students at the games

drex

Was this a flash in the pan or will the athletic department keep up the momentum to get the students out for the next home games?  Whatever the department did, it worked and they should not drop the ball on continued student support...that takes effort that I hope we see at future games.  It probably would be a good thing to publicly thank the students for their support vs. SMU.

• Upvote 5
  • RV 1

42 minutes ago, drex said:

Was this a flash in the pan or will the athletic department keep up the momentum to get the students out for the next home games?  Whatever the department did, it worked and they should not drop the ball on continued student support...that takes effort that I hope we see at future games.  It probably would be a good thing to publicly thank the students for their support vs. SMU.

The elephant in the room is all the extra Adults (age 25-55) inside the Super Pit.  What brought them in (potential good game?) and what can be done to bring them back? 

I think they greatly outnumbered the extra students.  Look in the photo,  many sitting remotely, especially upper sections, like detached but still interested enough to show up.  That's encouraging....

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, drex said:

Whatever the department did . . .

57 minutes ago, NT80 said:

What brought them in (potential good game?) and what can be done to bring them back? 

It's no mystery.  Look at our top 10 attended games of all time, and almost all of them have a clear relationship to opponent.  SMU may not be a powerhouse, but games against them typically generate interest among the UNT fanbase.

What the A.D. can do in its future promotions is to point out why our upcoming opponents are interesting, and why fans can legitimately hope to see a win against them if they attend.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 4

Good points all.  No doubt, SMU was a draw. Seems to me that the energy of the student section drove the incredible atmosphere...hope it continues.

• Upvote 3

What brought them here was 2 good teams competing against each other with an added bonus of the opponent being local.

Nobody did anything extra to get people out other than both of them being good. As long as that is the focus, attendance will naturally improve.  

Edited by aprice
  • Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

4 hours ago, aprice said:

What brought them here was 2 good teams competing against each other with an added bonus of the opponent being local.

Nobody did anything extra to get people out other than both of them being good. As long as that is the focus, attendance will naturally improve.  

You’re right about it being two good teams that brought the crowd out  - but BOTH of these  universities and their fans want to get top billing in the Metroplex and thump their chests as such.  This year UNT won the LOCAL THRILLA’  IN MANILA .  So for now the Mean Green faithful can brag and that’s what makes it fun.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, aprice said:

disagree I was called twice about tickets once about 10 days out and once again about 3 days out.  I also received 2/3 text message reminders also.  I imagine they have a database once you purchase tickets you are in.  Definitely the biggest push by the Athletic Department that I have felt as a fan.  It was unfortunate my entire family was sick or we would have been plus 4 to whatever the number was.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

18 hours ago, drex said:

Winning, keep having winning seasons.  People support winners. Look at UNT when we went to the HOD bowl.  It is easy to support winning.  It is hard for the average person to attend when winning isn't consistently happening.  Sounds lame but its the reality of sports.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, drex said:

Good points all.  No doubt, SMU was a draw. Seems to me that the energy of the student section drove the incredible atmosphere...hope it continues.

Now just imagine how the pit could’ve looked if SMU was a draw for any of the 1.4 million people in Dallas

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

Now just imagine how the pit could’ve looked if SMU was a draw for any of the 1.4 million people in Dallas

That's the whole sham about $mut's "Dallas" campaign...the Dallas public doesn't recognize their program nor support them.  They don't represent Dallas.  I would wager far more true Dallas residents graduated from UNT than $mut.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, NT80 said:

That's the whole sham about $mut's "Dallas" campaign...the Dallas public doesn't recognize their program nor support them.  They don't represent Dallas.  I would wager far more true Dallas residents graduated from UNT than $mut.  

If you want to go a step further, UNT Dallas is way more Dallas than SMU.  It actually sits in Dallas and benefits students who are in need, not some rich spoiled brats driving 150K cars at 18.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2