Call me what you will, but I have simply lost

gangrene

I guess I was foolish to believe the pre-season hype that this year's version of the Mean Green would repeat as SBC champs and that the tandem of PC and JT would be virtually unstoppable....but I did. I had high expectations of winning 2 or 3 OOC games, sweeping the SBC and winning the NO Bowl for the second time. In hindsight, to say those expectations were too high is a massive understatement.

I've attended more UNT games this year (both home and away) than I have in the past 10 years. I'm a UNT alumn and support the school every chance I get, but I am also a huge college football fan. While sitting in the stands watching our boring offense committ penalty after penalty, getting in 4th and 50 situations and turn the ball over time after time, I missed some exciting and GREAT NCAA college football games. I'm extremely frustrated and disappointed with the results this season and I've decided it's time to move on.

This love-hate relationship just isn't working for me. Every time I had hopes that the old flame could be rekindled, something else happened to slap me in face and bring me back to reality. Listening and watching the Mean Green will be a hard habit to break , but I'm going to attempt it because the Mean Green are no good for me this season. I'm not one who looks for moral victories and minor improvements. This season has been mentally anguishing for me and I have to take drastic measures before I go into severe depression.

So I'm doing it. I'm ending it right now. I'm cutting myself off from attending, watching on TV (do we even have any TV games left this season?) and listening to UNT games on the radio. I'm sure I'll still see the score updates on the ticker, but I will restrain myself from turning on the Radio. My self-imposed ban on UNT football will remain in effect until February 1, 2006...the day in which I hope to see a good class of fresh recruits.

Seriously...I've grown so disinterested and disgusted with this year's team that it IS painful to follow. Call me a bandwagoner, or whatever else you choose...but I've had enough for this year. I've got better things to invest my time in so I've done what many on this board have suggested...I've lowered my expectations. Frankly, I don't care if we win another game this season because it really doesn't matter. I was really pissed at a pre-season comment a Texas Tech alumn and friend of mine said when he told me that UNT has nothing to play for (completely dismissing the NO Bowl as a reward). Now, I believe we really do have nothing to play for except experience so we won't have endure that "we're too young" crap excuse again next year.

I have no ill will toward any of the coaches or any of the players. I have no opinion as to what should happen with the coaching staff at season's end. I really don't care at this point. I want our program to improve by leaps and bounds but I believe we've taken a MAJOR step backwards this year.

I've taken off my green-tinted glasses for this football season, but I'll put them back on for all other sports. GO WOMEN'S SOCCER TEAM...BEAT THE HELL OUTTA SMU!!!!

Now I'm going to follow the BCS and hope to see one of the all-time best Championship matchups between UT and USC.

Why is it necessary to announce departure? No one needs permission to go.

Excellent point. No need to call attention to yourself, just leave.

"Your team is like your kids. You don't love them because they are good, you love them because they are yours."

I too have been depressed about the team this year. I too wore the green-tinted glasses. I too drank the green Kool-Aid. I too am frustrated with the coaching staff. BUT I WILL NOT ABANDON THIS TEAM, THIS SCHOOL, OR THIS MEAN GREEN WAY OF LIFE.

GO MEAN GREEN

BTW:

No way you will be able to stop listening to and watching the Mean Green. It's an addiction that is worse than heroin.

Edited by Eagle-96

Pollock, gangrene and green grenade,

You guys remind me of the three pranksters in Scent of a Woman. It's really easy to kick someone when they are down. Leave and don't come back. And Pollock, why don't you take that quote of Brad Kassell off because he would probably want to kick your a$$ to if he read how you not only abandoned the Mean Green, but did so loudly. Do you think him and Cody are to ashamed to tell people where they are from.

What should be the question is how to we keep the bandwagon fans coming and get more fans interested.

We can not afford to lose fans our base is not big enough, and if gangrene feels this way you can bet there are hundreds like him if not more.

These kind of fans make me sick!  When we are good again (next season) I don't want you to think about coming back.

That's right - anyone annoyed with this season don't come back and buy tickets or donate or anything. You had your chance. The hardcores will just up their donations and support to cover for you I am sure as they give you the finger!

Screw you rolleyes.gif

Hey, to be honest I have a part of me that is disappointed but we are rebuilding. I mean every team is down from time to time. We are a young program with Div 1 only a few years. Look at the long term. Do you really think a State School with over 30,000 students will falter. No. Just know there will be seasons like this and we are on the grow. I welcome you back anytime. Our fanbase is a good one and I like your spirit. Come visit our camp at Homecoming and let me tell you of the story of the future. The Mean Green futrure is very bright and you can say I remember my 226th post was one of angst and disdain. I was dillusional! I do love the Mean Green and will never falter again. When there was only one set of footprints it was I "EEALLY" who carried you.

You will be back..............

Sorry to hear that... but you are welcomed back.

Guy, this is not UT... we need all the fans we can get.

We do need all the fans we can get. It's just disappointing for someone here to just walk away for the rest of the season. People on this board have extremely different opinions. The one common thread is that we all (most) seem to love the Mean Green and show our support even if the team is losing, even if we hate the coach, and even if a coach attacks a fan. We need fair weather fans. They will put 30,000 in the stands some day. We are going to dip some years, but we need that core group to grow. If someone is going to come on here and basically say, "hey, it was fun while it lasted, see you when we are good again," then they should be blasted. Just don't expect most of the guys on here that a small part of them dies every time we lose a game to be sympathetic.

You guys remind me of the three pranksters in Scent of a Woman.  It's really easy to kick someone when they are down.  Leave and don't come back.  And Pollock, why don't you take that quote of Brad Kassell off because he would probably want to kick your a$$ to if he read how you not only abandoned the Mean Green, but did so loudly.  Do you think him and Cody are to ashamed to tell people where they are from.

I'm not abandoning anything, Koscratch. rolleyes.gif

If we don't improve between now and next year, SMU will probably beat us. Just making a prediction on the outcome of the game and the reaction of our fanbase.

The movie reference is lost on me, as I probably haven't seen that since it first hit the video store. I'm almost curious enough to watch it again............. or not.

You guys remind me of the three pranksters in Scent of a Woman.  It's really easy to kick someone when they are down.  Leave and don't come back.  And Pollock, why don't you take that quote of Brad Kassell off because he would probably want to kick your a$$ to if he read how you not only abandoned the Mean Green, but did so loudly.  Do you think him and Cody are to ashamed to tell people where they are from.

ok Ramon, get back to not planning for FAU.