Bad news for RF haters

emmitt01

I admit that I'm no RF fan, lover or apologist. I am though concerned about the hit we could/would take in recruiting if he were to go. Not that I think he has brought in a wealth of talent over the years but continuity is at a premium at a time when we are looking to pick ourselves up off the ground next season.

I'll give you an example. Remember the QB Carson Coffman that we were all talking about wanting to sign. Guess who is listed as doing the recruiting on this kid? Yep, our very own offensive genius Ramon "asleep at the wheel" Flanigan.

Baylor offensive coordinator resigns

03:41 PM CST on Wednesday, November 23, 2005

From Staff Reports

Baylor offensive coordinator Brent Pease resigned his position to pursue other coaching opportunities, head coach Guy Morriss announced Wednesday.

Pease served as Morriss' offensive coordinator at Kentucky for two seasons.

"I have enjoyed my three years at Baylor but feel now is the time to pursue other coaching opportunities," said Pease.

This text is invisible on the page, but this text is affected by the invisible item's flow. This text is invisible on the page, but this text is affected by the invisible item's flow.

Hmmm

I would love to have that Baylor guy here, we would own.

We probaly wouldnt be able to nab the kid anyways.

Did anyone watch WMU/BG today? I really dont think either school has superior talent to us, I think the problem lies within the coaching staff.

Right on. This is a DD thing, not a RF thing...as far as recruiting goes.

I would love to have that Baylor guy here, we would own.

We probaly wouldnt be able to nab the kid anyways.

Did anyone watch WMU/BG today? I really dont think either school has superior talent to us, I think the problem lies within the coaching staff.

I watched the WMU/NIU game... and NIU may, I really like that team right now, and they have been getting quality wins over D1 opponents.

I dunno...Just add a little diet Coke and who knows.

If a man and woman get married in Arkansas, move to Oklahoma and get a divorce, are they still brother and sister ?

GO MEAN GREEN

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way Emmitt, I don't see how it could damage our recruiting any more than it did last year around this same time. Who did SE Louisiana decide for that head coaching job anyways? Anyone know? I know they were replacing Hal Mumme, but never heard who they got?

Rick

I believe recruiting is at an all time high for this program. Man for Man we have more talent and speed than we ever did. I dont believe that is a result of any efforts by RF? I think Darrell Dickey has made the difference there. ( I know I would want to play for a four-time conference coach of the year, and a program that has just gone to FOUR straight bowl games. Those rings on Johnny Quinn's fingers looked pretty good at the football banquet. The weakness has been signing offensive linemen with pure size? I dont thnk Ramon Flannigan helps us there either? I guess he could tell OL's that he calls "Guard-Elligible" pass plays on 3rd and 25, but if they have attended any games...they will already know better.

I'm on record as wanting Darrell Dickey to remain our head coach, and that has not changed. My hope is Flanny goes away before the spring...I dont care how, and we bring in ERIC PEGRAM as the OC, or someone like him who knows multiple offensive passing schemes. The man has NFL skins on the wall and would be a fantastic recruiter!!! He has shown real interest, and I think he could do it. The real question is how to get Flanny to walk away? (The man seems bullet-proof and will not likely be fired) I've got it... Tell him the AAD (Alum Atheletic Director...Emmitt Jackson) will be "assisting" him with the play calling in the spring? I'll be waiting outside with a pre-paid bus ticket to SMU.

Can you say "Bub-bye babyyyyyyyyyyy"

GMG!!!

I believe recruiting is at an all time high for this program. Man for Man we have more talent and speed than we ever did. I dont believe that is a result of any efforts by RF? I think Darrell Dickey has made the difference there. ( I know I would want to play for a four-time conference coach of the year, and a program that has just gone to FOUR straight bowl games. Those rings on Johnny Quinn's fingers looked pretty good at the football banquet. The weakness has been signing offensive linemen with pure size? I dont thnk Ramon Flannigan helps us there either? I guess he could tell OL's that he calls "Guard-Elligible" pass plays on 3rd and 25, but if they have attended any games...they will already know better.

I'm on record as wanting Darrell Dickey to remain our head coach, and that has not changed. My hope is Flanny goes away before the spring...I dont care how, and we bring in ERIC PEGRAM as the OC, or someone like him who knows multiple offensive passing schemes. The man has NFL skins on the wall and would be a fantastic recruiter!!! He has shown real interest, and I think he could do it. The real question is how to get Flanny to walk away? (The man seems bullet-proof and will not likely be fired) I've got it... Tell him the AAD (Alum Atheletic Director...Emmitt Jackson) will be "assisting" him with the play calling in the spring? I'll be waiting outside with a pre-paid bus ticket to SMU.

Can you say "Bub-bye babyyyyyyyyyyy"

GMG!!!

But medpilot21, you are accepting of "butt in the arse" losses to..........Tulsa University, Louisiana Tech, and generic black for 2 schools not yet fully D1-A, ie, Florida Atlantic U and Florida International Airport U (although not a loss, with 8 fumbles we barely beat a team that has only been open for business 5 years, just like FAU)?!?! blink.gif

What was that old rock song: Blinded By the Light?!?!?

All this with DD is just way too strange a scenario for this college football fan, it really is. sad.gif

GOD BLESS TEXAS!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

But medpilot21, you are accepting of "butt in the arse" losses to..........Tulsa University, Louisiana Tech, and generic black for 2 schools not yet fully D1-A, ie, Florida Atlantic U and Florida International Airport U (although not a loss, with 8 fumbles we barely beat a team that has only been open for business 5 years, just like FAU)?!?! blink.gif

What was that old rock song: Blinded By the Light?!?!?

All this with DD is just way too strange a scenario for this college football fan, it really is. sad.gif

GOD BLESS TEXAS!

Why does everyone who doesn't want to see Dickey gone this year have to listen to this argument?

NO ONE ACCEPTS LOSING.

Just because I don't think Dickey should get fired after this year, I must like to accept getting our butts whipped to Tulsa and La Tech and La State and FAU...

I'm sorry plumm, but if that's what you are saying, I can't see any validity to your point.

It might be that I am missing the point too, there's a lot of words in that post. I might have missed something.

Why does everyone who doesn't want to see Dickey gone this year have to listen to this argument?

Why does everyone who doesnt want to see dd back have to hear the "you're not a loyal fan" or "you are just a bandwagoner" argument?

Why do they have to hear the "just wait till we get a new stadium, after 2k9" argument?

Why do they have to listen to the "we're a young team" argument?

Hehe.. since we are doing the "why's" thing. Why does Plummer post in colors that make my monitor go "BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"

I would love to respond to PMG's entry, but that yellow made my pupils close to almost nothing... and now I cant see the letters on my keyboard? I think I can finish by feel... S0 pl8mm3r, I th9ng that we should 66kihoylk and wellrpptt if we can. I know y0u wan5 kkepdp to play qpplienvy.

Hope that h3lbs????

GQZ!!! biggrin.gif

We dont want the BAYLOR OC...Baylor is uuhhh not good--Remember!

We dont want Eric Pegram as the OC...has he ever been a coach anywhere!

We do however want an OC that will have his own philosphy...maybe one built in the mold of a Mike Leach? How about making an offer to TT QB Coach?

Just a thought...

NO ONE ACCEPTS LOSING.

Just because I don't think Dickey should get fired after this year, I must like to accept getting our butts whipped to Tulsa and La Tech and La State and FAU...

I'm sorry plumm, but if that's what you are saying, I can't see any validity to your point.

It might be that I am missing the point too, there's a lot of words in that post.  I might have missed something.

YOU WANT THE TRUTH? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH! (I know, a bit over-used) cool.gif

(Honestly, not much more can be said of the DD years at UNT)

Too long to read once again? Then just skip to the bottom to the Epilogue.

39-54 in "8" years and no real signs of this thing turning 180% in light of what we saw this Fall and what will be next Fall's improved SBC teams and OOC foes back on the schedule that we weren't even close to on the scoreboard. Wait for SMU to come to town. It will not be pretty in light of how they have improved (and we are bogged down in the Bottom 10-oriented SBC). So after 2 or 3 wins in 2006, do we continue to further reward Darrell Dickey with a 2007 season to further create more differential with his career W/L record at UNT? This is not the UNT I got on board with as a student during Fry's 1'st year in Denton, it's just not even close anymore. sad.gif

Dickey has done a superiour job in creating "bottom of the lower rung" apathy that even his W/L in 8 years of playing Bottom 10 schools is now acceptable to some of you; and you who I have to wonder what your own expectations of this school's football program has now become. Has DD taken you down to his level, too? ph34r.gif

DD's kind of record at any other NCAA D1-A school after 8 years would not be allowed to happen, but of course, NT has (among many) long had the the reputation of being an EZ retirement spot for average athletic employees inasmuch as we have a women's basketball coach in her 17'th year at UNT who is nowhere near .500 in W/L's. Which one of you Stepford Eagles wants to explain that total abomination and shameful record for a school that allegedly aspires higher expectations? They can't say one thing and do another (and that is exactly what they are doing @ UNT now).

In fact, who will volunteer to answer this: Why is that in my 30 plus years of being a pretty decent UNT fan, the largest majority of those I've seen come and go thru the UNT athletic department have rarely gone to higher places other than UNT; although I believe a handful of present NT support staff will probably upgrade one day. No one seems to ever have a viable answer to the prior question, though, a question I've been asking for a long time now. IMHO, I think many times it has to do with very poor hiring practices at UNT. How many coaches in all UNT varsity sports right now are above .500? Case closed.

Once more of this kind of info becomes even more ingrained and public knowledge with the NT community, some will actually stop investing time and money into this kind of bullshit mode of operation the UNT BOR's chairman seems to have rubber-stamped. Yet at UNT, we get even extra free help, our elect has allowed its BOR chairman an unusual & enormous amount of control (compared to most NCAA D1-A schools who sorta' let their Athletic Directors run the show)? ohmy.gif But I suppose Bobby Ray feels our UNT AD needs the extra help. Many of us don't think Rick V needs the extra help at all.

Strange as it may be, I can never, ever remember ever seeing or hearing about our present NT BOR chairman at any UNT football game in the 30 plus years I've followed this, that is, until he became an NT Board of Regent. Who knows, maybe he was out of state or across the Big Pond making his millions during that time; but now, he's in Denton, Texas, Amercia, running UNT athletics, and with the supposed closeness with the NT head football coach, we will never get an objective job evaluation from him. Who will decide when enough is enough?sad.gif Wonder if Mr. Ray has looked off campus, outside Denton, outside the Metroplex, outside the Lone Star State and (then) outside the Bottom 10/SBC to see just where this product is now standing after 8 years of Darrell Dickey?

Some supporters will eventually see thru much of this carnival we have with NT football and will cease payments to UNT in attempts to try to make indelible impressions with those on campus who seem to cannot see the forest for the trees. The numerous successful business people on the UNT Board of Regents who run our school wouldn't (I'm sure) ever begin to think of allowing some we've had in charge of various varsity sports teams at UNT ever run their own business, unless they want a lot of red ink.

Now those who support a coach who this year has proven to many is in a job way over his head I am curious as to what their own goals are for UNT football? Dickey is I'm sure a nice feller and this has never had to do anything with the person, but just look at the guy's college football resume' before he (very easily without much effort at all) left one year as SMU's O/C to get the UNT job because of (basically) 2 people with Kansas State U connections?

After that KSU hiring coup at UNT, our "then" BOR's just apparently rubber-stamped the whole thing w/o obviously doing any reserach of their own; they just merely took (then) UNT AD Craig Helwig's word on it and in light of all the facade that has now been lifted because of the poor league, ie, the SBC/Bottom 10. whats the difference? Now with all disguises lifted, what many feared to be veiled success is beginning to prove just that as all has reared its ugly head in this football season of 2005. . Yet all this didn't just fall apart overnight as this football program has been spiralling downward for 3-4 years now as we compare our recruiting to schools like La Tech and Tulsa U.

So for 4 years UNT (for all practical purposes) backed into bowl games because SBC/Bottom 10 schools of which many of that group of new SBC schools were just out of NCAA 1-AA classificaton, but that new group of newly classified NCAA D1-A schools just didn't get every ball to bounce their way as they did our direction during our 4 bowl years. That would have been quite a story had UNT been in the Big 12 or even CUSA or the WAC, but we were not; we were in the "low profile" Sun Belt during those 4 bowl years of which most of its members (including our own alma mater now) hovers in or around the NCAA D1-A Bottom 10 annually and has done that for each year SBC football has existed.

SHOOTING FISH IN A BARRELL? Hellsbells, so why don't we just put our men's varsity basketball team in with the Lone Star Conference and see if they, too, can start getting some post season play as well? Thats' what we've basically been doing with football. More proof? Again, look at how many SBC schools were 1-AA within the last 6 years? Look at 2 of them that didn't have football 6 years ago? Look how many of that group have beaten DD's football teams, too, starting with FAU (2 losses in a row with what will be a third this time next year). Schnellenberger could have a bad team, but he would still (as before) out-coach Darrell Dickey which would give his team an unprecedented 3'rd win over football program that has been in business about 90 plus years longer than FAU's.

What part of any of this (thus far) is incorrect to any of you who support Dickey Ball and Dickey/SBC success?

Anyone who wants more of Dicky Ball, DD radio broadcasted fan bashing and DD mediocrity will eventually have sections of Fouts Field to themselves. And last week's Homecoming crowd whatever the true "butts in seats" count really was? Come on now, the region has dramatically grown, the freshmen classes have grown each of the last 6 years and 90 year old alums even show for NT Homecoming games. Lets not be deceived on that, too. We are already in the middle of one of the NCAA's biggest deceptions and lies (of disguised success) in the 40 years I've followed college football--and that's no lie.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

EPILOGUE: The part of this concerning DD's leadership that still concerns me the most is that when I hear many of our elect wanting to see DD turn all this around, they still (mostly) only talk in terms of just getting back to the top of the SBC/Bottom 10; with rarely any mention of going to the next level and being competitive to the point of actually winning with the very group DD has yet to be successful with in his 8 years at UNT, ie, our OOC foes. Of course, one could ask this question: Is DD's annual recruiting we've seen thus far designed to take UNT beyond the Sun Belt and to the next level? I think the answer to that question should (after 8 years) be obvious to all, even NT leadership who a growing army of supporters are beginning to feel are being quite relunctant to see all this themselves, least of all admit to any of the realities of the situation.

GOD BLESS TEXAS!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen