UTRGV Leaves WAC for Southland

2 minutes ago, untcampbell said:

Proportionately to pay an exit fee of $2 million to leave the WAC is the equivalent of Clemson's battle with the ACC. The struggle is real. 

GMG

They'll recoup it over a 2-3 year span with all of the regional travel savings instead of having to fly all around UT/AZ/CA & Seattle.

• Upvote 6

Posted (edited)

Official Announcement

UTRGV Athletics Accepts Invitation to Join Southland Conference in 2024-25 - Southland Conference

“There are many benefits that this move will bring to our student-athletes, fans, and alumni. The Southland Conference is positioned in a tight footprint between Texas and Louisiana. This will allow our student-athletes to spend less time traveling cross-country and more time at home training, recovering, and preparing for competition and will significantly reduce missed class time. With significantly reduced travel, there will be cost savings that allow our department to reinvest in the student-athlete experience in ways we haven’t been able to before.”

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 1

On 3/21/2024 at 11:33 PM, UNTLifer said:

Here go the dominoes 

I’m hearing rumors that aTm Commerce is headed to the WAC and Austin College will replace them in the Southland.

• Confused 1

On 3/23/2024 at 12:15 AM, Matt from A700 said:

Now since the minor league soccer team folded, I wonder if they will extend the bleachers a few rows closer to the field. Field suites look terrible.

image.png.5ed0f6deca92fc04432550ef0c9e6d0d.png

Not nearly as bad as the SJSU re-do with a building wall and some random beach loungers to watch the game from, lol...

The rise of SJSU's Spartan Athletics Center: what means for football and  all the universities sports programs - Mountain West Connection

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not everyone is going to land in the $EC or B1G. Everyone else is fighting for scraps and needs to figure out who they want as business partners in that endeavor. 

UTPA/UTRGV ever since being nudged out of the Belt has wanted to be in the Southland. Glad to see them find that fit.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

I grew up in Edinburg back when Abe Lemons was their basketball coach. Their finances are more stable now than back when they "withdrew" from the Belt. 

I’m from Edinburg, too. My friends/family that attended there are pretty excited to have a local football team to root for. 

11 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

The consolidation I’m sure helped but Pan American was a cool name. 

My father graduated from what was then called Edinburg Junior College in 1937. It was started by the Edinburg ISD and the shared campus and buildings with the school district. The town made a very big deal out of them changing from Pan American College to Pan American University sometime in the 60s. I'm told by friends who still live down there that the support in the area is still mixed but growing slowly. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

My father graduated from what was then called Edinburg Junior College in 1937. It was started by the Edinburg ISD and the shared campus and buildings with the school district. The town made a very big deal out of them changing from Pan American College to Pan American University sometime in the 60s. I'm told by friends who still live down there that the support in the area is still mixed but growing slowly. 

Interesting. UALR started as a juco run by Little Rock school district. When the schools got closed as part of the Central High crisis, the district spun it off as a private school so it could stay open. UA-Fort Smith (Division II) was created as a juco by Fort Smith School district before getting its own charter and board as WestArk. Only ones I know of that started by local school districts 

4 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

Interesting. UALR started as a juco run by Little Rock school district. When the schools got closed as part of the Central High crisis, the district spun it off as a private school so it could stay open. UA-Fort Smith (Division II) was created as a juco by Fort Smith School district before getting its own charter and board as WestArk. Only ones I know of that started by local school districts 

The University of Houston was started by the Houston ISD as a juco in 1927 became four year school in 1934.

The History of University of Houston - Texas Proud

That is why many Texas A&M students refer to UH as Couger High. 

Edited by MCMLXXX