ANOTHER MARKETING THREAD

SilverEagle

..the other day, I came across a familiar sight. A huge display of local sports gear.......HS SPORTS GEAR THAT IS. I could buy either a Boswell Pioneer baseball cap and stadium blanket OR I could get the same gear for the new High School... the Saginaw High School Rough Riders. Saginaw High School currently doesn't play a varsity sports schedule because this is their first year.

But you can get their gear! dry.gif

That's just sad.

Believe it or not but I have gotten two UNT items over the past few months at my local WALGREENS.

And each time I have picked up the item it has been the only one among a ton of OU and UT items.

Of course that might mean that they only put one out, but I doubt it.

One of them was a baseball cap and it was during off season so it had the old logo but it was official gear and the other item was one of those small green and white footballs with the new script on it.

That's just sad.

Believe it or not but I have gotten two UNT items over the past few months at my local WALGREENS.

And each time I have picked up the item it has been the only one among a ton of OU and UT items.

Of course that might mean that they only put one out, but I doubt it.

One of them was a baseball cap and it was during off season so it had the old logo but it was official gear and the other item was one of those small green and white footballs with the new script on it.

I think at NT we should fight and and try to win the little battles that we can win. Until more NT Exes or alums are buyers for major retail outlets and start suggesting to their employers that they should really be carrying Mean Green gear in these stores, I think UT and TAMU has all this wrapped up for many more years to come as they have all preceeding decades. (Like those 2 schools really need the extra help with the marketing push of all their sports gear for crissakes)? wink.gif

As I posted recently, I was at the Grand Opening (great social life out here in the boonies) at the new Hudson Oaks Wal Mart and they even had an OU display of sports gear right over near Buck the Singing & Talking Deer. No NT gear in sight.

Many of us on GMG.com have fought the good fight on this subject and I encourage all to keep doing so, but I bet most of us get the same response from these little sales clerks who say: "NT doesn't sell (although we sold out anything they ever had) and then we hear a very condescending "where is NT even located" (when they know good and well who we are all about and where we are located.

Has the UNT main campus-based marketing or information service ever emailed our mailed out professional 8 1/2 x 11 slicks answering all these major retail outlets the questions some of their local store employees who as "Who Is North Texas?" Such a promo slick could be most effective IMO. Yet wouldn't a little help from campus laying all this kind of "Facts About North Texas" groundwork help NT Exes/fans before we even go inside all these DFW Metroplex area retail outlets?

What hurts NT and this is no revelation to most on this board is our continued low profile perception and that because we have made Fouts Field a pariah while many outsiders have jumped on that AND........we are in the Sun Belt Conference. I recently asked one of my friend's son who starts for the Aledo HS Bearcats what he thought about NT and he said "they really do need to get in a better conference." Well, if that is what he thinks even with his own father who attended North Texas, I guarantee that same thing is being said by other Texas HS football players. Well, that group will for now just keep on having to say that because we ain't changing leagues anytime soon. I do think CUSA will have some openings in due time because of 1 or 2 of their schools who will just say "we're out of here" (and NCAA D-1 athletics).

Most of us know that getting out of the SBC is not an option for now, but I think it really does hurt us that a school 4 hours away from Hudson Oaks, Texas, and in another state that just happens to be in the Big 12 can get top billing at a north Texas Wal Mart and a school located in that same north Texas area cannot get its gear in these so-called "community friendly" store as Wal Mart says that it is. Wal Mart in one of their mission statements say they will work hand-in-hand with local schools. Has UNT Athletics held them to their word with the Denton and Lewisville Wal Marts?

Now that is about all I have to say on this subject and I know we could start a subject line based thread titled "Why NT stinks because it can't get sports gear in area Wal Marts" but I have said all I'm going to say on this subject--no need to say more. sad.gif

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I think at NT we should fight and and try to win the little battles that we can win.  Until more NT Exes or alums are buyers for major retail outlets and start suggesting to their employers that they should really be carrying Mean Green gear in these stores, I think UT and TAMU has all this wrapped up for many more years to come as they have all preceeding decades.  (Like those 2 schools really need the extra help with the marketing push of all their sports gear for crissakes)? wink.gif

As I posted recently, I was at the Grand Opening (great social life out here in the boonies) at the new Hudson Oaks Wal Mart and they even had an OU display of sports gear right over near Buck the Singing & Talking Deer.  No NT gear in sight. 

Many of us on GMG.com have fought the good fight on this subject and I encourage all to keep doing so,  but I bet most of us get the same response from these little sales clerks who say:  "NT doesn't sell (although we sold out anything they ever had) and then we hear a very condescending  "where is NT even located" (when they know good and well who we are all about and where we are located. 

Has the UNT main campus-based marketing or information service ever emailed our mailed out professional 8 1/2 x 11 slicks answering all these major retail outlets the questions some of their local store employees who as "Who Is North Texas?" Such a promo slick could be most effective IMO.  Yet wouldn't a little help from campus laying all this kind of "Facts About North Texas"  groundwork help NT Exes/fans before we even go inside all these DFW Metroplex area retail outlets?

What hurts NT and this is no revelation to most on this board is our continued low profile perception and that because we have made Fouts Field a pariah while many outsiders have jumped on that AND........we are in the Sun Belt Conference.  I recently  asked one of my friend's son who starts for the Aledo HS Bearcats what he thought about NT and he said "they really do need to get in a better conference."  Well, if that is what he thinks even with his own father who attended North Texas,  I guarantee that same thing is being said by other Texas HS football players.  Well, that group will for now just keep on having to say that because we ain't changing leagues anytime soon.  I do think CUSA will have some openings in due time because of 1 or 2 of their schools who will just say "we're out of here" (and NCAA D-1 athletics). 

Most of us know that getting out of the SBC is not an option for now, but I think it really does hurt us that a school 4 hours away from Hudson Oaks, Texas, and in another state that just happens to be in the Big 12 can get top billing at a north Texas Wal Mart and a school located in that same north Texas area cannot get its gear in these so-called "community friendly" store as Wal Mart says that it is.  Wal Mart in one of their mission statements say they will work hand-in-hand with local schools.  Has UNT Athletics held them to their word with the Denton and Lewisville Wal Marts?

Now that is about all I have to say on this subject and I know we could start a subject line based thread titled "Why NT stinks because it can't get sports gear in area Wal Marts" but I have said all I'm going to say on this subject--no need to say more. sad.gif 

GMG!

Well Jim, my Wal-Mart is closer to the NT campus than yours. Plus, there are MANY people living in my area who commute to North Texas.

I would never bring it up to a Wal-Mart sales clerk about the lack of gear because none of them are decision-makers, and none of them are paid well enough to give a damn about the issue.

If we want to get the attention of Wal-Mart we would need to figure out who is in charge of buying and supplying the local stores and e-mail them.

I guarantee you that it will do more good than sending in your opinions to Lee Jackson about what we would like to see in the next President of NT. wink.gif

If we want to get the attention of Wal-Mart we would need to figure out who is in charge of buying and supplying the local stores and e-mail them.

I guarantee you that it will do more good than sending in your opinions to Lee Jackson about what we would like to see in the next President of NT. wink.gif

Agree with the Prez opinions being put in File 13. There must be some local buying connection as with the Boswell and Saginaw stuff in the local store. Do the Denton Walmarts carry more NT stuff than others?