Freshman Orientation Info

stebo

I am talking to my good old fraternity brother Green Eyed Monster on the phone and his nephew (Adam's 2nd nephew to go to NT) just got back from orientation... He came away excited and PUMPED UP about TAILGATING and PRIDE and FOOTBALL!!! He was wearing a shirt in the new green color that on the front said simply NORTH TEXAS (no UNT~!!!) with the Eagle underneath (the full "postal service" eagle, not just the head)... On the back was the word #1. PRIDE: and it listed a definition of PRIDE under it. Then it said #2. For any questions, please refer to the first line.

I gotta tell ya, this got my Mean Green blood going. I love how this is finally happening at NT, and on a consistent basis.

Edited by stebo

Nice to hear the freshman are getting the message. Now if that translates to attendance, and they dont learn some of the old bad habbits. (ie drink in parking lot while game is being played) I like the direction the student involvement is going. The Talons could make a big difference for these kids.. Get them involved and into the stadium!!!

GMG!!!

It got my blood stirring too Steve!!

It was great to see a kid smiling his butt off, showing everyone his new UNT ID card and pestering me about times and locations of tailgatring events. Whatever they were saying in those orientation meetings was really working. I offered him $30 for the shirt off his back and he actually told me that it would take $50! ( and this is from a somewhat starving college student!! ) THAT is some school pride that I haven't seen in quite some time....North Texas or otherwise!

I have also noticed on the meangreensports.com home page that there is a spot talking about the new schedule and times, it has the new colors, new logo, BUT it says, "North Texas."

It says nothing about "Universitu of" or "UNT"

Maybe a subtle way of saying that is the way we are going?

Maybe we got our way afterall biggrin.gif

QUOTE (drex @ Jul 6 2005, 02:40 PM)

Ironically, the kid in the North Texan picture was wearing a Hayden Fry era flying worm shirt. 

Yeah, I thought it was funny that there were so many different colors of green (3-4) and a flying worm photo in an article about branding! HAHAHA!

I noticed that also. Funny stuff.

Rick

How about the article on branding in the online addition of the North Texan? At the end of the article on all the new branding/wordmarks is a picture of the UNT star with the blue and copper FFR loves so much.

My girlfriend's sister came away from freshmen orientation a couple of weeks ago and she seemed pretty pumped about the football games...from what I know, she has never been into football. huh.gif I saw her again this weekend, and she had on a "throwback" style NT shirt, but it had the new logo on it. So it looks like she is hooked smile.gif

I don't know what they are putting in the water at freshman orientation, but they should unleash some into the City of Denton water supply. ph34r.gif

I am talking to my good old fraternity brother Green Eyed Monster on the phone and his nephew (Adam's 2nd nephew to go to NT) just got back from orientation... He came away excited and PUMPED UP about TAILGATING and PRIDE and FOOTBALL!!!  He was wearing a shirt in the new green color that on the front said simply NORTH TEXAS (no UNT~!!!) with the Eagle underneath (the full "postal service" eagle, not just the head)... On the back was the word #1. PRIDE: and it listed a definition of PRIDE under it.  Then it said #2. For any questions, please refer to the first line.

I gotta tell ya, this got my Mean Green blood going.  I love how this is finally happening at NT, and on a consistent basis.

yea i went to orientation it was pretty good I also have the shirt.

I gotta tell you that I went through that same orientation when I transferred down to North Texas and there was not one mention of a football team or sports. This was 1993, the year before our push to IA. When we pushed up to IA, they pulled out all the stops.... and I don't know how we did it; but we got like 19K that season. Those games that Fall were one big party. Back then the big band was Deep Blue Something and they were Denton/NT guys... they had a number 1 single getting serious airplay (Breakfast at Tiffanys) and Helwig paid them to play one of those games. They had the tent rigged up so that you had to walk through the turnstile (the turnstiles were portable ones taken OUTSIDE of Fouts and put in front of the concert tent) - anyways, you had to walk through the turnstile and show your student id to get counted (or get your ticket torn if you were a non-student) - then you could listen to the concert and leave or go into the game. Beer was readily available at like $1 a cup. I seem to recall them not really charging anything for it most of the time. What they did was set up tables where you bought tickets - then keg booths where you got the beer. Well when you got to the booths to give them the tickets, the tables were just filled with cups of ice cold beer and you just grabbed as much as you wanted - I don't think anyone ever asked me for a ticket, lol. That was pretty much the gig for all four home games that year. Big tent, free bands, lots and LOTS of free beer. Now - how many made it into the stadium? I would say that about 70% actually went into the games. But considering the attendance the year before, that was a miracle. Most of us laughed off the thought of us ACTUALLY making it up to IA that year, we all thought it was kind of a pipe dream... but Helwig/Sloan pulled it off with smoke, mirrors, a little Mean Green luck - and heck - Maher to Redwine didn't hurt neither. Simon was a miracle worker that year; he just caved under the pressure of trying to live life in the Big West with zero budget and all JUCO players.

So to hear these stories of Frosh orientation - and the selling of football to these kiddos - and to know that they are not selling snake oil this time around.... now that is just music to these old ears.

I came to NT in 94, the year that you are talking about. I remember in the dorms everyone made a big deal about going to the games because they said that unless we had a certain attendance, we would be dropped back down. Good times.

I attended FO in 2001. They were starting to include more spirit activities (thanks Emmitt) and pride and tradition into the whole orientation process. The only complaint was that they gave us white shirts.

Anyway, I look at the incoming freshmen now, and they're all wearing their super cool shirts from Orientation (wish I could get my hands on some) and really getting excited about NT. The Eagle Camp was an incredible idea to really get the kids going. New Student Mentoring is pulling out all the stops- and now for the entire year! Now they even provide mentoring and stuff throughout the first year for freshment (FYE).

My little sister is looking a colleges right now, but I can tell you she's VERY impressed with the level of committment to the students present at NT. After her tour of the campus, she even got a hand-written postcard from the girl that gave the tour. Whether she attends NT or not, she can sing our fight song and will always have fond memories.

Anyway, I look at the incoming freshmen now, and they're all wearing their super cool shirts from Orientation (wish I could get my hands on some) and really getting excited about NT. The Eagle Camp was an incredible idea to really get the kids going. New Student Mentoring is pulling out all the stops- and now for the entire year! Now they even provide mentoring and stuff throughout the first year for freshment (FYE).

I attended in '98 and just remember a couple of spirit related activities that were not hyped up very much. I still enjoyed it though...lots of eye candy in tight-fitting wrappers, if ya know what I mean wink.gif

Anyways, I have heard that the Eagle Camp grows more popular every year. Here are the approx. attendance numbers that I recollect.

2002: 25

2003: 150

2004: ???

2005: I have heard that they might be pushing 500 this year

Again, this was all hearsay. If someone has more reliable info, please correct me.

I attended in '98 and just remember a couple of spirit related activities that were not hyped up very much.  I still enjoyed it though...lots of eye candy in tight-fitting wrappers, if ya know what I mean  wink.gif

I think it will be a sad, sad day when there is no eye candy in tight fitting wrappers at a college campus.

Anyways, I have heard that the Eagle Camp grows more popular every year.  Here are the approx. attendance numbers that I recollect.

2002: 25

2003: 150

2004: ???

2005: I have heard that they might be pushing 500 this year

Again, this was all hearsay.  If someone has more reliable info, please correct me.

I believe the number for 2004 was nearer to 300.