South Florida (2/3/24)

CMJ

5 minutes ago, aprice said:

no reason to panic about anything really, i think we've seen some great performances while shorthanded, against really good teams.

it is what it is, i think this team is built to really compete next year

I hope we return as many as we can and replace the ones who leave accordingly. Ideally Jones gets his “covid year” and returns to have one finally year with Scott. We replaced Allen with another transfer post who has a year left. Then look at Dixon, Morgan, and Moore and you if they can’t contribute upgrade them. 

• Upvote 2

Starting to come to terms that we won't be seeing any postseason basketball if we're missing any combo of two starters for more significant time. Top four seed for a double bye in the tourney is going to be tough to acquire.

Love Jason, but it appears he doesn't have the closer gene that we desperately need from someone on this team. The past two games have really made me miss TP.

And I don't get how we shoot shitty from the FT line in our gym. It should be the team unfamiliar with the environment that should struggle.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

He plays pretty good defense like Walker but neither seem to be able to score. 

Doesn’t create turnovers. Doesn’t defensively rebound. If you mean by play really good defense means just to run with a player than he is exceptional. 

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

40 minutes ago, Travis said:

Doesn’t create turnovers. Doesn’t defensively rebound. If you mean by play really good defense means just to run with a player than he is exceptional. 

If “tries real hard” was worth even half a point per possession, he’d contribute to a few more wins

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Matt from A700 said:

Starting to come to terms that we won't be seeing any postseason basketball if we're missing any combo of two starters for more significant time. Top four seed for a double bye in the tourney is going to be tough to acquire.

Love Jason, but it appears he doesn't have the closer gene that we desperately need from someone on this team. The past two games have really made me miss TP.

And I don't get how we shoot shitty from the FT line in our gym. It should be the team unfamiliar with the environment that should struggle.

He may not, but when you score 30 points, I feel like it shouldn't always be on one guy.

I will say, he drew the foul in the SMU game to pretty much seal that one. It's tough to rely on one guy night in and night out. We got spoiled by TP.

Edited by BigWillie
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Actual court mops have been ordered btw. Really annoying it took a player getting injured to do so. 

I saw they had some out there tonight. I emailed the department to ask how I would go about donating some. Are you saying they ordered branded ones?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

Jason Edwards scored 31.  The rest of the team COMBINED scored 24.   

Kinda hard to blame a guy for not being a “closer” when he’s the one doing enough to make having a “closer” relevant

Oh I got it, I try to not to get too greedy. Jason has spoiled us with some big-time scoring numbers already, but it has been a glaring missing component since way back in the early nonconference play that when we need a bucket to put the game away, Jason hasn't been able to convert those opportunities. But like you said, we need offensive contribution from everyone on the court for those first 35+ minutes. I'd definitely prefer Jason to only have 15 going into the last media timeout of that meant he had gas left to hit a dagger or two.

2 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

How many games did TP play without Kai Hunstberry, Abou Ousmane, and Grant McCasland? TP didn’t have Rubin (started 5 games) in his backcourt. TP didn’t have Sissoko (started 4 games) in the front court. TP didn’t have a 1st year head coach. 

TP wouldn’t be closing games with THIS roster in THIS conference .  Conference USA was a weaker conference and “closing” games was doable AND required WITH a better backcourt mate, AND a better front court, AND a more experienced Head Coach.  Closing would not be on the table. 

TP now plays in a better conference than Conference USA, he has a much better supporting cast, AND he has a much more experienced coach. His team is currently 11th of 14 AND he has career low numbers in FG% (33.6%) and 3PT FG% (30.9%). He’s playing more minutes than ever before (35.9) yet his scoring is down (from 17.3 to 14.4) and his turnovers are up (2.3). I guess the ball is larger and the rims are smaller in the Big XII.

You miss Conference USA, Grant McCasland, Abou, and Kai - you just don’t realize it. If Edwards played in Conference USA against that level of competition, had Kai, had Abou, and Grant McCasland, he STILL would not be the closer that TP was. The games would be won by double digits and not by a TP 3 with 2 seconds remaining. 

2/3/2024 OK State 75 Kansas State 72

Why didn’t TP close against the worst team in the Big XII? OK State was 1-7 in conference. The answer: Conference USA was a weak conference! The Big XII is better. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

How many games did TP play without Kai Hunstberry, Abou Ousmane, and Grant McCasland? TP didn’t have Rubin (started 5 games) in his backcourt. TP didn’t have Sissoko (started 4 games) in the front court. TP didn’t have a 1st year head coach. 

TP wouldn’t be closing games with THIS roster in THIS conference .  Conference USA was a weaker conference and “closing” games was doable AND required WITH a better backcourt mate, AND a better front court, AND a more experienced Head Coach.  Closing would not be on the table. 

TP now plays in a better conference than Conference USA, he has a much better supporting cast, AND he has a much more experienced coach. His team is currently 11th of 14 AND he has career low numbers in FG% (33.6%) and 3PT FG% (30.9%). He’s playing more minutes than ever before (35.9) yet his scoring is down (from 17.3 to 14.4) and his turnovers are up (2.3). I guess the ball is larger and the rims are smaller in the Big XII.

You miss Conference USA, Grant McCasland, Abou, and Kai - you just don’t realize it. If Edwards played in Conference USA against that level of competition, had Kai, had Abou, and Grant McCasland, he STILL would not be the closer that TP was. The games would be won by double digits and not by a TP 3 with 2 seconds remaining. 

2/3/2024 OK State 75 Kansas State 72

Why didn’t TP close against the worst team in the Big XII? OK State was 1-7 in conference. The answer: Conference USA was a weak conference! The Big XII is better. 

I think his point was more about having a closer, and not so much about having TP.

4 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Oh I got it, I try to not to get too greedy. Jason has spoiled us with some big-time scoring numbers already, but it has been a glaring missing component since way back in the early nonconference play that when we need a bucket to put the game away, Jason hasn't been able to convert those opportunities. But like you said, we need offensive contribution from everyone on the court for those first 35+ minutes. I'd definitely prefer Jason to only have 15 going into the last media timeout of that meant he had gas left to hit a dagger or two.

Buggs 35 mins 8 pts 2-3

A-Scott 31 mins 4 pts 1-9

Dello 37 mins 0 pts 0-2

Stone 15 mins 0 pts 0-1

The word closer should not find its way into any conversation pertaining to tonight’s contest. 

• Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I think his point was more about having a closer, and not so much about having TP.

I repeat - The term closer cannot be used when speaking of tonight’s game when the offensive contributions outside of Jason was putrid. And that is putting it nicely.

Buggs 35 mins 8 pts 2-3

A-Scott 31 mins 4 pts 1-9

Dello 37 mins 0 pts 0-2

Stone 15 mins 0 pts 0-1

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, BigWillie said:

I saw they had some out there tonight. I emailed the department to ask how I would go about donating some. Are you saying they ordered branded ones?

Yeah, they’ve ordered the real deal court mops. The swiffer wet jets are temporary.

Edited by MeanGreen22
  • Puking Eagle 1

Edwards has been PHENOMENAL.
Not many teams are winning games in the American missing their 2nd and 3rd best offensive players. Especially with a roster as defensive-minded as ours. 
There was NOBODY else on the court for us last night that can create their own shot. Nobody. And yet Edwards kept us in the game. 
Buggs can hit open 3’s. So can Scott, who can also hit a runner when he isn’t being guarded. Once or twice a game, Allen can back his man down and get a bucket. Walker might be good for a putback or two. 
But only Edwards, Rubin and CJ can put the ball on the floor and get to the basket. If you are missing two of those guys, it is not going to be good in the American. 
This season is still a fun ride. We can make noise in the conference tournament. And considering the staff/player turnover & injuries, a deep NIT or CBI run is still a successful season. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Not many teams are winning games in the American missing their 2nd and 3rd best offensive players. Especially with a roster as defensive-minded as ours. 
There was NOBODY else on the court for us last night that can create their own shot. Nobody. And yet Edwards kept us in the game. 
Buggs can hit open 3’s. So can Scott, who can also hit a runner when he isn’t being guarded. Once or twice a game, Allen can back his man down and get a bucket. Walker might be good for a putback or two. 
But only Edwards, Rubin and CJ can put the ball on the floor and get to the basket. If you are missing two of those guys, it is not going to be good in the American. 
This season is still a fun ride. We can make noise in the conference tournament. And considering the staff/player turnover & injuries, a deep NIT or CBI run is still a successful season. 

This is exactly my goal too.

You are right. Injuries are definitely part of the game and we can't expect this to be the same team missing 2 starters.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenZen said:

🏆