Bball game day

So older alum here. I am trying to hang onto my love of college sports and North Texas athletics. I have enjoyed the resurgence of the program since Grant got here. I am also a fan of Johnny Jones and see him occasionally here in Houston area. I have learned to love our hustle defense and grinding offense. And seeing us on tv down here in Kingwood is a blast for me. So may make this two posts since doing from my phone and don’t want to make too long but have slot of thoughts FWIW

• Upvote 2

My youngest daughter recently graduated from Arkansas (and yes that game I had lots of friend and family with us, but that’s another story). Her boyfriend’s mother and husband are huge boosters. So last year and just recently we were invited to join them in their suite for Saturday bball game. And while watching the game I am taking notes why their game day atmosphere is so electrifying and fun. My thought is IF WE COULD DO 50% of this it would be a game changer for the students and guests

* lots of families, so groups are 4-5

* band - big deal, I counted around 70. They are playing all pre game. Anything from classics to Ozzy. Really loud and with pump up music. They take an entire corner section

* the announcer is a professional. He is on all pregame with getting the crown into the game at all times. The guy is great at what he does. Makes a difference at lulls.

* they call the hogs we have the north Texas chant

* lots of stuff going on in the corridor. They sell memorabilia and stuff. This last game they had piglets for kids to hold, very popular and looked fun.

* light show was cool and entrace

My main thoughts was the atmosphere was hyped and fun. The most the game but guarantee the crowd was upset but still had a great time. These items seem doable but my goal would be to enlarge the band. I know this may be hard but it is the pulse of the arena. Sure if they get to play cool songs the musicians sound like to be a part of it 

• Upvote 4

Send your ideas to the AD, although I would leave the part about the piglets out. Oh and don’t replace them with baby eagles. That could be a mess. 

Seriously though, send them in. It can’t hurt. 

• Haha 1

The produced game day experience has felt frozen in time for multiple decades now. Really thought Wren was gonna invest in it, then had hopes for the next regime and now I just hope we finally get mops. I still remember the high of the RV memorial replay monitor coming in after the UTA loss and can’t wait to feel that way about some piddly little push brooms. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Quoner said:

The produced game day experience has felt frozen in time for multiple decades now. Really thought Wren was gonna invest in it, then had hopes for the next regime and now I just hope we finally get mops. I still remember the high of the RV memorial replay monitor coming in after the UTA loss and can’t wait to feel that way about some piddly little push brooms. 

It warms my heart to get so many on board with this. I am starting communication with the AD to see how I can donate these. I am assuming the logo needs to be a certain one. I have been looking at gamemop.com.

• Upvote 3