Breaking: North Texas Lands a Commitment from Kilgore OL Braydon Nelson

7 minutes ago, Cooke County Kid said:

Good offensive or defensive lineman are always needed. 

7 minutes ago, Cooke County Kid said:

Good offensive or defensive lineman are always needed. 

Yes, you can't have enough linemen. Also, just asking, is it easy to flip an OL to the defensive line?

• Upvote 1

We will have around 15 on scholarship next year. We lost 8 OL to graduation and the transfer portal.

The following OL are going to be seniors.

Paula V

Gabe Blair

Jett Duncan

Larry Moore

So the long winded answer is yes.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, jtm0097 said:

We will have around 15 on scholarship next year. We lost 8 OL to graduation and the transfer portal.

Paula V

Gabe Blair

Jett Duncan

Larry Moore

Not to mention we were told we were 5-7 scholarships ol short when Morris arrived 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

Paula V

Gabe Blair

Jett Duncan

Larry Moore

15 scholarship players for a position group where you need 5 on the field at a time seems really low. Assuming 3 per position means 10 of those 15 are in your 2 deep and there's really no depth to handle injuries as they occur. I realize some will play multiple positions but still, there's very little room for error in talent evaluation. 

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, wardly said:

Yes, you can't have enough linemen. Also, just asking, is it easy to flip an OL to the defensive line?

I have asked that in the past. Most recently, Smallwood out of Denison wasn’t cracking our two-deep on OL and had played DT in high school. I wondered if they ever considered looking at him at DL. Maybe they did and realized he just wasn’t a D1 player. You would think if they had the talent, they would find their way on to the field. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/19/2024 at 9:25 PM, UNTLifer said:

I have asked that in the past. Most recently, Smallwood out of Denison wasn’t cracking our two-deep on OL and had played DT in high school. I wondered if they ever considered looking at him at DL. Maybe they did and realized he just wasn’t a D1 player. You would think if they had the talent, they would find their way on to the field. 

Mr. Smallwood got a FCS offer from Lamar and decided to go the JUCO route. Regarding the move to DT, I think it was the latter. 

The point of my question was/is that it has been reported we only had a few spots, 8-10, left in this class. We also need DL depth/help and that seems to be an area that has been overlooked. Just my HO. 

• Ray 1