HE’S STILL HERE?

meangreenbob

6 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Did you write your check to buy him out?

Why would I write a check to buy him out? I’m not the one who carelessly hired him, then foolishly signed him to a contract of 40,000k a month and then sat by and watched all season as he continued to try and force a square peg into a round hole. 

• Upvote 11
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 7
  • Puking Eagle 1

41 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

After 53 years of attending UNT football games I’ve earned my exemption. I’ve paid my dues. 

So, no, you no longer attend?  I've attended for roughly the same amount of time and wondered if it were you sitting close to me Saturday.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

Morris laid to rest any hope of him firing Caponi at his UAB press conference last Tuesday. He clearly stated he supports Caponi's direction leading our defense into next season. I'm pissed about it. Caponi was paid more than every other G5 assistant in the FBS, and produced the worst results in the FBS. And those that are paid to lead our athletics believe this is good enough. You can't make this crap up. Ever with clear data of Caponi's complete failure, Morris won't let him go. It's irritating and sad all at the same time. How can we as fans be expected to be excited about next season when our program is being held hostage by pure stubbornness. Nothing in the stats or results support Caponi returning. But here we are. Someone in the athletic department needs to step up and make this right. If more fans and students walk away from our program, those at the athletic department will only have themselves to blame. This is an issue only because those with the power to fix it refuse to do so. 

You can listen to Morris' comments supporting Caponi in this press conference..........

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

That line of criticism is clearly getting to him. It would sure behoove him to elaborate as to why there is confidence and what the vision is for getting Caponi to where and when the defense is successful. I get that this whole coaching change is an investment with near term risk but also long term upside but after watching that defense in particular get burned by everyone all year, he would need to explain HOW there could be major improvement in the now near term. It’s not enough for just Coach Morris to have confidence. He should address why. That’s the only way there would be a chance of fans sharing that confidence. And if he thinks it is not important for us to share in it, that would be a mistake.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

That line of criticism is clearly getting to him. It would sure behoove him to elaborate as to why there is confidence and what the vision is for getting Caponi to where and when the defense is successful. I get that this whole coaching change is an investment with near term risk but also long term upside but after watching that defense in particular get burned by everyone all year, he would need to explain HOW there could be major improvement in the now near term. It’s not enough for just Coach Morris to have confidence. He should address why. That’s the only way there would be a chance of fans sharing that confidence. And if he thinks it is not important for us to share in it, that would be a mistake.

There is nothing Morris can say that will sell me on wanting Caponi in Denton for another season. Caponi's defense is the worst in the FBS. His defense sh!t the bed for an entire season. There is no excuse for that ever. And no Mean Green fan should be expected to accept those results as deserving of a second chance to fail at UNT. Fire Caponi!!! 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

You get hired for a job. You aren’t provided the necessary tools (players in this case) to do your job and have to make do in year one. They hired you to run a system but those tools aren’t here and won’t be until the following year. What do you do?  Do you do the best with what you are provided or do you change to a system that you are not familiar with and try to learn that on the fly for just one year until your pieces arrive?  Something to consider. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

I’d have alot more confidence in the HC if he had a couple talking points on HOW it will improve.

Meh, if it’s personnel (as I tend to think it is) then a good coach isn’t going to publicly throw players under the bus. If it’s making any staff changes, again, he’s not going to say anything publicly until they make a change. So what are you wanting those talking points to be?

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

My point is that instead of getting obviously annoyed and saying ‘we need to improve’, I’d have alot more confidence in the HC if he had a couple talking points on HOW it will improve. That would be better leadership. Instead that part was discouraging.

Yeah, I have no interest in hearing Morris talk about how anything will improve defensively until Caponi is replaced. I have no confidence in Caponi. And the longer Caponi remains, the less confidence I have in Morris. There are a lot of good offensive Air Raid coaches that fail as head coaches because they can't field solid defenses. So right now, Morris is looking a lot like Littrell, and we don't need more of that.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, DentonLurker said:

There are so many excuses for not supporting this program financially it gets exhausting.  I’m just thankful we tax the students and don’t give them a choice. Otherwise, this program would be FCS or D2.

”I’ll support the program when <insert random measure of success>.”

Yet there was the call that the financial backing of this program would fall of a cliff if we let Seth Littrell continue coaching after losing his second conference championship game. It would be far more cost effective they said to pay him $2M+ to go away and pay another guy at the same time to be the new coach rather than letting him coach in the AAC. There must be some money somewhere.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The problem is, we needed a real coach. Someone who could analyze the situation, fill the gaps where needed and implement a system that best utilized the talent we had. What we got was an individual who relied on his P5 employer attracting the needed talent at Iowa St. 
He knows nothing else. He’s limited in his knowledge and implemented the only system he was familiar with. Unfortunately his lack of expertise cost this team a bowl game and maybe even a chance at the AAC title. 
Hiring P5 coaches is not necessarily a good thing. Many are incapable of thinking outside the box at the G5 level. 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

17 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

Hiring P5 coaches is not necessarily a good thing. Many are incapable of thinking outside the box at the G5 level. 

I agree. Many times they don’t understand the grind and the limited resources of the G5 level when compared to the P5. You need a different level of hunger and tenacity than at the well-funded P5s.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2