman-S

Isaac Thomas-DT

Micah West-DT

All recruits were rated at least two stars.

Daniel Meager-QB

Brandon Jackson-S

TJ Covington-CB***

Deavin Cox-CB

Colt Mahan-OLB

Travis Thompson-ILB

Brandon Monroe-ILB

Tye Rexrode-QB

Thomas Pratt-RB

Jamario Thomas-RB***

Roy Covington-WR

Brock Stickler-WR

Brady Hartman-OT

Chad Rose-C

Jermiah Chapman-S

Isaac Thomas-DT

Micah West-DT

All recruits were rated at least two stars.

It doesn't matter if they were rated four stars if they disappear, (or leave after a dispute with the coaching staff) shortly after arriving on campus. I'm not sure if Pratt even made to campus or not. Brady Hartman lasted about a year. I don't know who Jeramiah Chapman is, and I haven't seen anything of Rexrode, or west lately. For that matter, I haven't seen anything of Ryan Davenport who transfered from the Air Force Academy last year.

I also noticed that there was someone who was NOT Arthur Stubblefield wearing #15 on the sideline last Saturday.

Can someone please explain to me what is with all of that black crap on Chapmans arms?  That looks terrible... this team cares more about how it looks than how it plays!!!!!!  mad.gif

Wow. That was baseless.

Looks like compression wrappings to me, but I could be wrong.

You generally wear those types of wraps to prevent overuse injuries, and I know Dlinemen have alot of hand technique they use.

Cerebus... please explain to me how those help? Looks like a bunch of fluff to me. Covington wore the same thing. Reminds me of back in high school how some people put tape on their arms and facemask and all just too look 'cool'.

Ok I'll go out and say it... that stuff serves no purpose whatsoever. Its all looks.

Edited by ipEAGLE

Cerebus... please explain to me how those help?  Looks like a bunch of fluff to me.

I'm not an expert on it. Maybe some of the guys who are trainers and read this board can give you a better explanation of the mechanics involved.

From what I understand, its the same reason Lance Armstrong wears compression shorts, or typists where those spandex hand wraps. The compression somehow or other offers better support and guards against over use (repeated motion) injuries.

I spoke with one of the trainers last year about the bands above the elbows (Johnny Quinn wears them) and I was given a reason why they wear them, but I have forgotten it.

However, I do understand the general feeling by experts is "compression garments are good for you" much like I don't understand the full workings of an internal combustion engine, but I understand the experts general feeling is "putting metal shavings in the gas tank is bad". smile.gif

Cerebus... please explain to me how those help?  Looks like a bunch of fluff to me.  Covington wore the same thing.  Reminds me of back in high school how some people put tape on their arms and facemask and all just too look 'cool'.

Ok I'll go out and say it... that stuff serves no purpose whatsoever.  Its all looks.

It's not fluff.

As an ex-lineman in college and high school I can tell you that protection is needed. Pads, bands, etc. have become more stylish. Yes, some are overused but generally it serves a purpose.

You'd be crazy not to use at least gloves and forearm protection.

I agree with gloves... but the black "under armor" on the arms is to protect from turf burn.  The last time I checked we got rid of that last yr.

That's still plastic on the field. Sliding across is it is still not what I would consider fun.

It is 100 times better than falling on the lightly padded concrete we used to have.

I agree with gloves... but the black "under armor" on the arms is to protect from turf burn.  The last time I checked we got rid of that last yr.

Not only turf burn but contact with other players. Pads, facemasks, and cleets/turf shoes can do tons of damage. Having your arms stepped on by a 300lb player is no fun..