QB commit - Chandler Morris - transfer from TCU

20 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I mean, we destroyed Cinci in a bowl game once, and I didn't see CUSA-tier athletes coming to this Sun Belt school.

Both of us are right to varying degrees.  I just think, for most kids, a full conference slate of AAC teams is cooler than an opportunity to win a ton and be rewarded with....a matchup with Rice.

Didn't we pick up Jamario after that bowl game?

And yes, if all things were equal, you're absolutely right.   An 8-win team carrying impressive momentum (doubling their win total from the previous season) in the AAC VS SBC would likely be a no-brainer choice for the AAC school.
But things are not equal.  UNT REGRESSED from the previous season.  Our momentum is going the wrong way.

If Kinne is able to sell recruits on being the next ranked team in the SBC (like AppSt, Louisiana, Troy, Coastal, & JMU), because his team is on the up-&-up, that may weigh more than Coach Morris' pitch... whatever that is right now... who is spinning wheels as far as results on the field are concerned. 

I bet Kinne's goals next year are pretty high, and not playing in the 1st Responder bowl again.
With everything we lost in the offseason, UNT's should realistically be somewhere around #hit6, which would be an improvement.

Not to mention (coming back to the original argument), the target recruit in this scenario has his father on the coaching staff of 1 of the schools now, which only adds a little more strength to TXSt's pull.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We landed Jamario because we have resources that accommodated his dyslexia.

We regressed, but it's not like there is the cavernous divide between our program and TxState's 8-win season.

If we were only winning 2-3 games, then I would totally understand a recruit going with Kinne and Co.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 4

On 2/22/2024 at 12:47 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

And yes, if all things were equal, you're absolutely right.   An 8-win team carrying impressive momentum (doubling their win total from the previous season) in the AAC VS SBC would likely be a no-brainer choice for the AAC school.
But things are not equal.  UNT REGRESSED from the previous season.  Our momentum is going the wrong way.

If Kinne is able to sell recruits on being the next ranked team in the SBC (like AppSt, Louisiana, Troy, Coastal, & JMU), because his team is on the up-&-up, that may weigh more than Coach Morris' pitch... whatever that is right now... who is spinning wheels as far as results on the field are concerned. 

I bet Kinne's goals next year are pretty high, and not playing in the 1st Responder bowl again.
With everything we lost in the offseason, UNT's should realistically be somewhere around #hit6, which would be an improvement.

Not to mention (coming back to the original argument), the target recruit in this scenario has his father on the coaching staff of 1 of the schools now, which only adds a little more strength to TXSt's pull.

They lost their entire QB room.  I haven’t followed them enough to know who else, but every year is a toss up for every team now.  I don’t know how you can definitively say we are better or worse than they are.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

44 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

They lost their entire QB room.  I haven’t followed them enough to know who else, but every year is a toss up for every team now.  I don’t know how you can definitively say we are better or worse than they are.

I dunno if this is making a good point for him moving to them or not.   I'm pretty sure he came here because he knew he had a great shot of starting, since we also "lost our QB room"... in saying Chandler Rogers left.  (I don't think SE is going to win us more than 2-3 games).
I believe, TXSt also had deLaura committed when CMorris committed here.   That guy has since been kicked off their team for being a scumbag.  So they still have an empty QB room.   Meanwhile, we're hedging our bets with Reese Mooney.  Doesn't exactly scream, "We're committed to CMorris!!" to me.

As for how I can definitively say TXSt better than us right now:
UNT: 5-7 (down from 6-7)
TXSt: 8-5 (up from 4-8)
Common opponent: both losses to UTSA, but ours was worse.

The QB in question would kinda tip the scales a little in our favor maybe, especially if TXSt goes into their season with the QBs on their current roster, I dunno. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

50 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

5ba95c9a-476e-4a59-927c-b0cabc006462_tex

We were not 6-7 in 2022, we were 7-5 and 7-7 if you count our conference championship game and bowl game losses. Littrell was 7-6 and Bennett was 0-1.

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I dunno if this is making a good point for him moving to them or not.   I'm pretty sure he came here because he knew he had a great shot of starting, since we also "lost our QB room"... in saying Chandler Rogers left.  (I don't think SE is going to win us more than 2-3 games).
I believe, TXSt also had deLaura committed when CMorris committed here.   That guy has since been kicked off their team for being a scumbag.  So they still have an empty QB room.   Meanwhile, we're hedging our bets with Reese Mooney.  Doesn't exactly scream, "We're committed to CMorris!!" to me.

The QB in question would kinda tip the scales a little in our favor maybe, especially if TXSt goes into their season with the QBs on their current roster, I dunno. 

From where I sit, TxSt was worse than us heading into the offseason before last year.  Then they brought in 50 transfers and had a pretty decent year.  A better year than we had? Yep, absolutely.

Now fast forward to this year and we are the ones bringing in 50+ new players and turning over our roster.  Who is to say we won’t reverse positions?  Is it likely?  No clue, but the way transfers have completely upended roster continuity now, I am not going to set an expectation either way until I see teams in the field.  This is where I was going with my response to your claim that they were definitely better than us.  I just don’t know how you can possibly know that at this point.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

5ba95c9a-476e-4a59-927c-b0cabc006462_tex

We were not 6-7 in 2022, we were 7-5 and 7-7 if you count our conference championship game and bowl game losses. Littrell was 7-6 and Bennett was 0-1.

Yikes.  Good catch.   For me, 2022 was mainly spent pining for Littrell to go.  I thought he did worse, but you’re right, we played in a CCG!  😂

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Word from some of the players is that Cash is the man ahead of Reese. And will be pushing Stone for the starting job right now. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Oh Boy! 2

13 hours ago, MeanGreen2024 said:

Word from some of the players is that Cash is the man ahead of Reese. And will be pushing Stone for the starting job right now. 

The kid has been in town a little more than a month with zero official practices. Wouldn’t this be a tad premature?

• Upvote 3

On 2/24/2024 at 3:49 PM, MeanGreen2024 said:

I'm pretty sure they have been practicing. Just with no pads. Running plays and 7on7. 

I will wait until official practices to start. Then again, those haven’t really proven anything in the past, have they. 

• Upvote 1