I Seem to Bring This Up Every Year

UNTLifer

This reminds me, I swear on the sidelines I see Larry Moore (6'6" 275) switch to #97, but I don't pay attention long enough to see if he goes in as a DL or as a TE/6th OL. 

Anyone else notice this or do I need new glasses? 

• Upvote 2

Seems like an obvious solution but i don't think you can make that change during the season. We're stuck for the immediate future. Same with big athletic TEs who don't fit what they want to do on offense. Many of these kids played multiple positions in HS or would probably be willing to learn a new position if it means getting playing time. Let's not let their size and athleticism go to waste.

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, UNT_FH_FR_YR said:

This reminds me, I swear on the sidelines I see Larry Moore (6'6" 275) switch to #97, but I don't pay attention long enough to see if he goes in as a DL or as a TE/6th OL. 

Anyone else notice this or do I need new glasses? 

Yes, I noticed this as well.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Seems like an obvious solution but i don't think you can make that change during the season. We're stuck for the immediate future. Same with big athletic TEs who don't fit what they want to do on offense. Many of these kids played multiple positions in HS or would probably be willing to learn a new position if it means getting playing time. Let's not let their size and athleticism go to waste.

JJ Watt was a TE moved to DE who thrived in a 3 man front. That's setting the bar pretty high, but we definitely need good athletes at these positions.  I want to say West Wilson played TE/DE in HS? 

19 minutes ago, UNT_FH_FR_YR said:

JJ Watt was a TE moved to DE who thrived in a 3 man front. That's setting the bar pretty high, but we definitely need good athletes at these positions.  I want to say West Wilson played TE/DE in HS? 

Yeah JJ Watt is one of the more famous TE to DE transitions. If it even just provides solid depth to the rotation, It's better than being the 3rd guard that never plays.

At the NFL level, teams like the Cowboys and the Giants (during their recent-ish Super Bowl runs) adopted the philosophy of frequent defensive line substitutions. The idea is to constantly have fresh pass rushers to take advantage of fatigued offensive linemen since that group doesn't usually substitute in and out. We can't do that if we're so limited by size.

• Upvote 2