Impressions of the TCU Game

tonyhuntoon

Partially good assessment of the program/game. The reference to both teams being mediocre is interesting. TCU has already beaten Fla.State and Texas Tech and we hung tough with Alabama. North Texas has a real good chance of winning the post season tournament and on to the big dance. It is alums like you who have made North Texas great.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next year we will play an incredibly tough out of confrence games, anytime you can play two top tier schools like Alabama and Texas in the same year is a great way to get started. For being at such a low level program that we are, and how JJ is using transfers to help boast the program, he needs one good if not great year with some overachieving (hopefully this year they win the conf tourny) and start getting some of the good recruits in the dfw/ok region.

With a lot of big games set for next year, all things seem to be looking up.

My dad took me to basketball games in the old PIT (a long ass time ago). That place was LOUD. One thing the cheerleaders did in the PIT was take the megaphones and bang them on the floor when the other team had the ball. Got everyone claping with it.

I would like to see the cheerleaders do that again...unless there is some rule against it.

How different is that from the Duke (Puke) student body (and Michigan copy cats) jumping up and down yelling? (I hate Michigan, I hate the entire ACC, especially Puke and No Class N. Carolina)

'92? Why the name calling? I'm a MORON now because I don't agree with you, and I should go home? Maybe you should check out your picture under your I.D. Kind of makes me want to consider the source. Know what I mean?

A true freshman can run a team pretty well. Check out Dee Brown and Deron Williams of Illinois when they were freshman. Outstanding. Ever hear of Carmelo Anthony?

Why the name calling indeed? I'm sure GangGreen would appreciate an apology for being called a jerk by only noticing that you had only negative things to say.

And I don't really know what you are trying to accomplish by comparing our freshmen to top tier NCAA power school's freshmen. Trust me, everyone knows that we don't have a Carmelo Anthony playing for our team, so don't try to hold it against Sturns that he couldn't come in as a true freshman and dominate a game in a position he hadn't played before prior to the beginning of this season. Sturns and Williams are a couple of the best recruits that NT has had in awhile, and I am excited to that I will be able to watch them mature and do great things for our school.

My dad took me to basketball games in the old PIT (a long ass time ago). That place was LOUD. One thing the cheerleaders did in the PIT was take the megaphones and bang them on the floor when the other team had the ball. Got everyone claping with it.

I would like to see the cheerleaders do that again...unless there is some rule against it.

There is probably a rule against it. There is a rule against just about everything nowadays.

The only gripe I had about the game was that we were subjected to YMCA twice.  That song is slightly ahead of Fly Like an Eagle in songs that make me want to stick a screwdriver in my temple and hearing it twice in one night was like a warning from God of what Hell may sound like.  YMCA is overplayed anyway, just like Space Jam, the "I like to move it move it" song, and Gettin Jiggy Wit it.  Let's update our database of songs...

The Pit Crew is actively lobbying for change in this department. I expect changes in the near future.

It would be cool if there were some visuals to get the fans into it. I think it would be funny if they would recreate the old Eppy from the '80s. The one that looked like a Duck. ANd the only time he would appear is if it was RALLY TIME! Like the rally monkeys of the Ca. Angels. The announcer could yell out it's rally time, play the rally clap, and the odd bird could trot across the floor with a baseball bat. I remember the guy that was the mascot back in '86 was really funny and got the crowd into it. Even got a technical foul once.

Then along the same lines, get one of those goofy skeleton costumes. Put it on some 7 year old. When the game is in the bag, have him trot across the floor. No announcement. Nothing. But everybody would know what it means. Can you imagine the roar that would get?

These are my two goofy suggestions.

How about the team plays well, wins games, gets everyone free burgers and more people would show up. Let the Pit Crew keep doing there thing, and let people hear how much fun COLLEGE games are. Those would be good suggestions if you want to entertain people at Mav's games, but shouldn't the college atomosphere be enough (with a winning product) to put people in the seats? It would for me, but I may be the only one ph34r.gif .

How about the team plays well, wins games, gets everyone free burgers and more people would show up. Let the Pit Crew keep doing there thing, and let people hear how much fun COLLEGE games are. Those would be good suggestions if you want to entertain people at Mav's games, but shouldn't the college atomosphere be enough (with a winning product) to put people in the seats? It would for me, but I may be the only one  ph34r.gif .

Well, yeah..............it SHOULD be. But we are going to have to do things other than what would be the norm.

People on these boards endlessly ponder what it would take to bring alumni and other fans to UNT games more often.

This guy takes time out of a trip to DFW to attend a game, and tells people exactly what it would take to make him want to come more often.

What's the response? People rip him to shreds, starting with this post:

Sure appreciate the opinions mostly negative of someone who has not been to a game in eight years.

I'm sure that will make him want to come back. Maybe you folks should consider what he's saying instead of acting like the AD's your oversensitive kid brother. We gotta stop acting like you have to be a pollyanna kiss-ass to be a true UNT fan.

From all my fellow students who attended the game, thought the game was pretty fun, even though we played pretty bad. Most of them said that they would be glad to come back to more games, and would try to bring others. It was nice to hear the place get loud at a few points, even though the band played during the "North" - "Texas" chant.

If you put out a good product and have a good atmosphere more people will come, even if the majority of the people here hate sports.

People on these boards endlessly ponder what it would take to bring alumni and other fans to UNT games more often.

This guy takes time out of a trip to DFW to attend a game, and tells people exactly what it would take to make him want to come more often.

What's the response? People rip him to shreds, starting with this post:

I'm sure that will make him want to come back. Maybe you folks should consider what he's saying instead of acting like the AD's your oversensitive kid brother. We gotta stop acting like you have to be a pollyanna kiss-ass to be a true UNT fan.

If he would have said something positive, I mean anything positive rather than just bash everything and everyone he could think of, then I don't think he would gotten the response he did. All GangGreen did was notice that he had nothing but negative things to say, and that really doesn't help anything, does it? We all know the problems that we have, but we usually try to come up with ideas to make things better. It isn't very constructive to simply make numbered lists with how "1. so and so sucks, 2. such and such sucks, 3. so and so sucks, etc..."

"e-bone":

Go back and read the post.

Quote: Good energetic game; Stadium looked great, first class. If you are going to comment at least read the post.

Ideas to make it better? I have bushels full. I gave two of them about 5 posts ago.

I only wish they would give me the keys to the promotional component of NT athletics, man it would be great!

One of the first things I would do is BRING BACK THE WORM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

biggrin.gif

Edited by tonyhuntoon

Sorry, I was confused by the contradictions.

Good energetic game, poor free throw shooting, on offense they need to learn how to stay in motion. Way too much standing around on the offensive end.

Do something to bring some life into the arena, ANYTHING!
Edited by e-bone

About the NY reference, NY is a great place. The rudeness that you suggested is incredibly overexaggerated, kind of like the Texan friendliness. About 95% of the people I have met up here are extremely nice and will totally go out of their way to help you in anyway. Just because you don't like what I am saying doesn't give you a license to show your ignorance and indict a whole region of people. Do yourself a favor and step outside of the borders of Texas. You might find that it isn't a big, cold, scary place afterall.

Been to NYC twice. Great city, rude people. So, I have stepped outside of the borders of TX. Chicago people are about the same as NY.

TX friendliness was ruined when all the yankees headed this way for jobs in the 80's.

Tonyhuntoon, pay no attention to these spillers of vile. EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion. This reminds me of those who say if you do not think we should be in Iraq you are unAmerican. (how many of you are flying your flag today? Did you forget what day it is - Pearl Harbor Day.

We, like most schools, have fans who are 100% percent behind the team and coach (regardless of the sport) as long as they are winning but are ready to throw in the towel when we lose. Dallas has always been known as a winners/whiners town and Denton is not that far away.

I made my first trip to NYC a couple of years ago and everyone was nice from people on the subway to the hotel and restaurant. As far as the people on the street , I make a point (just a plain old country boy from Dixie) and speak first. If they do not reply I just assume it is due to shock. I will be going back up there after the NOB because I enjoyed it so much and there is still a lot to see and do.

remember the guy that was the mascot back in '86 was really funny and got the crowd into it. Even got a technical foul once.

That would have been one Myles Alfonso, who not only taught me everything I used in my performances during the 88 thru 90 seasons as Eppy but he also hand made all the Eppy costumes during that era. Talons was 120+ strong back then filling nearly an entire section.

Talon90 and myself also wondered where in hell all the conference championship banners went? Not having them kind of erases the memories and efforts of those who came before hand.

You could just about and go watch any Krum High School game and see a better show than during any of the Trilli years.

And I love the Dancers, much more dirty dancing these days than during the 80's and 90's. I also love "Fly like an Eagle". Every time I hear it I remember Salt Lake City in '88. Great times.

And finally, I love visiting New York because it reminds me how good we have it here in Texas. As the song say's...."God Bless Texas".

Rick

Just wanted to say thanks to the people who posted comments supporting the dancers and cheerleaders. We work really hard to support the Mean Green and are trying to get some excitement going on in the coliseum this year! Hope to see everyone at the rest of the games this season... and the New Orleans Bowl!! biggrin.gif

FirefightnRick, I'm with you on the banners. The Pit looks a little empty without them. Supposedly, they were getting new ones made in 2002 for the men and women. I'm not sure what happened with that.

Weren't they supposed to put a banner for you and Rosalyn up since they retired your numbers at the same time the new banners were put up? It never happend.

I actually started a thread about this a while back and suggested that we start a fundraiser on this board to get new banners for our conference champion teams that look like something a major university would have. The suggestion was not met well with some posters...

There is no doubt all our championship teams need to be honored with a little higher quality banner than the two currently up, and those who were told their jersey would be retired, need to have their jersey retired.

I do believe that there should be banners representing what's been accomplished over the last 20 years. Unfortunately, the current ones don't really do that. Again, I don't know what happened with the ones that were supposedly being made but they were to go up no later than 2003. I haven't heard anything since then. I was told that Rosalyn and I would have our numbers retired Feb. 12th, which is Alumni night. Hopefully it's not just a rumor.

I actually started a thread about this a while back and suggested that we start a fundraiser on this board to get new banners for our conference champion teams that look like something a major university would have.  The suggestion was not met well with some posters...

Let's try this again.

There's no excuse for not having the accomplishments of our teams and players hanging from the rafters.

Any idea on the costs of these banners?