Mississippi Valley State (12/02/2023)

Big Z

59 minutes ago, Big Z said:

MVS is 0-6 and they have been blown out every game. 

1pm CST on ESPN +

I don't think NT gets much from these buy a game  opponents.   Glad their at least getting some nice neutral site contests. 

The aac needs to make a scheduling deal with a comparable conference to provide some decent ooc games.  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Looks like MVSU is funding their program by playing a lot of buy games. Just like Alcorn State last year, MVSU is playing zero nonconference home games, but at least Alcorn State won a few.

MVSU has already gone to (and lost by):
LSU (46 points)
Oklahoma (39 points)
UConn (34 points)
TCU (34 points)

They will also travel to play Gonzaga, Baylor, and Liberty before the new year. They rallied to force overtime today at Pacific University but lost by three - that's their only single-digit loss on their 0-7 season.

Hopefully we are able to get all of our guys on the court by the 10-minute mark of the second half.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Matt from A700 said:

Looks like MVSU is funding their program by playing a lot of buy games. Just like Alcorn State last year, MVSU is playing zero nonconference home games, but at least Alcorn State won a few.

MVSU has already gone to (and lost by):
LSU (46 points)
Oklahoma (39 points)
UConn (34 points)
TCU (34 points)

They will also travel to play Gonzaga, Baylor, and Liberty before the new year. They rallied to force overtime today at Pacific University but lost by three - that's their only single-digit loss on their 0-7 season.

Hopefully we are able to get all of our guys on the court by the 10-minute mark of the second half.

This has been going on for a long time.  Many of the historically black colleges finance their programs by playing away games almost exclusively in the non-conference.

It could be a better tactic than relying on student fees.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

16 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I don't think NT gets much from these buy a game  opponents.   Glad their at least getting some nice neutral site contests. 

The aac needs to make a scheduling deal with a comparable conference to provide some decent ooc games.  

Non-competitive games are only good for bench players.  I don't think starters gain much from them.  It also dilutes the value of a season ticket.  It's hard to build up attendance when playing these type opponents.  

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

16 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Non-competitive games are only good for bench players.  I don't think starters gain much from them.  It also dilutes the value of a season ticket.  It's hard to build up attendance when playing these type opponents.  

Yes but I don't think you can argue that this team has taken it easy in the non conference games this season.  This was a much harder schedule than Mac ever had.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, NT80 said:

I used to think this too, but I realized it does give the starters a chance to gel and work on defensive and offensive sets.

• Upvote 2

Our defense isn’t awful but they aren’t missing even on contested shots sometimes. Offense definitely moving quicker.

They have one thing we seem to be a bit short on and that’s length. 

5 fouls including two on Nolan’s and Allen within ten minutes isn’t great either. 

Edited by Andrew