Is Hedlund untouchable?

Jonnyeagle

Every program should have conference championship expectations, and especially with going into a new conference, that is a perfect time for new/updated standards to be set. Hedlund should probably have the longest leash because of his past success, but the leash should at least exist. The program's best years should not be behind it since we still haven't won an NCAA Tournament game.

That is the opinion of someone who doesn't know the X's and O's of soccer. Someone else can compliment or complain about Hedlund's coaching strategy/recruiting.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

NT did not have a first team all conference soccer player, I wonder if that has ever happened: I doubt it.

One second team and one freshman

Speaking of Hedlund, where was he in the final game.  Hope it is was not an illness or family emergency, but it was funny there was no reason given.

Is Hedlund the right coach for this team? Yes. Transitioning to a new conference is nothing new. I believe it’s Hedlund’s third move. He’s figured out how to compete in a higher caliper pool and win championships each time.

Will this move to AAC take longer to excel in? Absolutely. And Hedlund should be given the opportunity based on past leadership.

This past year we’ve shown a better job of possessing from back line through the midfield. Huge improvement thanks to transfer pickups. Would be nice to see more connecting among our forwards and creativity. Relying on ball being played over the opponents back line utilizing athleticism to score is too easy to defend at this level and in NCAA tournament play.

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

NT did not have a first team all conference soccer player, I wonder if that has ever happened: I doubt it.

One second team and one freshman

I’m still trying to figure out how Jenna Sheely didn’t get recognized. She was the most consistent player throughout the year, even more so during conference play. Led team in goals, work horse of the midfield, worked back on defense, fitness was unbelievable, soccer IQ team best, went 4 for 4 on penalty kicks.

She represented UNT well and very much deserved a first or second team accolade, IMO.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

YES, he is untouchable, but what a disappointing finish after the team was firmly in the NCAA Tournament via RPI. Sorry will not buy the moving up to AAC argument. Only 2 teams better were SMU and Memphis the rest are no better than CUSA. Stop making excuses for an epic collapse. 

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I heard we were  hit with a rash of injuries this year.  Is there a list of players that are/were out?

There were a few throughout the season but no more than normal. I think starting defender was out majority of season, subbed-in forward out last 3-4 games.

This team was mentioned to be deepest roster in some time, if so, then one could say plug and play failed us.

I’d say lack of creativity more so than injuries failed us.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, untbowler said:

YES, he is untouchable, but what a disappointing finish after the team was firmly in the NCAA Tournament via RPI. Sorry will not buy the moving up to AAC argument. Only 2 teams better were SMU and Memphis the rest are no better than CUSA. Stop making excuses for an epic collapse. 

Right. Doesn’t look good for UNT when 3 of the 8 teams playing in today‘s AAC conference tournament were previous CUSA opponents. UAB, Charlotte, Florida Atlantic

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Shotshagger said:

There were a few throughout the season but no more than normal. I think starting defender was out majority of season, subbed-in forward out last 3-4 games.

This team was mentioned to be deepest roster in some time, if so, then one could say plug and play failed us.

I’d say lack of creativity more so than injuries failed us.

Hasnt this been a Hedlund issue for the past few years?

He is the winningest coach in UNT history, but we've never beaten a ranked team or scored a goal in the NCAA Tournament..... sometimes people just reach plateaus. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The season was a big disappointment, especially because at the beginning it looked so promising. To then miss out on not just the NCAA, but even the conference tournament... even without expectations that cannot be the standard you need to reach.

If he was not physically at the last games, then there is probably something going on that is not being said openly, but speculation about what is idle.

But if we assume that the absence was just a long and tough flu or something like that, then I would say he earned enough respect to not get fired immediately because of the last two seasons. But that does not mean his seat is not warming up. Miss the conference tournament again and it might well happen.

I doubt Brad Stracke and Sujay Lama were seeing Odessa college and Arkansas State as their dream destinations 3 years ago.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

If you study NT soccer which has all been under Hedlund, you can discern a concerning trend.   NT has almost entirely until the last few years been able to recruit the best players out of the metroplex. 

The last few years NT has signed a number of out of area and state players.  Despite, this being on the surface, a promising trend; I think it is just the opposite.  

Hedlund (NT) is no longer getting the cream of the area players that didn't get ACC level offers.  Much of this is due to women's soccer getting more popular and competition getting substantially better.  

I watched most of the games last year, and it seemed obvious to me that NT no longer has an advantage over most conference teams in the skill level of players.  

For those who don't know, Hedlund was hired to be the first men's soccer coach at NT. Than title 9 happened and the men's soccer and several other men sports were sacrificed.  He than became the women's coach, which gave him and NT a great advantage over other teams.  How many other women's program had an ex pro player directing their program.

I do hope I am way off on my analysis and NT returns to dominated the AAC.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that the soccer team played in the American Conference this past year.  If so, they were playing in a higher conference without the benefit of being able to recruit to the American.  They have taken 12 recruits of higher stature this year in their first year of recruiting to the AAC.  The new conference should tell if Hedlund gets enthused again or is he just burned out.  My guess is that the American Athletic Conference is just what he needed.