It's Time For Slinker To Go

UNTLifer

Keep in mind that the UNT women went to the NCAA Tournament (1), NIT (2), a conference title, all under her tenure. Last year was sad but the previous 3 plus years have been pretty productive.

NCAA coaching (football and basketball) is such a "what have you done for me lately" job. Nebraska fired a football coach after one year of 9-3. N. Carolina fired a coach after a productive season, but not one on par with what UNC had done in the past. I am sure there are many other examples (Ty Willingham, ND) where a coach had winning seasons but the winning was not a prominant as in the past.

So lets say we do fire Slinker. Who is out there to replace her and have as good a history as her?

Keep in mind that the UNT women went to the NCAA Tournament (1), NIT (2), a conference title, all under her tenure. Last year was sad but the previous 3 plus years have been pretty productive.

NCAA coaching (football and basketball) is such a "what have you done for me lately" job. Nebraska fired a football coach after one year of 9-3. N. Carolina fired a coach after a productive season, but not one on par with what UNC had done in the past. I am sure there are many other examples (Ty Willingham, ND) where a coach had winning seasons but the winning was not a prominant as in the past.

So lets say we do fire Slinker. Who is out there to replace her and have as good a history as her?

Well first Slinker has had no NCAA appearances. Go to the NT official site and view women's bb game notes and you will find Slinker's record. I am not sure it is going to be to difficult to find someone with as good a history as Slinker who has had 5 winning teams out of 15 years and an overall losing conference record.

Slinker has never taken the Ladies to the NCAA, been to the NIT twice and got blown out twice. I believe her only winning seasons were her first, 16 years ago, and the Jalie Mitchell/Rosalyn Reades years. Coaches to replace her? How about Capps at UTA, or the coach at TAMU-Corpus?

What have you done for me lately? She has been here 16 years with only a handful of winning seasons and an overall losing record. It's not like she is Judy Conradt or Marsha Sharp having a bad year in the midst of many good ones. I have a feeling that there are quite a few coaches out there that would jump at the chance to coach at NT with the facilities we have for Bball.

Please explain how she has become an ambassador? I've followed NT for my 39 years on this earth, and I don't recall her ever doing anything to attract fans other than run her camps in the summer, and that isn't really something to attract fans.

I want to believe you, but the facts don't back up your claims unless you know something most of us don't.

Slinker's overall record at this point is: 190-232

Down through the years:

1989-90 (16-11)

1990-91 (6-20)

1991-92 (8-18)

1992-93 (9-17)

1993-94 (10-17)

1994-95 (10-17)

1995-96 (11-16)

1996-97 (5-21)

1997-98 (10-17)

1998-99 (20-8)

1999-00 (17-11)

2000-01 (19-11)

2001-02 (21-9)

2002-03 (12-16)

2003-04 (11-17)

2004-05 (5-6)

Two WNIT appearances:

2001---lost to Oklahoma State 79-67

2002---lost to Washington 82-61

I would dare say, that if she wasn't fired after 8 straight losing seasons, she's not gonna be fired any time soon.

Edited by SUMG

The times they are a changin'. RV finally figured out that basketball might be a nice way to spend the winter. Performance by basketball is now a priority and Tina will not make the hike IMHO. 15 might be the magic number. Anything less than 15 wins and there could be a change.

As probably Slinker's biggest critic on this board, I hope NT turns it around and at least seriously competes for the Belt title. I am just tired of the continued overall mediore performance. A team that in many games cannot hit fifty percent in point blank range under the basket shots and averages 20 turnovers a game is not progress. It just seems to me that slinker's teams are always less then the sum of it parts.

But hope is always there and I will be listening to the A$M game today and hoping for a NT turnaround that will carry through the conference tournament. The players on this team do have the talent imo to be a force in the conference.

Edited by GrandGreen

Looks like all the Fire Dickey people are bored.

Yeah its not a great record but the players have a lot of respect for her and I just dont think they have the talent RIGHT NOW to get it done. I say at least let her finish with the Erika Bobo, Mia Ajekwu, Amber Jackson days. North Texas is just now getting strong in recruiting and the last 2 classes show it. This isnt a bad team, they have potential to do big things...they hung in with LSU and Texas for the most part...but on this board everyone was gonna jump ship if we lost so this was expected. Leave Slinker alone cause lets face it...this has been a hard non-conference schedule....and the 4 players on teh court thing...is it Slinker's fault the player didn't leave the bench...id imagine at one point the players name came up in the play...no coach draws a play with just 4 people and NOT notice.

....and the 4 players on teh court thing...is it Slinker's fault the player didn't leave the bench....

Are you serious? YES. It is all of the coaches fault that NOONE realized that there werent 5 ladies in white jerseys on the court right in front of the team bench. Im not saying fire Slinker, but this ship needs to be righted.

Edited by Rudy

Yeah its not a great record but the players have a lot of respect for her and I just dont think they have the talent RIGHT NOW to get it done.  I say at least let her finish with the Erika Bobo, Mia Ajekwu, Amber Jackson days.  North Texas is just now getting strong in recruiting and the last 2 classes show it.  This isnt a bad team, they have potential to do big things...they hung in with LSU and Texas for the most part...but on this board everyone was gonna jump ship if we lost so this was expected.  Leave Slinker alone cause lets face it...this has been a hard non-conference schedule....and the 4 players on teh court thing...is it Slinker's fault the player didn't leave the bench...id imagine at one point the players name came up in the play...no coach draws a play with just 4 people and NOT notice.

You've got to be kidding. 5 winning seasons out of 16 is terrible and wouldn't be tolerated anywhere other than NT. If talent is the issue, then it is the coaches fault for not recruiting better. BTW, talent isn't our problem.

North Texas is just now getting strong in recruiting? Then whey in the world has it taken her 14 years to get this taken care of?

And as Rudy stated, Yes it is the coaches fault when there aren't enough players on the court.

Yeah its not a great record but the players have a lot of respect for her and I just dont think they have the talent RIGHT NOW to get it done.  I say at least let her finish with the Erika Bobo, Mia Ajekwu, Amber Jackson days.  North Texas is just now getting strong in recruiting and the last 2 classes show it.  This isnt a bad team, they have potential to do big things...they hung in with LSU and Texas for the most part...but on this board everyone was gonna jump ship if we lost so this was expected.  Leave Slinker alone cause lets face it...this has been a hard non-conference schedule....and the 4 players on teh court thing...is it Slinker's fault the player didn't leave the bench...id imagine at one point the players name came up in the play...no coach draws a play with just 4 people and NOT notice.

This bit of genius comes from the same guy who thinks that Marshall University is located in Texas.

Also, no one was gonna jump ship if our team didn't beat LSU or Texas.....where do you get that nonsense from?

Coaches to replace her?  How about Capps at UTA, or the coach at TAMU-Corpus?

That is provided either of those two coaches want to leave their respective posts. UTA and TAMU-CC are doing pretty well. Plus to get a good coach you have to be willing to put up some serious $$$.

The fact Slinker is a good recruiter has made it possible for UNT to have past sucess. It wasn't that long ago UNT WBB had a good program with Slinker coaching, including 2 (almost 3) 20 win seasons.

1998-99 (20-8)

1999-00 (17-11)

2000-01 (19-11)

2001-02 (21-9)

If you want to fire her for post season failures, then that fuels the arguement for all the posters who want Dicky gone (1-3 in bowl games) (and I am not a Dickey basher by any means).

I would at least let this season run its course. 3 straight bad seasons is a bit much considering there were 4 really good years before.

That's why I wouldn't make a good AD. I would either fire EVERYONE or fire NO ONE.

If you want to fire her for post season failures, then that fuels the arguement for all the posters who want Dicky gone (1-3 in bowl games) (and I am not a Dickey basher by any means).

No. The people that want Dickey gone because of his OOC failures...which would include bowl games, but it is more so the 65-0 thrashings and 20-13 losses to AA and similar teams. Because the team has no discipline. Because he has nothing in the stables when everyone and their dog knows all the starters will be gone the next season. Because he takes a "me against the fans" attitude.

DD= 4 straight Sunbelt conference titles. He's not going anywhere unless he wants to, as long as he wins conference titles. How many Conference (SLC, Big West or SBC) titles has Slinker won?

That is provided either of those two coaches want to leave their respective posts. UTA and TAMU-CC are doing pretty well. Plus to get a good coach you have to be willing to put up some serious $$$.

The fact Slinker is a good recruiter has made it possible for UNT to have past sucess. It wasn't that long ago UNT WBB had a good program with Slinker coaching, including 2 (almost 3) 20 win seasons.

1998-99 (20-8)

1999-00 (17-11)

2000-01 (19-11)

2001-02 (21-9)

I would at least let this season run its course. 3 straight bad seasons is a bit much considering there were 4 really good years before.

That's why I wouldn't make a good AD. I would either fire EVERYONE or fire NO ONE.

4 winning seasons out of 16 and you want to see how she does this year? If we can't offer more than UTA or TAMU-CC, then that is sad.

4 winning seasons out of 16 and you want to see how she does this year?  If we can't offer more than UTA or TAMU-CC, then that is sad.

You also have to look at the timing of those good seasons.

Last season was a "hickup." The 4 years before that are the ones I listed. Give her credit for recent sucess. I know the other seasons have been peeks and valleys.

If she can't recover from last year, show her the door. However, if she turns things around and UNT WBB posts 17+ wins, why not keep her?

What have you done for me lately? Except for last season, a string of 4 really good seasons.

Plus, who you going to hire (outside of current assistants) in mid season?

You also have to look at the timing of those good seasons.

Last season was a "hickup." The 4 years before that are the ones I listed. Give her credit for recent sucess. I know the other seasons have been peeks and valleys.

If she can't recover from last year, show her the door. However, if she turns things around and UNT WBB posts 17+ wins, why not keep her?

What have you done for me lately? Except for last season, a string of 4 really good seasons.

Plus, who you going to hire (outside of current assistants) in mid season?

If you are going to agrue with stats at least get them correct. First you stated Slinker teams had been in the NCAA tournament. Now you disreguard a year of her record. Here is her record:

1989-90 (16-11)

1990-91 (6-20)

1991-92 (8-18)

1992-93 (9-17)

1993-94 (10-17)

1994-95 (10-17)

1995-96 (11-16)

1996-97 (5-21)

1997-98 (10-17)

1998-99 (20-8)

1999-00 (17-11)

2000-01 (19-11)

2001-02 (21-9)

2002-03 (12-16)

2003-04 (11-17)

2004-05 (5-7)

I doubt that anyone is advocating changing coaches during the season. Most likely Slinker will not be terminated no matter what record she has and if she wins 17 games this season she will be given a life time contract if she already doesn't have one.

I'm disappointed in the direction of the program. I remember going to the SuperPit expecting the Ladies to win every game during my last few years as a student. The fact that we've fallen off so bad is toubling. I'm not advocating firing Slinker...yet.

DD= 4 straight Sunbelt conference titles. He's not going anywhere unless he wants to, as long as he wins conference titles. How many Conference (SLC, Big West or SBC) titles has Slinker won?

DD has 4 straight titles in the worst 1A conference in America. He won't go anywhere because he A) can't have an easier fan base to please and B ) won't get an offer for anything more than a lateral move.

Slinker has zero titles and should no longer be at UNT...IMO.

And just so we are clear, in the last four years, DD has:

2004 - 7-5, 0-5 OOC

2003 - 9-4, 1-4

2002 - 8-5, 2-5

2001 - 5-7, 0-6

That totals a record of:

29-21, 3-20

a winning percentage of:

.580, .130

That has landed him 4 Coach of the Year awards and a contract extension through about 2010.

His teams continue to be undisciplined and looks completely unprepared in OOC games.

One of the 3 OOC wins was against a AA team and one of the losses was to a "tweener."

There has been around 20 vacancies this off-season and DD has been a (known) candidate for ZERO of them. It was known he was up for ONE last season...Idaho.

It would be obtuse for me to say DD has not helped this program...but it would be just as bad for me to think he has done great things too.

Edited by Brent