The Definitive Denton Restaurant Thread

Harry

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is Katz?  Never heard of it.

Katz just opened up this last semester. It's where Mr. Goodcents used to be.... right behind Chicken Express and across the street from NY Subway.

At one time or another, there was an ice cream shop in that building, but that was before my time.

Maybe a fair warning, the one time the wife and I ate at Katz we both got sick and we have several friends who have also gotten sick after eating there.

The burgers tasted great going down, but not so much coming up or going out. More or less a poor man's Fuddruckers.

Back in the day my favorite places were Barri's(please tell me it's still there), Sweetwater, Hooya, and the Loophole.  I'm gonna try and hit as many as I can next time I roll thru.  smile.gif

Bari's has the best Italian food in town, IMO. Bring cash. They don't take plastic.

Katz just opened up this last semester. It's where Mr. Goodcents used to be.... right behind Chicken Express and across the street from NY Subway.

At one time or another, there was an ice cream shop in that building, but that was before my time.

Swensen's.......

Bari's has the best Italian food in town, IMO. Bring cash. They don't take plastic.

I remember, believe me. I had to leave a friend there as collateral once so I could run home to get cash! LOL

(Dave if you read these boards, sorry man)

Slice of the "Gutbuster" from the Flyin' Tomato, or as it's now called The Tomato, and an ice cold draft beer.  biggrin.gif

YES!!!!!!!!

That is the ULTIMATE! I would kill for a stuffed pizza from the Flyin' Tomato right now. We do not have anything like that here.

That is still my favorite pizza, and always will be. smile.gif

Anyone remember the little Texas greasy spoon diner several blocks south of the courthouse square called "Tom & Joe's?"

I loved going there to eat their hamburger and fries and just shoot the bull with the locals. Read a few years ago that that was also a favorite eating spot for one of Denton's favorite daughters, the great Phyliss George.

Last time I drove by where it should have been--it wasn't there. blink.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Wow, this thread is still going? A little known restaurant in Denton is out on Ft Worth Drive/HWY 377 - it is called Mi Ranchito and is awesome. Lunch is about $4.00 - $5.00 bucks and comes with free iced tea. I would reccomend the Sour Cream Chicken Enchilades. Stay away from the queso, it sucks - this place is a REAL Mexican Restaurant, not a Tex-Mex place. Salsa is excellent and they bring you out this free soup before your meal (it is like charro beans with little pieces of hot dogs in it, lol - but it is ohhh so good)...

I used to make sure that I got the Spicy Pasta from Sweetwater everytime I was back in town - now I try to split it between Mi Ranchito, Sweetwater, and Hooyah's. I just discovered Chipotle here is Ft Worth and they are exactly like Hooyah (except they cost more) - great burrito though (and I manage a Mexican Restaurant for a living, lol)...

Anyone remember the little Texas greasy spoon diner several blocks south of the courthouse square called "Tom & Joe's?" 

Tom and Jo's was awesome. Best fries I've ever had, and the best burger in Denton.

That location is now called Pollo Bueno. Pretty good place.

I try to stay away from Sweetwater... last time I ate there the food was terrible and the service was less than average.

The Tomato is the place to eat... I could eat there every day. Texas Roadhouse is also a pretty good place (probably the best Texas Roadhouse I have ate at is the one in Denton, the one in Wichita Falls isn't as tasty).

Edited by ipEAGLE

Bari's has the best Italian food in town, IMO.

I may be mistaken but didn't Bari's have the distinction of being the first restaurant in Denton forced to close due to health code violations? Circa 97-98? They reopened 6-12 weeks later.

Guest e-bone

I may be mistaken but didn't Bari's have the distinction of being the first restaurant in Denton forced to close due to health code violations? Circa 97-98? They reopened 6-12 weeks later.

Hey, it's just extra flavor.

I loved going there to eat their hamburger and fries and just shoot the bull with the locals.  Read a few years ago that that was also a favorite eating spot for one of Denton's favorite daughters, the great Phyliss George.

Last time I drove by where it should have been--it wasn't there. blink.gif

Plumm,

If it is the place I am thinking of it had the jukebox machine on every table. The ceiliing tiles were a brownish yellow from all the grease in the air. The cash register was the old style that you had to wind after each calculation and it sat on the island bar in the middle of the restraunt. Though there was a menu, my friends and I knew that you only ordered two things. The Special (chicken fried steak or meatloaf most often) or the cheese burger basket. Either one would run you 4 or 5 dollars I believe and it was heaven on earth. As you can tell I loved the place. I was sad to hear it has closed.

Plumm,

If it is the place I am thinking of it had the jukebox machine on every table. The ceiliing tiles were a brownish yellow from all the grease in the air. The cash register was the old style that you had to wind after each calculation and it sat on the island bar in the middle of the restraunt. Though there was a menu, my friends and I knew that you only ordered two things. The Special (chicken fried steak or meatloaf most often) or the cheese burger basket. Either one would run you 4 or 5 dollars I believe and it was heaven on earth. As you can tell I loved the place. I was sad to hear it has closed.

You got it--that's the place, HoustonEagle, AND good memories for you, too, eh? smile.gif

I had completely forgotten about each table having a mini-juke-box, though. Heck! I wonder if they had "Fraulein" as one of the selections? BTW, is Houston country station KICK-AM still in business?

I wonder just what year Tom & Joe's Cafe did close? greenjoe, you have any idea?

NOTE: Surprised that Ponder's famous Ranchmen Steak House has not received more keyboard strokes on this thread. I can just see Faye Dunaway getting on one of the Ranchmen's table tops with rose between her teeth doing a Mexican fast step or 2 to (probably) impress her acting collegue who was there also, ie, Mr. Warren Beatty (as that Texas eatery's late owner "Pete" told me and my then TWU girlfriend one afternoon we ate there).

******* For some of you newbies, those 2 Hollywood stars were in the Denton/Ponder area filming "Bonnie & Clyde" back in the mid 1960's & was the reason they were at the Ranchmen's Steak House. Many celebs and DFW area sports heros have been there since.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen