Should the NCAA but spending caps on teams

PHSCoach

NCAA allows the schools to run their programs like businesses and if their alumni/clientele want to put their money into the business than so be it. The BCS on the other hand is sham and only benefits the Rich and that also is where many of these big schools get their monies for their smaller teams.

Spending caps would not be beneficial and in the end you may end up having a splinter organization formed by the elite schools. huh.gif

I'm a proponent for caps on all sports. I think we have much more important jobs and things to do (although not nearly as entertaining) that we can spend money on for salaries rather than sports. Baseball I think is the most out of hand, but I think NCAA football comes close. I realize that college football is not supposed to pay players, but those guys sure get a lot of perks.

Not sure if there's a way for the NCAA to regulate spending, but if there is a way, that's what they should be spending their time on..... not worrying about PC mascots. dry.gif

If we had the money that UT or Ohio State had, would we still be arguing for caps on our program to level the playing field for the underdogs?

Just wondering if this is a thought based on some sort of noble principle held or if its just because we dont have that kind of money...

I don't know if it is noble or not. And not trying to level the playing field.

Ohio State's total program will be over $100 mil this year

Well scholorship limits were imposed a long time ago. In theory, that's basically the same thing (if we are arguing this on business principles) as imposing a spending limit.

Do the people who say "if you've got it, then spend it" think that we should go back to the old days of BCS-type schools giving unlimited scholorships?

Personally, I think it's absurd to pay any coach in America a salary that exceeds 150K.

---Remember SMU...... they violated the zero salery rule to players....... a lot of schools whould figure out a way to get around it.... Build gold-plated dressing rooms and claim they held English class in there etc. Some of the athletes are pretty bad at English anyway, so there might be a little truth to it.. The Agg/biology department could test their grass experiments by having athletes practice on it. etc. etc. etc.

---Got to agree, coaching saleries someplaces are bit obcene. A few actually donate some of it back to the school including Bobby Knight at Tech (and not to the the athletic dept.) You may not like them but both basketball and football coaches at Tech are well educated and value that part of college life. Knight's players have always had high graduation rates. He believes that intelligent players are better players and recruits accordingly. When is the last time you have heard of one of his players making news because of poor or illegal conduct at any place he coached.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

If we had the money that UT or Ohio State had, would we still be arguing for caps on our program to level the playing field for the underdogs?

Just wondering if this is a thought based on some sort of noble principle held or if its just because we dont have that kind of money...

Well, I'm an Astros fan (4th biggest market in MLB) and I'm a proponent of a cap in baseball if that says anything.

I'm a proponent for caps on all sports. I think we have much more important jobs and things to do (although not nearly as entertaining) that we can spend money on for salaries rather than sports. Baseball I think is the most out of hand, but I think NCAA football comes close. I realize that college football is not supposed to pay players, but those guys sure get a lot of perks.

Not sure if there's a way for the NCAA to regulate spending, but if there is a way, that's what they should be spending their time on..... not worrying about PC mascots.  dry.gif

Agreed. The NCAA has spent time in the past thinking up ridiculous ways to penalize team for ridiculous things (not having all the socks pulled up, teams mascots, etc.).

The crazy thing is that everybody admits money drives the business of college football. But, when it comes to doing common sense things like having a playoff so that championships are won on the field, the presidents fly the "but they're just students who play a game" flag. It's a fat lie.

The most hypocritical thing to me is that many of these universities are run by very liberal people who have made a living supposed "sticking up for the little guy", such as former Clinton cabinet member Donna Shalala, president of the University of Miami, Florida. They also go to the mat claiming they want equality for everyone according to race, religion, sexual choice, etc.

But, when it comes to fairness on the field, they're strangely silent. Or, they simply abandon one conference for another for the sake of TV money (Miami to the ACC).

If the NFL, NBA, and other TV money-based leagues have a spending cap, you'd think a college system could, too. After all, the colleges would seem to have more of an argument for doing so - making sure academics, not athletics, were the main goal of the school.

Anyway, it's a joke the way it is and probably won't ever change. In fact, the big schools are doing their dead level best to run off the non-traditional schools with attendance requirements and other assorted crap. It's sickening.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch