Boise State fires head coach

Travis

46 minutes ago, NT93 said:

BUT, I think it’s lost on many people here how close we are to having anywhere from a decent to great record.  

North Texas has the 11th best offense in the FBS by total yards per game (471.3).

If we had an average defense instead of the one giving up the most yards in the FBS (477.7), I could see us having 3-4 more wins.

• Upvote 4

On 11/14/2023 at 12:28 AM, Green Mean said:

Hayden Fry hasn't been here for 45 years. Life and times are vastly different now. The fan base that lived through those Fry years can't keep on having the barometer of what Fry did or didn't do and think things are the same today.

How many regulars here ever had their butts in Fouts cheering for North Texas when Fry was coach?

The closest I get was being a kid who watched a few games on a UHF channel when Bill Mercer was calling the games, and Fry left when I was 11 so I might've watched a Jerry Moore- or Bob Tyler-led team.

9 hours ago, NT93 said:

Our 5 one score games only gets us to 8-2.  

BUT, I think it’s lost on many people here how close we are to having anywhere from a decent to great record.  

While I get your point… i do. Everytime i have heard this kind of line we have had a really bad team.  I have heard EM say as much and it reminds me of dodge saying something similar. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Travis said:

While I get your point… i do. Everytime i have heard this kind of line we have had a really bad team.  I have heard EM say as much and it reminds me of dodge saying something similar. 

difference is dodge's first couple of teams weren't remotely competitive

• Upvote 2

Until we win one or two of these past 4 games I won’t believe it. Close was Dodge, close is Eric. 

Now I do think we beat Tulsa and UAB to finish 5-7. That frankly makes it more confusing because we didn’t beat one of the big 4. And while I am hopeful of this 2-0 record that UAB squad could be better than I give them credit for. See the thread on our opponents W/L records. Also see that Tulsa Tulane game.   

Either way we need to be ruthless at this point. Fire Caponi fix the defense and continue strengthening this nationally potent offense. Cannot hold back anymore. You seize your chances (Caponi) or get your chances elsewhere. All eyes on you Eric. This is your chance too.

GMG

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

difference is dodge's first couple of teams weren't remotely competitive

That’s very true for year two. Year three was like year one.  We were ‘in’ a lot of games but that’s worthless. But with year one and three he was only ‘two plays away’ from winning like 5-6 games. And that got old hearing crap like that. Hell, i even heard Mac say that once and I was like… oh man that’s always a mark of a bad team. 

Edited by Travis

11 minutes ago, Travis said:

That’s very true for year two. Year three was like year one.  We were ‘in’ a lot of games but that’s worthless. But with year one and three he was only ‘two plays away’ from winning like 5-6 games. And that got old hearing crap like that. Hell, i even heard Mac say that once and I was like… oh man that’s always a mark of a bad team. 

I remember his face after we blew the Ohio game in OT..... could've been 2-0. Was downhill from there 

14 hours ago, rcade said:

How many regulars here ever had their butts in Fouts cheering for North Texas when Fry was coach?

The closest I get was being a kid who watched a few games on a UHF channel when Bill Mercer was calling the games, and Fry left when I was 11 so I might've watched a Jerry Moore- or Bob Tyler-led team.

Coach Rod Rust at Fouts when I was a student at North Texas...been through a lot as a fan!

• Upvote 2