When is the next scrimmage, time & place?

NT80

The scrimmage last Saturday also was orginally scheduled for 7pm but was moved.   We should know closer to the weekend, and if it will be at Fouts.

Finally have a Saturday off, see some of you @ (hopefully) Fouts at ?:00 AM or PM.

Can't wait to see all the new stuff in Mean Green Country.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I was up in Mean Green country for the BBQ this weekend... Courtney and I went to Fouts and saw the new field and it looks great. The workers were patching it up in certain places where there were bubbles or rips. We went up to our seats and there is a noticable difference in the view. There is still a slight crown in the field but no NEARLY as bad as before. Taking away that crown helps with the sightlines and I think everyone will be pleased with the new-look Fouts. Up till this point I have thought that going to a lighter green was a bad idea - but when you see how dark (and realistic) that the new field looks; I think you will agree with me that a lighter green on the uni's was needed so that they did not blend in too much on TV. Anyways, Fouts is a great venue - even with the track around it.. the new field just makes her look that much better (especially when you add it to all of the other improvements that have been done)..

Oh yeah, I forgot to add - the deck is growing this year and has been completely re-done. It has a cement floor now held up by wooden beams. It is being transformed into kind of a "V" shape for the fans. It jets out at the entrance and then goes back in and then has the pillars in place to jet out again (it is not done yet)... Should look pretty good and now it completely connects to the stands surrounding it making that end a semi-bowl.

Well, the material feels very brittle to the touch before the rubber pellets are added so I imagine that it just ripped or bulged in a few spots. I went down onto the field and in my best kitchen-Spanish possible, tried to talk with them about it, lol. The parts that they were repairing were rectangular squares. You could see that a rectangular square had been cut out (the grey gravel was showing) and the workers were pouring a green paint into the area before adding a new rectangular section to replace it. Since this field looks just like grass, these patches don't really show up. I asked him how many they had done that day and I think that he said that they had 3 left and had done 9. I tried to figure out where the other 9 had been and couldn't tell what was part of the original roll-out and what was part of the patchwork.

It was really kind of interesting... I expected the grass "blades" to be thick rubber - something that would "give" a little. But it is more like the thickness of streamers on a really good quality pom-pom (can't think of any other way to describe it). When you sit on it (pre-rubber pellets) - it feels very hard. I guess that is because there is basically no pad under the field like old Astro play fields used to have... instead the padding is done with lots of small rubber pellets that are raked into the surface after it is all in place. I can't wait to see how this feels after the pellets have been added. It sure looks great.

BTW, one more thing... I think that the crown was taken out of te field for a reason. I think they want to prevent drainage off to the sides of the field, and push the field to drain into the ground. This would keep the rubber pellets in place and not washed into the floor drains that surround the field. Either way - I imagine that this design takes a little bit of upkeep with the pellets. Either we will need to rake the field after each game and/or add more pellets I have no idea. I think that rain will play a part into how much maintenance we will need to provide. Unlike Astro-turf, this surface will require some sort of attention (other than patches) after installation. At least that is what I am guessing.

Well, the material feels very brittle to the touch before the rubber pellets are added so I imagine that it just ripped or bulged in a few spots.  I went down onto the field and in my best kitchen-Spanish possible, tried to talk with them about it, lol.  The parts that they were repairing were rectangular squares.  You could see that a rectangular square had been cut out (the grey gravel was showing) and the workers were pouring a green paint into the area before adding a new rectangular section to replace it.  Since this field looks just like grass, these patches don't really show up.  I asked him how many they had done that day and I think that he said that they had 3 left and had done 9.  I tried to figure out where the other 9 had been and couldn't tell what was part of the original roll-out and what was part of the patchwork.

It was really kind of interesting... I expected the grass "blades" to be thick rubber - something that would "give" a little.  But it is more like the thickness of streamers on a really good quality pom-pom (can't think of any other way to describe it).  When you sit on it (pre-rubber pellets) - it feels very hard.  I guess that is because there is basically no pad under the field like old Astro play fields used to have... instead the padding is done with lots of small rubber pellets that are raked into the surface after it is all in place.  I can't wait to see how this feels after the pellets have been added.  It sure looks great.

Gol' darn, stebo, what you are describing is, uh, Chia-Field! blink.gif Are you sure it won't go crazy with growth when you throw some water on it?!?!?!? rolleyes.gif

GMG!

Up till this point I have thought that going to a lighter green was a bad idea - but when you see how dark (and realistic) that the new field looks; I think you will agree with me that a lighter green on the uni's was needed so that they did not blend in too much on TV. 

I heard/read our uniforms will be the same color this year as last and that they will order the new color for next season.

Sidenotes: the track will be repainted to freshen it up, the stands power washed and new endzone banners added.

Playing on this sort of field will slow down play alittle... it is really soft and makes running more difficult than the team expierenced on the old turf. Haha well this is coming from a former lineman... Lineman I wish you luck. biggrin.gif I always felt like I had blazing speed running on the style of turf Fouts had before, but when I played on this new stuff it felt like I was in sand.

Good news about repainting the track and the new endzone banners... but what really needs to be done is a remodeling of the concessions/entrance way under the stands. You would think they could atleast give it a new paint job along with new cement flooring for minimal costs.

Edited by ipEAGLE

I my son said that the scrimmage would be Saturday morning at Fouts if it is ready. Special teams were there yesterday checking out the new turf. As always this is subject to change. Today the scout teams will start running LSU plays against the offense and defense in preparation for that game.

So one says AM and the other says PM, so when will we know which one?

Go in the morning, if they aren't playing, head out to Cracker Barrell, have some breakfast and check out their assortment of North Texas hats and shirts. Then head up University Dr. and stop at the sporting goods store in Denton Center and give them the rundown on Eagle Point with all the PMGisms, between the two busiest interstates in the universe, Wimbeldon type tennis facility, 200 acres, future home to numerous Super Bowls once the big donor is found, etc... Then head to the square for a burger at Denton Co. Hamburger. Walk off lunch by distributing posters and pocket schedules to the merchants around the square and throughout Golden Triangle Mall. Head over to Wooten Hall and take a nap under the stairs, egg the Music Bldg., start a protest outside the Admin. Bldg to oust LJ and check to make sure the green lights are ready to light the tower. Late afternoon head to Hooya's for a Burrito to go and head to Fouts for the game.

If they play in the morning, just grab breakfast to go from Cracker Barrell, head to Fouts and proceed with the above plans. cool.gif

Go in the morning, if they aren't playing, head out to Cracker Barrell, have some breakfast and check out their assortment of North Texas hats and shirts.  Then head up University Dr. and stop at the sporting goods store in Denton Center and give them the rundown on Eagle Point with all the PMGisms, between the two busiest interstates in the universe, Wimbeldon type tennis facility, 200 acres, future home to numerous Super Bowls once the big donor is found, etc...  Then head to the square for a burger at Denton Co. Hamburger.  Walk off lunch by distributing posters and pocket schedules to the merchants around the square and throughout Golden Triangle Mall.  Head over to Wooten Hall and take a nap under the stairs, egg the Music Bldg., start a protest outside the Admin. Bldg to oust LJ and check to make sure the green lights are ready to light the tower.  Late afternoon head to Hooya's for a Burrito to go and head to Fouts for the game.

If they play in the morning, just grab breakfast to go from Cracker Barrell, head to Fouts and proceed with the above plans. cool.gif

I think I like your imagination better than my own. rolleyes.giflaugh.gif Hmmm? Super Bowl in Denton.... huh.gif

32 years and counting with the Mean Green scene and I'm ready for "ALL" of the above! tongue.gif Hmmm? Super Bowl? ohmy.gif

PS: You left out New York Subway--shame on you. ph34r.gif

I my son said that the scrimmage would be Saturday morning at Fouts if it is ready.  Special teams were there yesterday checking out the new turf.  As always this is subject to change.  Today the scout teams will start running LSU plays against the offense and defense in preparation for that game.

Thanks for the info. It will probably be in the morning and perhaps then the players will get Sat. evening off. I'd like to have it at Fouts and see the team on the new turf. I heard the rubber pellets will settle faster as the field is used more.

As for the scout team & LSU plays that brings up some interesting questions. LSU has a new head coach this season in Les Miles from Okla St., and I assume a new playbook. Will the scout plays be old OSU plays or how do they know what plays LSU will run? NT is easy to scout, just find any game from the past 6 years! dry.gif

Edited by NT80

Thanks for the info.  It will probably be in the morning and perhaps then the players will get Sat. evening off.  I'd like to have it at Fouts and see the team on the new turf.  I heard the rubber pellets will settle faster as the field is used more.

As for the scout team & LSU plays that brings up some interesting questions.  LSU has a new head coach this season in Les Miles from Okla St., and I assume a new playbook.  Will the scout plays be old OSU plays or how do they know what plays LSU will run?  NT is easy to scout, just find any game from the past 6 years!  dry.gif

If i was Les Miles, i would scrap the last two years of NT games from my list of those used to scout us, (except to take a look at both PC and JT) but as far as gameplaning i would go back and look at the games after Scott Hall went down and Smith took over, becuase i think for LSU we will see alot of similar type plays.

Those used not to let the QB do anything except be a bus driver.