Rogers gets the start against LA Tech

GMG_Dallas

16 minutes ago, NT80 said:

This is the problem most try to say is poor coaching...

instead, it's about not having enough of the right personnel.

I am not disagreeing that we may not have enough of the right personnel, but who is responsible for getting the right personnel? 

The portal has removed the built in coaching excuse of needing time to recruit guys from HS.  This excuse has been proven false with countless examples of coaches getting it done.

• Upvote 5

41 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

I am not disagreeing that we may not have enough of the right personnel, but who is responsible for getting the right personnel? 

The portal has removed the built in coaching excuse of needing time to recruit guys from HS.  This excuse has been proven false with countless examples of coaches getting it done.

Oh absolutely. A lot of the coaches who come out and are at least stable if not immediately successful come in with some of their guys in hand through their connections and previous stops. Did we get a bunch of transfers from Iowa State, Texas Tech, UIW, and WSU with this staff?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

I agree, the portal is a much faster way to build a roster.  But a lot of moving pieces involved with a coaching change.  Did Morris have enough time to hire assistants and staff plus get their input on portal guys?   

And remember, every player taken from the portal is not a guarantee to be the fix until they show they are.... ie Jace Ruder, Grant Gunnell, etc

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

I agree, the portal is a much faster way to build a roster.  But a lot of moving pieces involved with a coaching change.  Did Morris have enough time to hire assistants and staff plus get their input on portal guys?   

And remember, every player taken from the portal is not a guarantee to be the fix until they show they are.... ie Jace Ruder, Grant Gunnell, etc

They had an entire spring practice to evaluate the roster before the spring portal opened up.  If they felt like they needed an overhaul there were no signs of urgency at DL.  I think we brought in 1 player for the DL.

I think the sad truth is that this staff got caught standing flat footed and did not do a good job of evaluating their roster and are now paying the price.

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

They had an entire spring practice to evaluate the roster before the spring portal opened up.  If they felt like they needed an overhaul there were no signs of urgency at DL.  I think we brought in 1 player for the DL.

I think the sad truth is that this staff got caught standing flat footed and did not do a good job of evaluating their roster and are now paying the price.

Yes, definitely need more bulk and speed on defense.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

This is my biggest concern. I never liked it at the time but after Seth Litrell struck out with the first 18 defensive lineman he offered he would sign a big body JUCO player who wasn't highly skilled but could hold up blockers somewhat at the least back when he ran a 3 man front. Guys like Caleb Colvin, Darrian McMillan, Sa'afi etc. I am even more concerned after watching the video below that breaks down the Iowa State 335, and not because I think the scheme is stupid. We don't have the guys to run it now, and it's not going to be any prettier six games from now. The mismatched boxes will continue, the big runs will continue, we just don't have the personnel for it. The most important position of this defense in my opinion is the middle or star safety. They chose to roll with the RS FR with zero starts under his belt Patrick Smith. Watch the FIU highlights and keep your eye on the middle safety during the big runs. I could write a novel on how bad this is not working so far.

My conclusion is this, and I mean it with all sincerity. I think we when the season is over, numbers wise, this will be the worst defense we have seen since the new stadium opened. We better average 42+ PPG from here on out.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, NT80 said:

This is the problem most try to say is poor coaching...

instead, it's about not having enough of the right personnel.

Agreed. And while we talk about the transfer portal being a quick fix there are only a limited number of game changers in the marketplace. It appears that we overall have been on the short end of the stick with this recent recruiting wrinkle while SMU, for example, has thrived in its environment. I used to think its a UNT perception problem,but with the immediate influx of transfers into Texas State under their first year coach I no longer do. The bottom line is that Littrell didn't leave much and Morris didn't add much. I have followed North Texas football since my freshman year of 1961 and this years defense makes last years look good, which I thought was impossible.

• Upvote 1