Just Got back

Rudy

I got in about an hour before kickoff, so I didnt have time to tailgate. However, I didnt run into any of that famed hostile environment. Had a couple of conversations with LSU fans. Most were at least indifferent to me walking past them, a few were friendly. Seats were 50yd line right behind the team. Awesome stadium, which makes me look forward to getting our new one.

The team showed MAJOR improvment last night. I think the score makes the game seem more lopsided that it actually was. It was only 28-3 at the half, and they didnt start piling on the points until after we had a couple of drives stopped in the redzone, one of those on the LSU 1. I don't think it was as much the coaches gameplan as it was that the players may be starting to come around. Probably the funniest thing all night was when practically EVERY ref on the field threw their flags at the spot where JQ got horsecollared. Don't think Ive ever seen that, much less the authority and force the flags were thrown with.

The thing that I am most disappointed in is the lack of showing by the NT faithfull. I know alot were scared off by the hostile environment rumors. Even if it were true, so the hell what? There are tons of law enforcement inside, so you would be safe. If you get a beer thrown on you, bring an extra pair of clothes. I really don't see the reason for lack of fans there. Even if they want to taunt us, so what? We've had to put up with taunts from schools like SMU, Texas, and Oklahoma, we should be able to handle it from LSU fans.

Im not on here to call anyone out about not going, I just want to point out that I don't think its as bad as everyone thought. I may even go back to watch them play someone else sometime. But now that we know the "eat your young" rumors arent true, we will have a bigger showing there next time.

I may even have a few local LSU alums coming to visit Fouts this season.

I just want to let eveyone know that Louisiana hospitality does extend into Baton Rouge.

The thing that I am most disappointed in is the lack of showing by the NT faithfull.  I know alot were scared off by the hostile environment rumors.  Even if it were true, so the hell what?  There are tons of law enforcement inside, so you would be safe.  If you get a beer thrown on you, bring an extra pair of clothes.  I really don't see the reason for lack of fans there.  Even if they want to taunt us, so what?  We've had to put up with taunts from schools like SMU, Texas, and Oklahoma, we should be able to handle it from LSU fans. 

Im not on here to call anyone out about not going, I just want to point out that I don't think its as bad as everyone thought.  I may even go back to watch them play someone else sometime.  But now that we know the "eat your young" rumors arent true, we will have a bigger showing there next time. 

If you think this is the reason people did not come you are pretty dang naive...

And you think I'm not? blink.gif

I don't know, you went to the game so it must not bother you as much as some people. I think it's great if you went and had a good time I was just offering a better explanation than the opposing fans as to why there weren't more traveling fans...

I remember leaving the NT-UT game where we lost 27-0 glad I went and proud of how we played (especially defensively), and if we still played competitively we would have more traveling fans...

Edited by the green rokemi

But we go to games for more than just to see us win, we go to support our school.

I agree with this above statement, but when the first part (winning) is not going to happen, then I am only going to the game to support my school and I can support my school in other ways than traveling to an away game to watch us not compete...

The LSU game was in no way indicative of our fan support. North Texas sold hundreds of tickets to the game that went unused.

The game was originally scheduled for a three day weekend to open the season. The game was indefinitely postponed due to Hurricane Katrina. The Saints then scheduled an October 30 game at Tiger Stadium to play the Miami Dolphins. A Baton Rouge area that was already short on guest lodging was then entirely sold out.

By the time the North Texas - LSU game reschedule for October 29 was announced, there was no lodging available anywhere in South Central Louisiana.

The LSU fans sitting in front of us came in from San Antonio, and they were unable to get a room in Lafayette, Lake Charles, or Beaumont, and were having to go all the way back to Houston for lodging. For us, there were rooms available in Shreveport, but it seemed just as practical to continue to Dallas.

A lot of North Texas fans, even though they had already purchased $36 tickets, balked at the prospect of driving a same day round trip to Baton Rouge and back.

Just because we don't go to an out of town game that does not mean we don't support our team. I for one support the team. But I have 12 hours of graduate school, trying to graduate this semester (we'll see), I work 16 hours a week, and am trying to find a full time job. Other people are just as busy. Plus, it is Halloween weekend. Lots of people made plans for this weekend way before the LSU game got rescheduled. So please don't go off on other fans who didn't travel to LSU with you. I am glad you went. But seriously, it isn't right for some to go off on others just because we don't travel.

Debbie, get a grip. I was not going off on anyone. I was merely pointing out the reason that most people, including the one that you stated to me, was not as bad as people made it seem.

Furthermore, I said i was disappointed that we didnt have more turn out. I did not say they were bad fans, or that I was a better fan than you.

Edited by Rudy

Just because we don't go to an out of town game that does not mean we don't support our team.  I for one support the team.  But I have 12 hours of graduate school, trying to graduate this semester (we'll see), I work 16 hours a week, and am trying to find a full time job.  Other people are just as busy.  Plus, it is Halloween weekend.  Lots of people made plans for this weekend way before the LSU game got rescheduled.  So please don't go off on other fans who didn't travel to LSU with you.  I am glad you went.  But seriously, it isn't right for some to go off on others just because we don't travel.

He didn't go off on anyone - this board is waaaaay too sensitive all the time. Its a sports board of random people making points - not myspace or friendster.

That being said, I've done the grad school/ work grind, and I could see how that could make you very snappy as you hit the second wave of exams - so we should stay out of your way until you have the diploma in hand tongue.gif

Edited by Michael Scott

Brian,

Why were you disappointed about the turnout??

And if I seemed pissed off in my first post in this thread, I am sorry. I have been doing research for a tax problem that I have to present on Wednesday. It isn't your fault, but pulling 80 hour weeks (between work, school and job hunting) is starting to really affecting me!!!! Sorry man if I made you upset.

I think the fact the date was changed had alot to do with the lack of showing by NT fans... I had 3 tix that I couldnt use because the date change conflicted with a prior engagement... originally I had a hotel room in Baton Rouge and the weekend planned out.

I think this was the case with several people. I wish I would have been able to go, but such is life.