Mississippi Valley State (12/02/2023)

Big Z

12 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

Wow, this was the most inactive game thread I have seen.

After the first 8 or 9 minutes, it was no longer a competitive game. I personally had nothing to gripe about. The 3 point shooting was good, interior presence was good, guys were making shots through contact, overall a solid game and the good guys imposed their will.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

After the first 8 or 9 minutes, it was no longer a competitive game. I personally had nothing to gripe about. The 3 point shooting was good, interior presence was good, guys were making shots through contact, overall a solid game and the good guys imposed their will.

Who could have predicted that?   They said during the broadcast NT was #8 in defense, only allowing 58 points.  This game will help that average.  Not sure what else we gained from basically a scrimmage.  I wish the bench players would have got more minutes today, before we start the real games again.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Only gripe I had was the small crowd. Too many others probably watching the UT game... 🙄 Students better not lie and say they were "studying"!! Unfortunately, the next four games are going to get buried to Winter Break... wish we could have gotten more home games in November or at least before the break.

Need to have good showings for those first two AAC home games against Tulane and Temple on the 6th and 13th.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Only gripe I had was the small crowd. Too many others probably watching the UT game... 🙄 Students better not lie and say they were "studying"!! Unfortunately, the next four games are going to get buried to Winter Break... wish we could have gotten more home games in November or at least before the break.

Need to have good showings for those first two AAC home games against Tulane and Temple on the 6th and 13th.

Students were having issues getting their online tickets, my daughter planned to attend but never got her tickets and the system was down to get them, so that could be a reason if it was system wide

34 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Who could have predicted that?   They said during the broadcast NT was #8 in defense, only allowing 58 points.  This game will help that average.  Not sure what else we gained from basically a scrimmage.  I wish the bench players would have got more minutes today, before we start the real games again.

I want Alex Cotton to get a few minutes with the first team the next time we're up 15 or more.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, untbowler said:

Students were having issues getting their online tickets, my daughter planned to attend but never got her tickets and the system was down to get them, so that could be a reason if it was system wide

They can’t use their IDs at the gate anymore? Or use it there to get a physical ticket? 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

The only thing I saw was Aaron had a pretty bad offensive night. The only other one like that was LSU. Luckily we didn't need him, but it worries me a little that when it happens, he cannot buy a bucket. In the teens percentage-wise.

I thought CJ Noland would be much better for us. Up to now, he hasn’t stood out. I thought he would come in to provide an offensive punch, but I have been mistaken. He hasn’t really made any mistakes, so that’s always a plus. 
it was nice to see John Buggs get it going early. Too bad he was quiet the rest of the game, though. I liked how he was able to get shots up. We need him to get into a rhythm to get him going before conference games start. 
Ruben looked more aggressive offensively. I liked how he shot the 3 ball when he was open instead of swinging it or driving it in. 
Glad we won, but I’m ready to see more competitive teams to go against. 

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, 3_n_out said:

I thought CJ Noland would be much better for us. Up to now, he hasn’t stood out. I thought he would come in to provide an offensive punch, but I have been mistaken. He hasn’t really made any mistakes, so that’s always a plus. 
it was nice to see John Buggs get it going early. Too bad he was quiet the rest of the game, though. I liked how he was able to get shots up. We need him to get into a rhythm to get him going before conference games start. 
Ruben looked more aggressive offensively. I liked how he shot the 3 ball when he was open instead of swinging it or driving it in. 

To read your write up, you would have thought we lost.  Just kidding but cheer up man, this team we have here is reallt quite good.  Enjoy the moment.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, JT Hammons said:

To read your write up, you would have thought we lost.  Just kidding but cheer up man, this team we have here is reallt quite good.  Enjoy the moment.

I know it’s still early and the team is still gelling with one another. Just wanting to see more production and consistency from our new transfers. I’m just a bit impatient is all

34 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Seems like it's been a few years since we've anyone that could break down their man off the dribble.  I feel like that's Noland's value.

Noland plays like a Fullback on a basketball court.  He's not afraid to take contact on the way to the basket (just sometimes gets a little out of control).  

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, 3_n_out said:

We sub so often that's it's hard for guys to get going sometimes.

• Downvote 1

Not sure why, but we put this game in our calendars for 5p. We pulled up to The Pit and both my wife and I were like "man there's not many people in the parking lot"...

Ended up going to the Christmas Tree lighting at the Square in downtown Denton.

We'll try to better manage our calendars for the next one! 😬

GMG

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Not sure why, but we put this game in our calendars for 5p. We pulled up to The Pit and both my wife and I were like "man there's not many people in the parking lot"...

Ended up going to the Christmas Tree lighting at the Square in downtown Denton.

We'll try to better manage our calendars for the next one! 😬

GMG

It must have been 5pm at one point because I had in my calendar for then too and @Jdawg48 had to point out to me it was at 1. I thought I recalled a graphic a few weeks ago with a couple of game times being changed and that must have been one of them.

• 2 months later...

In case anyone was wanting an update on our friends from Itta Bena, they finally picked up their first win of the season to improve to 1-26. Prairie View A&M becomes the infamous question on this year's mid major sports jeopardy, "This team gave previously 0-26 MVSU their first win of the 2023-24 season."

We have played MVSU several times in the recent past, normally to fill our schedule. MVSU will frequently play the entire nonconference schedule on the road in buy games.

They lost their first 26 games by an average margin of 26.1 points.

Another recent news tidbit, a bill was recently proposed in Mississippi that would close 3 of the state's 8 public universities. Not expected to pass, but this was brought up before in 2009 by the governor, who had suggested merging the three HBCU's into one (Jackson State would absorb Alcorn State and MVSU).

https://apnews.com/article/mississippi-universities-closure-bill-2af28ce5381f230edecb696c5c4aa130

• Upvote 1