The Definitive Denton Restaurant Thread

Harry

Heres the real deal:

Breakfast - Rubys Diner on the Square- when my son and I go in on Saturday the waitress just looks at me and says the usual. Very typical Denton crowd. Old time Denton farmers, college students, professors etc..

Lunch - RJs Burgers. Down the street from Morris Milling. Huge burgers. Dont be in a hurry. Half the fun is talking to RJ.

Dinner - Matazalan - located down on University Dr. past TWU. Tacos al Carbon to die for.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

see my reply earlier...last FB season they had NT hats and sweatshirts etc. I got on them 2 years ago. have you been there recently?

I have not been there recently. I was just going by GrayEagle's post and know in the past (probably 2 years) they didn't have any NT stuff. If they started carrying NT stuff recently then I retract the complaint! cool.gif

That was probably supposed to be Hannah's. Nice place.

Yea, it may be. I could not remember the name exactly.

Matzalan is a good place. There are a lot of good Mexican places around.

Another independent Mexican place is Angelina's. They are owned by a local family and there are 3 in the area. One in The Colony on Main. One in Lewisville on Main past the high school. One in Flower Mound and I am not sure where that one is located.

Edited by gksmith

What about the State Club ... DOH !!!  I did like their chicken tenders and burgers.

Agree...the State Club had the BEST chicken tenders ever! Probably not the healthiest, but after a few good thumps on my chest my heart would start working again!!! laugh.gif

hooyahs & chipotle get nearly 75% of my eating out budget. i was exposed to chipotle before moving to denton and though hooyahs was gross at first, but lately chipotle has been very inconsistant with the amount of food put inside the buritto, so that sent me to hooyahs where i know i will get filled up with a killer every time. by the way, has anyone ever put down a hooyah sized burritto? i've seen it done, but i know my 170 lb self can't do it. hopefully one day i can.

Is it just me or does it seem like there are not enough restaurants and bars over by the Fouts side of the world? It is like everyone goes over there to see a game or an event and leaves the area after if they want to grab a beer or get something to eat. That whole section of the city over there could use some more name restaurants and shops. The square is too far away. UNT could do a better job of partnering up!

But I digress -

back to topic, a New York Subs foot long boiled ham w/cheese on white bread and an ice cold Dr. pepper with crushed ice - after a long day in the sun watching football practice- is pure greatness.

hooyahs & chipotle get nearly 75% of my eating out budget.  i was exposed to chipotle before moving to denton and though hooyahs was gross at first, but lately chipotle has been very inconsistant with the amount of food put inside the buritto, so that sent me to hooyahs where i know i will get filled up with a killer every time.  by the way, has anyone ever put down a hooyah sized burritto?  i've seen it done, but i know my 170 lb self can't do it.  hopefully one day i can.

I have seen a student (who shall remain nameless) eat one full Hooya and top it off with a Killer. And he's not a football player.

About 5 min northwest of denton in Krum lies a GREAT mexican restaurant. named Miguelitos... They make everything from scratch in the back and have some of the best homemade salsa I have ever had. I recommend the fajitas or the enchiladas-- cant go wrong, and its inexpensive. On saturday nights they used to give out free margaritas (dont know if they still do) and its BYOB!

As far as Denton city limits, I gotta hit Hooya and the Loop hole(awesome chicken fried steak sandwich)

Is that located where the (was it Copper Skillet) cafe used to be located?

Little Krum trivia:

NT graduate (Class of 1927), NT Athletic Hall of Fame member and longtime successful SMU basketball Coach Doc Hayes was from Krum, Texas. He coached at SMU from 1947 to 1967.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Guest JohnDenver

Thanks, UNTLifer, I wasn't even close now was I? Mid-50's is just about to kill me!:(

I ate there a lot when I was a little one. On Sundays we would drive up there for brunch. I have NO idea how my mother ever heard of a place in Krum.

I was sad to discover them gone when I was at UNT.

Here's one that will bring back memories for the old timers - do you guys recall that frozen drink spot there over by the cemetary off of eagle and ft worth drive. That was in the days before DWI was a big deal and you could get a huge alchohol laced frozen drink in the drive through! It was over by the tire place I believe and I forget the name of it.

The Clay Pot was a great place and was even the setting for a few "Dallas" episodes with the Ewing clan.

Harry, I remember the spot you are talking about and seem to remember it being called Igloo's. It was on the north side of Eagle between Elm and Locust.

There is one opening right near campus in the fall, just in time for FB season!

Is there any way we could get them to change their colors from Orange/White to Green/White.

If it worked for aTm, I don't see why it couldn't work for us. rolleyes.gif

About 5 min northwest of denton in Krum lies a GREAT mexican restaurant. named Miguelitos... They make everything from scratch in the back and have some of the best homemade salsa I have ever had. I recommend the fajitas or the enchiladas-- cant go wrong, and its inexpensive. On saturday nights they used to give out free margaritas (dont know if they still do) and its BYOB!

I have heard of that place before...I think Travis told me about it actually. Never been though.

For mexican in Denton go to El Guapo's - their empanadas are great, though I have heard you should not get the El Steako. wink.gif

For italian there is a great little place on Fry street behind the Tomato, called Bagheri's. Half of their menu it seems consists of '______ Gallina Bianca' ... Ravioli Gallina Bianca, Tortollini Gallina Bianca, etc., but they do have other things. They give you bread before your meal that is pretty good also.

Hooya is a staple in my diet, but Katz has some of the best hamburgers I've had in a while. Of course, you can always go for Chicken Express.

You can sure tell you lived in Clark! smile.gif

Edited by hope24