After 4 games, how do we feel about Coach Morris?

3_n_out

9 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

A+. A little concern on Saturday that the second half would be a snooze fest but it was a good, competitive back and forth with true freshman Evan Jackson making a big play late. Also have 4 🧩 commits who have yet to announce. Potential there for some real game changers.

4+ commits? We seem to be getting a lot of DBs and WRs. I’m hoping for size and/or those that belong in the trenches

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

A+. A little concern on Saturday that the second half would be a snooze fest but it was a good, competitive back and forth with true freshman Evan Jackson making a big play late. Also have 4 🧩 commits who have yet to announce. Potential there for some real game changers.

I admire your commitment to this bit

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

Was feeling a lot better after LaTech.  Looked like the defense might make some adjustments and with a bye week could actually see even more.  Then Saturday happened and we were moving back in the wrong direction.

It’s confusing to see our offense adjusting and getting our best players in position to make plays, while our defense looks like it is determined to stubbornly stick to a philosophy that might pay off after a few recruiting cycles.  The offense is trying to win now, with a defense that wants to win later (if ever…I can’t stand the prevent and that’s basically our base set).

• Upvote 3

With only a quarter of the season over, I can't honestly give him anything other than an Incomplete at this point.  However, this isn't a rebuild scenario.  Regardless of how you feel about them or how watered-down they have become, we have been a consistent bowl team (yes, we lost them, but there are many programs that don't even make it to the post-season).  We also played in a conference championship game last year.  Weak conference perhaps, but 6 moved up to the AAC and only two played in it.  So far we are 2-1 against the teams I had us penciled in for wins.  The next 8 is the meat of the schedule and will tell the full story.  It seems, however, that the AAC may be weaker than initially projected so we may be able to steal a win or two here or there that I previously didn't think we had shot at.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I really don't know how you could give him better than a D+ at this point.  Coming into this season, we were favored in the majority of games, and we were barely underdogs against Cal.  QB play is very encouraging, as with some other units, but overall we have very clearly underperformed.  At this point, most of us are saying "Hit 4" for the season, which is a far cry from where we were one month ago.  I firmly believe the previous staff would have given us significantly better overall results to this point.

There is time to turn things around this season, and plenty of time to turn things around for his coaching tenure here.  But right now, I'll give him a D+ and feel generous doing so.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 3

The first 6 quarters: a solid F. The 10 quarters since: C+. He solved the most important position which is something NT only had with Fine in the last 10 years. But there are 21 other starting positions on O and D, and most of those on D are far from where they need to go in terms of productivity.

C+ is not gonna keep him in Denton 3 years from now. He needs to improve further, but it is encouraging that he at least moved in the right direction a bit. I like my coaches capable of learning from their mistakes. That was a real issue with both MacCarney and Littrell, who -once they found something that worked for one of their teams- were fairly stubborn in the years after that.

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

On 10/2/2023 at 11:25 AM, TIgreen01 said:

The offense is trying to win now, with a defense that wants to win later (if ever…I can’t stand the prevent and that’s basically our base set).

You are correct but it is worst than running the prevent.  They just don’t have the size to only have 6 lineman/Linebackers in the box.  That negative is compounded by not having a “P5 level starter" at the Joker position.  I haven't extensively studied the 3-3-5 but as a philosophy it is predicated one player being extremely effective and versatile like 46.  The 46 is named for the number of strong safety at the time  Buddy Ryan created/refined it.   If that strong safety can't do everything assigned to him at high level the defense isn't really that good.

So they are always chasing a good Joker, I think the joke is on us fans.

Edited by Meangreen Fight
  • Upvote 2